low carb snack food - food mentioned

eyeontheprize

can see the end in sight!
hello all,

i'm coming off CD in a week or so to go to Glastonbury fest, (yay!) which i am so excited about.

I will be taking one bar and one tetra for a day, and hopefully having a low carb meal nightime. not going to worry about it too much as its my only holiday this year and i have been looking forward to it for ages!

basically, i am looking for some low carb snack foods? as it's such a long day a glasto, and you walk so much that it's knackering, i need something high in protien and low in carbs to munch on. i was thinking along the line of peanuts, almonds, etc etc. things that will keep without needing to be refridgerated.

don't mind so much if they are higher in calories as i will be burning them off dancing and walking etc etc. last year at glasto i lost half a stone just through walking everywhere.

alcohol is no problem as even though i love the pear cider from brothers bar, i will forgo it this year as i dont want a mega glycogen gain AND i dont want to get sick as i haven't drunk in nearly 6 months!

any help and suggestions would be muchly appreciated!

brazil nuts are a great low carb snack the fat is a healthy fat and great for keeping energy levels up - i use to work with doctors who snacked on these all day long around 12-18 a day she was a twig but kept her mind sharp ! ... it's so hard doing low carb snacks but i would avoid peanuts because of the salt really

hope you have a wonderful time !

thank you! brazil nuts are amazing, i will add those to the list. perfect, i think i will get some dry roasted peanuts, not salted. although i do have a weak spot for salt n vinegar peanuts, i will avoid at all costs.

Macademia nuts are ace too

What about making tofu jerky? Its pretty low carb and should keep alright in a cool bag

Re nuts you could always roast them in your oven with spices to make them flavoured - curried brazil nuts, some with venigar would be good too, vinegared and then roasted?

Do pepperamis need to be fridged?

What about tinned fish? I know it sounds weird but some tinned tuna/mackerel would work well as a night snack.

Seeds
Jerky - I have seen this in Tesco
Cheesestrings/babybels

Do pepperamis need to be fridged?

What about tinned fish? I know it sounds weird but some tinned tuna/mackerel would work well as a night snack.

Seeds
Jerky - I have seen this in Tesco
Cheesestrings/babybels

I agree with the tinned fish idea; portable, no need to refrigerate and easy to eat; just dig in with a fork. Tasty, too...

As for Peperami, I don't believe they need to be fridged, you can buy them on a backing card, you know like you see nuts in the pub... Also, they do some Peperami mini's now, for lunchboxes. They're a third less fat?

Hey hon .
Just wanted to say hope you have a great time.. I have know idea about what food is good to have but the above all sounds great.....
Have a wonderful time you so deserve to you have done fab x

thank you everyone for your replies! much appreciated. you can tell how much i used to overload on carbs before, i now have no idea what a nice healthy low carb snack is, sad isn't it!

Lexie and Lunar Jim - I will take some of those flavoured tuna john west packs methinks, thats a fab idea.

I also LOVE pepperamis! nice one.

macadamia nuts, brazil nuts, almonds are all on the list as well.

can babybels be kept out of the fridge?

sorted!! thanks Curly, you're so sweet and supportive.

I would take mushrooms, celery and radishes if you can fit them in - eat raw for the healthiest-ever snacks! :D (I snack on these all the time!)

Celery is great! Unfortunately IMHO with a squirting of Primula cheese down the middle...
:D:D I squirt Salad Light spray down mine - not quite so tasty, but not bad! :) (And I always have organic celery, it really does taste much nicer.)

I just bought some broken Brazil nuts in H+B, and I don't like them! :eek: Is there some way I could cook them (or cook with them) to change the taste? (I also bought some almonds - are they low carb? They're lovely in any case - I'm not a big nut fan but they are my faves.)

In case anyone is wondering what on earth I'm up to, I've just gone onto 1000 calories and am experimenting! :)

Jaycey curry the nuts!

Dust them in curry powder and roast them in the oven, try to skin them if you can first (makes them taste less bitter), by placing them in a tea towel and rolling them back and forward birskly but not hard.

Dust them in curry spices and roast them.

Could perhaps even do a bit of powdered sweetner and cinnamon for sweet nuts?

Have a look on Low Carb forums for nuts ideas.

What is tofu jerky? Thanks!

Have a fab time at Glastonbury - hope it stays dry for you!!

Tofu Jerky, take a slab of firm tofu, cut it into thin strips and marinate in soy sauce, vinegar, spices/herbs

Lay on a baking tray and roast in a low oven for a few hours

Goes all chewy and dehydrated. Like beef jerky (dried meat) but tofu!

If it was me, I would be taking Cheesestrings- I used to be addicted to the little plastic things. I reckon them and Babybels would be fine out of the fridge as long as you keep them in a coolish place. Also love Cashews and pine nuts.... yummy!

Thanks for nut ideas - currying is a great idea! (Will try the sweet idea too.) Don't think I'll have them too often though - lots of fat, even it it's 'good'! :cry::eek:

Back