Low-Carb Vegetables

ClaireCat

On a mission for boobs!
Ok, as requested, here is my list of low carb veg. This is just a list of the veg I consider "allowed" on slim & save, and isn't the same as what is currently recommended. Figures may not be exact because different sites list different amounts.

Carbs listed per 100g raw:

Aubergine 2.2g
Asparagus 3g
Bamboo Shoots 0.7g
Beansprouts 4g
Beetroot 5g
Broccoli 2g
Bok Choy 1g
Black Olives (per 10) 1g
Cabbage 1.5g
Cauliflower 2.3g
Celeriac 4g
Celery 1g
Courgette 2g
Curly Kale 1.5g
Cucumber 1.5g
Fennel 2g
Green Olives (per 10) 0.5g
Green Peppers 3g
Leeks 3g
Lettuce 1g
Marrow 1.5g
Mushrooms 3.5g
Pumpkin 2.2g
Radish 2g
Spinach 1.5g

Thats all I can think of at the moment, feel free to copy and add more to the list if you can think of any more :)

Hope its helpful for everyone!

Last edited:
This is *so* helpful, especially to a newbie like me - thank you! :D

P.S I like your avatar - I used to play WOW. :)

Hehe! I havent played all year *wanders off to log in and do some epic tanking!*

so do you actually eat beetroot then, eeek getting excited... obviously I wouldn't have 200g!

I occasionally stick my fork in the jar and eat a bit out of it! lol! I'm classy that way! :p

Theres about 0.5g carbs in a cherry tomato, so they're probably best. I'll add them to the list :)

Is there citric acid in tomatoes?

Yes and that's the problem, not the carbs x

Can anybody tell me what is classed as 'low carb' per 100g of anything? Does that make any sense? Lol like what does the carb content have to be less than to be classed as 'low carb'? Thanks for the list, very helpful xx

I always go with 5g or less per 100g.

Is there citric acid in tomatoes?

Yes and that's the problem, not the carbs x

Naturally occuring citric acid is not harmful. To be honest, I dont really understand what the big deal is with citric acid.

The chances of someone having an intolerance or adverse reaction to citric acid is very rare. Citric acid is present in all citrus fruits, berries, cheese, pineapple, tomatoes and wine. It is also used for flavoring and as a preservative in canned fruits and vegetables, beverages and mayonnaise.

If someone does have an intolerance to it then sure, definitly avoid it. It can irritate IBS and cause acid reflux.

I have heard that it can stall weight loss in some people, but thats always been from fizzy juice.

It's not about an intolerance to citric acid it's that for a number of people citric acid takes them out of ketosis - so obviously a problem for VLCDs.

Really? I didn't know that. I'll take tomatoes off the list when I get to a computer.

Not even 9am and I've learnt something new already! :)

I stand corrected - 2 new things! I discovered I can edit my posts from my mobile! Lol!

ClaireCat said:
I stand corrected - 2 new things! I discovered I can edit my posts from my mobile! Lol!

Ooooo - how do you do that?!

I just held my finger over my post and it came up and asked me if I wanted to cur, copy or edit! I was do impressed lol

I'll have to give that a go! Do you know if you can like a post from the app? I'd love to be able to do that...

You can if you go through your browser but its not as quick as an app I shouldnt think!!! X

Back