low/free snacks that are satisfying?

joyfulspirit

you know, ones that feel susbstantial in your mouth? :D

may favourites are almonds at the moment, and water biscuits, both low syns and the almonds are great cos they feel creamy and take a lot of chewing!
bananas too, as they feel quite dense and fill my mouth :D

anyone else have favourites i could try?

Pod peas....I luv em!! Opening up the pods, is like unwrapping sweets :D They're superspeed's too!! Whoop whoop!!

I luv raw potato too...not sure how they fit in tho, cos they might be food abuse :rolleyes: (not sure)!!

Raw potato?!? Explain!!!!!

With you on the banana-seriously filling fruit! Ham roll ups - ham ( or any slices meat really) filled with ff cottage cheese and rolled up-sometimes stick pineapple in there too!

Peas are great, tasty and take a bit of fiddling to get at :D Almonds?!?! :eek: You know they're about half a syn *each* right? :confused: Yow, once I start on something like that I cant stop at one or two :(

I'm really into 28g oats mixed with a muller light. I leave it in fridge for few hours and its like eating really thick tast yoghurt. Its soooo good! I have it as a snack not for brekkie! Also I make wafer thin chicken filled with cottage cheese just as quick snack on red day. I eat rainbow drops in front of tv or at the cinema instead of popcorn. 11 syns for 80g bag and it lasts ages. Sometimes I only eat half. I also like raw potatoe on a green day! Mmm

:S noooooo! i didn't know that!!!!
must be a WW hangover *waaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!*

Mmmm I have snap peas nearly every day at lunch time, all day long as I snack away really :D And baby sweetcorn, baby plum tomatoes.

Crispbreads and Marmite and Meringe nests x

ermintrude said:
Not together I hope! :eek::D

My thoughts exactly!! Hehe!!!!! Xx

I luv raw potato too...not sure how they fit in tho, cos they might be food abuse :rolleyes: (not sure)!!

Out of interest and safety :potatoes contain poison in the stems and leaves – and even in the potato itself if left to turn green (the green is due to a high concentration of the glycoalkaloid poison). Potato poisoning is rare, but it does happen from time to time. The majority of cases of death by potato in the last fifty years in the USA have been the result of eating green potatoes or drinking potato leaf tea.

I found this:-

Potatoes: The potato plant is toxic. It contains an alkaloid named solanine that appears in all the external parts of the plant. It is also found in the tender buds of the tubers during the germination process. Excessive ingestion of raw potato can produce gastro-intestinal, liver, as well as heart damage.

I have never eaten raw Potato myself - I didn't know u could ;)

.....and this as I am fascinated!!

QUESTION: I grew up on a farm in Minnesota, and I always used to like eating raw potatoes like apples. I still like them better raw than cooked, with a little salt on them. My mother always said they were healthier that way. Was she right?

- RLL, via e-mail

ANSWER: Although not a common component in the American diet, the eating of raw potatoes has footing in some family traditions. There are some considerations and interesting science regarding eating them this way.

The potato plant produces a number of defensive (toxic) substances in the upper plant (leaves, stems and above-ground fruit), but they are not in the below-ground tubers, which are the "potatoes" we're familiar with. However, a potato (tuber) that's been injured, exposed to sunlight or stored for an extended period of time might begin to sprout or develop patches of green. The green is chlorophyll, produced by photosynthesis.

Chlorophyll is not toxic, but if photosynthesis has begun, it means that toxic alkaloids, such as solanine, will be also present. Green potatoes and especially potato sprouts, should never be eaten. Cooking does not deactivate these toxins.

The raw potato also contains antinutrients that act as enzyme (protease) inhibitors. This might be a consideration if you don't eat well and crunching on raw spuds is a regular part of your diet.

The August 2006 issue of the Journal of Food Science looked at three of the enzyme inhibitors found in raw potatoes and how they decreased during cooking. These substances tend to be in the peel, so you might consider removing the peel. You'll also lose some of the nutrients, but it's a reasonable trade.

Unlike cooked potatoes, some of the starch in raw potatoes is digested poorly. Called "resistant starch," it passes through the small intestine into the large intestine, where it ends up being fermented by the flora that live there.

Similar to what happens when we eat legumes, this can result in increased fecal bulk, bloating and possibly some undesirable gastrointestinal effects. All this has a positive side in that the fermentation of resistant starches increases the production of butyrate, a fatty acid that is associated with favorable effects on diseases in the colon.

A study in the March 2009 issue of Gut reported how resistant starch had positive effects in colon cancer patients. Another benefit is that raw potatoes don't increase blood sugar like their cooked counterpart.

Interestingly, a study in the November 2005 issue of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported that if you chill a cooked potato, you regain some of this effect. (In that study, they served the chilled potatoes with a vinegar dressing.)

The bottom line is that if you want to eat raw potatoes, aside from peeling them, look for fresh, unblemished, unsprouted potatoes with no hint of green. If you have a choice, opt for potatoes that are grown organically.

There is a complete list of potato nutrients at tinyurl.com/dyerf5. This list represents the nutrients in the raw potato. Cooked potatoes have less vitamin C, thiamine and riboflavin. When eating cooked potatoes, include the skin if you can.

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back