Lynn's Diary - My Big Fat Weight Loss Journey

Lynn,

I feel your frustration, its must be awful being stuck.. I think that you may have something with the low cals. Maybe you need to have a refeed week to get your metabolism moving again. So even if you go up a couple of pounds, the following weeks your metabolism will probably be ok. I think on lighter life they do that.. if you know what foods cause your blood sugar to increase, maybe avoid those but aim for 1200 cals per day for a week. I'm no expert but it may be worth a try... whatever you do, at some point your body will give in and drop the weight..

Love that the miracle suit has such an effect..I bought one for my hols and i loved it. Now it doesnt do anything and falls down, shame as it was so expensive.. well my local charity shop is going to be well stocked again!

Have a good weekend Lynn xxx

I am actually suprised you can survive on 500 kcals a day. Surely that cant be good for you, even on a diet. Our body still needs food to even survive.
I hope that works out for you.
I am not sure whether i should be on a low carb diet. I am type 2 diabetic controlled by diet and metformin once a day. Though the last visit to the doctor he said he may be able to take me off them soon.
I dont know if i crave food as such. I am fine during the day. Evenings are my downfall. I average about 1800-1900cals a day. I swim everyday and walk about 2 miles every evening. But the weight is very slow at the moment to come off. Maybe i should be cutting down on carbs? Any ideas?

I am actually suprised you can survive on 500 kcals a day. Surely that cant be good for you, even on a diet. Our body still needs food to even survive.
I hope that works out for you.
I am not sure whether i should be on a low carb diet. I am type 2 diabetic controlled by diet and metformin once a day. Though the last visit to the doctor he said he may be able to take me off them soon.
I dont know if i crave food as such. I am fine during the day. Evenings are my downfall. I average about 1800-1900cals a day. I swim everyday and walk about 2 miles every evening. But the weight is very slow at the moment to come off. Maybe i should be cutting down on carbs? Any ideas?

Given that my weight has stalled for 2 weeks i dont think im best placed to advise anyone lol.

But, you are diabetic Slim so maybe you should look at reducing carbs, or at the very least ensure any carbs you do eat are high complex carbs. Really that means avoiding 'white' carbs. White bread, sugar, flour, potatoes, pasta and white rice basically. Do you test your bloods regularly? Its good though that your doc is looking at taking you off the meds, so your long term bloods must be doing good.

Maybe if you avoid the bad carbs and drop your calories by about 200 to 1600 to 1700 a day you might see some improvement? But you have to do whats best for you and what works for you.

Good luck with it Slim, you have done amazingly well so far.

I dont have white bread only wholemeal pita bread. I dont have sugar apart from whats naturally in food. I have potatoes nearly every day or rice or pasta.
I am going to try a week without pasta, rice or spuds then. What do you have in place of them? You know, something to go with your meat and veg. Or am in the rut where i think that a meal must contain meat(fish), starch foods and veg?
I can eat a meal without pots or pasta anyway. Its not essential.
I'm going to try it anyway and if that helps me lose my 4lb by thursday then i will be over the moon. And i'll love you lots, lol.

Lynn,

I think that you may have something with the low cals. Maybe you need to have a refeed week to get your metabolism moving again.

This is what im thinking too. Given that my bloods are coming in at a good number now at around 5.2 im thinking of dropping either the morning or evening byetta so that i can eat a bit more, even if i do it just for a week, as long as i test regularly to see whats going on blood sugar wise. If i stick to low carb then it shouldnt impact my blood reading too much and will mean i can eat more. I just need to kick start my metabolism again.

I dont have white bread only wholemeal pita bread. I dont have sugar apart from whats naturally in food. I have potatoes nearly every day or rice or pasta.
I am going to try a week without pasta, rice or spuds then. What do you have in place of them? You know, something to go with your meat and veg. Or am in the rut where i think that a meal must contain meat(fish), starch foods and veg?
I can eat a meal without pots or pasta anyway. Its not essential.
I'm going to try it anyway and if that helps me lose my 4lb by thursday then i will be over the moon. And i'll love you lots, lol.

Try brown rice instead of potatoes white rice or pasta, i love brown rice it tastes so much nicer than white anyway, but needs cooking a little longer. Of the 3, pasta is probably the worst culprit.

