Low Glucose levels

cyberjelly

Hi, Don't know if anyone can help me with this, has some blood test done and came back with a glucose level of 3.7, was told nothing to worry about. The doctor seemed to feel it was because I hadn't eaten dispite having it at 2pm after lunch.

But I have been feeling light headed and have passed out 3 times inhte last 6 months. I am now having it checked again.

But someone told me that because I eat alot of fruit (6 a day over the day) and my body has to get used to my new eating plan (been target member almost a year after losing 5 stone) that could be why, then someone told me I have probably become diabetic!

Any ideas from any medical type people?

Thanks

hmmm 3.7 sounds ok to me, blood sugar should be between 4-7 so 3.7 although a tiny bit low wouldn't be something to worry about,

when you've passed out did you need any intervention before you came round or did you just come round on your own? any chest pain or palpitations? any dizziness?

bit of a rude question now, how old are you? do you have periods?

sounds to me more like a blood pressure problem than a blood sugar problem tbh

get checked out again at the docs, make sure you eat plenty of iron rich foods and drink plenty of fluids

good luck and let us know how you get on xx

hmmm 3.7 sounds ok to me, blood sugar should be between 4-7 so 3.7 although a tiny bit low wouldn't be something to worry about,

when you've passed out did you need any intervention before you came round or did you just come round on your own? any chest pain or palpitations? any dizziness? Usually I start to feell dizzy and have to lie down then usually just come round on my own, I have been having fainting for years but nothing as bad a s this.

bit of a rude question now, how old are you? do you have periods? Not a rude question, I am 46 (but have had hormone level checked and they said I was not going through the change) Had hyserectomy at 40 so no periods since then.

sounds to me more like a blood pressure problem than a blood sugar problem tbh Have low BP anyway due to underactive thyroid (standing pulse is only 54)

get checked out again at the docs, make sure you eat plenty of iron rich foods and drink plenty of fluids My iron level also came back normal so I know I'm not anemic, I drink about 2 to 3 litres of fluid a day.

good luck and let us know how you get on xx

What gets me is the fact that I pass out in such low temperatures, First timein a room that was -6 (visiting ice sculptures), last time it snowed and during the last cold snap here when I had to go out.
I am being refured to the hospital but its just the doctor didn't seem to know why this was happening.

Will keep you informed and Thank you Kerryathome

My son is a type 1 diabetic and when his sugar levels reach below 4 it becomes an Emergancy, we have to pump sugar into him to avoid a seizure. I also have an inactive thyroid and unfortunately when I don't eat enough I also pass out, possibly due to low sugar levels. For me it's all down to my carb intake, because having an inactive thyroid makes weight loss impossible for me I try to avoid carbs as much as possible and it hits me hard. But I wouldn't say 3.7 is safe, certainly isn't safe for my son when he hits that level xxxx

As an insulin dependant diabetic it probably is low for your son, but that's very individual and a diabetic needs to know their levels, for someone without diabetes 3.7 is fine, really.

the fact that the OP comes round spontaneously would also indicate not related to blood sugar,

the fact that resting Hr is around 54 and the body will slow the heart rate down in extreme temps may be more relevant, they might do some tests to monitor your heart rate and BP over a period of time to see if there is anything there,

good luck x

Ok Quick update,

Had anpother blood test which came back again as 3.7. (again at 2pm after I had eaten, vegi soup Mixed fruit salad and cup of no suger tea)
Doctor has already refered me to the hospital for the fainting but I'm stillnot happy with the explanation about he glucose level.
Not sure whether its worth talking to another doctor?

Any ideas?

How did you feel in yourself when you had glucose test. Did you feel faint then or did you feel ok?

How did you feel in yourself when you had glucose test. Did you feel faint then or did you feel ok?

Thanks Kerryathome

Blood tests don't bother me as I have an underaactive thyroid and have them each year.

Been feeling OK with regards to self, get a dizzy feeling but just shrug it off and get on with things.

Strange as I run 3 times a week so get really hot but never feel dizzy then.

Just have to wait and see what the hospital say now.

Kerry love your leathers, I'm waiting to find a 2 piece set I like. May have to ge off to the Bike show in Novemebr to get some.

I got those leathers at a second hand shop in Newcastle, £95 the set bargain! I'm just pillion mind, have no interest in learning to ride myself.

My money is still on it being a problem with your heart and low temps, maybe an age related thing? a few ladies in their late 40s at work have been having similar problems too, don;t know if thats your age but hormones something to consider too xx

Thanks Kerryathome,
Had hormone levels checked (I'm 47). But came back normal.

Just think I'll plod along until I get the hospital appointment and see what happens from then.

Thanks for your help

Back