Also, have you tried celeriac mashed instead of potato? It has a slight celerey taste, so if you dont like celery it wont be any good for you, but its much lower in carbs than potatoes. I mash it with black pepper and a little grated lemon rind, delicious!

Last edited:
Food today
B. Total greek 0% yog with a tsp of cocoa powder and a tsp of fruit sugar stirred into it. 115 cals. A tangerine - 40 cals
Had breakfast late as i got up late, so wasnt hungry again till this evening
D. 2 small red mullet fillets cooked in a spalsh of Lloyd Grossman putenesca sauce with some Tesco frozen meditteranean veg mix, and a few florets of broccoli - about 220 for the mullet, 50 for the sauce, 80 for the veg - 350 cals

505 cals, and im still waiting to see if dinner is gonna make me feel sick, but so far ok.

I found a link yesterday extoling the benefits of chocolate, or cacao to be more precise. So ive ordered some high quality alkaline free cocoa powder from a company in Glastonbury, they also sell cacao nibs. The antioxidants in high quality cocoa powder is quite amazing, far greater than things like blueberries. It seems to be a little known superfood, hence the cocoa powder in my yoghurt this morning, albeit tesco own brand cocoa (pure cocoa, not drinking chocolate). I had to use some fruit sugar to sweeten it as cocoa on its own is quite bitter, but i bought some splenda today to use next time. It also makes a nice - ish drink if you put 1 tsp in a mug with boiling water and sweeten with whatever. Im not promising that it tastes wonderful, but its quite nice, and you get the benefits of a chocolate 'high' from it. I found a site that said a tbs of cocoa powder is 15 cals, but somehow i doubt it, maybe they meant a tsp.

This was the link regarding the benefits of chocolate and cocoa
The Cardiologist's Wife's Chocolate Too! Diet: No Sugar, Low Fat *&* Low Carb
and there are lots of other links there for info on the benefits of cacao

I used to drink hot cocoa all of the time as a kid, it was only as I grew up that I moved to the sweetened drinking chocolate, maybe I should try and revert.

I hope that you start feeling better hun.
I love how everyone comes to you for advice, you're amazing at giving it so it's no surprise really.
Best wishes for the week ahead.

Havent had cocoa since i was a child at my grandparents. That was our supper when we stayed there. 4 cream crackers, a little bit of cheese and a mug of cocoa. Aaaah memories.

Spent the afternoon at the spa with my gorgeous new miracle swimsuit! (and my gorgeous hubby of course!)

Bloods dropped very low this evening, i tested about 2 hours after dinner and was at 4.1. No wonder i feeling a bit weird. From tomorrow im gonna halve the glucophage for a few days, Im sure my doc would agree with that, but ill keep testing anyway to check how its going.

I weighed this morning (of course) and was at 12.8. This is the 4th time in the past fortnight that my weight has dropped to 12.8 for it to spring right back to the dreaded 12.9.5 the following day, so i await tomorrow mornings result. Fingers crossed that it will stay down tomorrow. It has to start moving down soon.

Food today
B. Exante vanilla shake made up with strong black coffee. I love this.
Didnt do lunch as we were out
D. Chicken breast cooked with frozen mediterrenean veg and the lloyd grossman sauce, and some broccoli. Felt sick after, but bloods were low as it turned out, so i made a cup of cocoa with a tsp of fruit sugar and i felt a lot better quite soon after that.

200 for B, about 330 for D, and 25 for cocoa and sugar. 555 cals

I will eat more during the week as my days are more structured than they are at weekends

Woohooo! 12.7!!! Finally, its moving down again. Just hope it doesnt do the yoyo thing again.

Well done Lynn. Finally some good news, lets hope it continues eh?
I have cut right down on my carbs since Saturday. Lets see if that makes any difference. I have also chucked my salt cellar away . Healthy said salt slows down weightloss. Roll on Thursday weigh in.

woop lynn well done on getting the weight moving again!! any tips? i have been sts for 3 weeks now grr? i have one of those miracle suits for swimming, does it do anything for you? cause i look quite the same in mine as any other swim suit lol
you are doing so well, you havent got far to go now have you? you are an amazing woman!!
xxx

woop lynn well done on getting the weight moving again!! any tips? i have been sts for 3 weeks now grr? i have one of those miracle suits for swimming, does it do anything for you? cause i look quite the same in mine as any other swim suit lol
you are doing so well, you havent got far to go now have you? you are an amazing woman!!
xxx

Thanks Sarah!

I wish i could tell you what made my weight move again, all i can say is that it had to move sooner or later, there was nothing else i could do bar eat nothing at all lol.

If you have hit a plateau all you can do is keep on with the diet and wait it out. But the fact is im almost a stone lighter than i was exactly a month ago, even with the stall so im pretty happy really :)

No, not far to go now, just over a stone to target and as long as i get there by christmas i will be thrilled. But 11 weeks to christmas and 16lb to go, I should do it, but given whats happened the last 2 weeks who knows.

Well done Lynn. Finally some good news, lets hope it continues eh?
I have cut right down on my carbs since Saturday. Lets see if that makes any difference. I have also chucked my salt cellar away . Healthy said salt slows down weightloss. Roll on Thursday weigh in.

I have my fingers crossed for you Slim, but im sure you wont regret cutting the carbs. I see you are going great guns with the celeriac! Im definatly going to have to try celeriac chips!

Ive been to Central London today for work, thats 3 times in the past week! I hate it. Hate trains, hate the underground hate the constant noise traffic and people. I wasnt even sure where i was going this morning, my scheduled appointment got cancelled friday, and i was told i was going to London then i was told i was going to Southampton, then London...............

I had to wait for someone to arrive at the office this morning at 9 before i found where i was going today. Discovered the best train to get was 9.36 from Basingstoke and still had to drive 10 miles to get to Basingstoke. So after sodding around all morning i left in a bit of a dash without making my lunch to take with me. Caught the train with seconds to spare. The one thing i do love about London is the sandwich shops, they are everywhere, down every side street you will usually find a little gem of a sandwich shop. They will have a glass fronted chilled cabinet with all the different sandwich ingrediants laid out, and your sandwich is made fresh in front of you to your spec. Wholemeal bread with no butter or spread? no problem, chicken and crispy bacon with no mayo? no problem, salad with a grating of black pepper and a sprinkle of lemon juice? no problem. London sandwich shop sandwiches are just pure bliss, an artform. And it was heavenly. As for the calories? ive no idea lol, but i think i can have a guess at it.

Food today
B. Total yoghurt with a tsp of cocoa and sweetener, and a nectarine - 175 cals
L. London sandwich - about 450 i suppose, and it was delicious
D. 2 small fillets of red mullet cooked with some veg and sauce - about 330.

Wow 955 cals today

Fantastic news Lynn, so glad your persistence has paid off!!!! Big congratulations on the weight loss youre an inspiration.

Another two pounds and youll have just one stone to go, wow !!!!!

Thanks for the cocoa tip, I'm going to try that too.. Also the celariac mash, Ive only ever had it in restaurants before, but will give it a go.

Have you ever had an egg white omlette? I tried my first one today and it was lovely, really filling and nowhere near as heavy as with the yolks. Also only 17 calories per egg white, no fat, no cholesterol, no carbs and high in protein!! Wow its my new fav food!

So happy the weight is moving again for you xxx

Today was not good lol, I thought i was supposed to be working at home today, as that was what was in the diary last week. So I sent my car back to Toyota yesterday afternoon and arranged a hire to be dropped off to me today. When i switched my laptop on i picked up some emails including the latest diary only to discover that i was supposed to be in Taunton today................

So a few frantic phone calls later the car was delivered and i set off for a 2 hour journey, arriving there just before midday.

I did take my lunch with me today tho.

Food today
B. exante shake - 200 cals - 18.5 carbs
L. Ham salad sandwich with small hovis, about 180 cals - 20 carbs
D. Sausages and chips! Yes, thats right i had sausages and chips for dinner, and god was it delicious. Slims celeriac chips and 2 high meat content low fat sausages, and a couple of tinned plum tomatoes with a good dash of worcestershire sauce on them. cals 250 for 2 sausages, about 70 for the celeriac chips (approx 200grm) and 15 for the tomatoes - total of 335 cals for the best dinner i have cooked myself in months! and low carb too at around 12 carbs.

Total today 715 cals plus i will prob have a 15 cal cocoa later.

Last edited:
Sausage and chips sounds so naughty but they're not if you do them that way.
Might try them with garam masala or cumin next time.

Back