Lynn's Diary - My Big Fat Weight Loss Journey

The change in you is amazing, you look fabulous!
Hope you don't have too much trouble working out how to maintain rather than lose anymore.
Best wishes.

I've not long joined the site, I love your diary, it's so inspirational! My mother has problems with her diabetes and weight loss and I'm wondering now if her meds could been re-assessed. I have had a break from my diet over the Christmas and New Year and about to restart over the next few days. It's stories like yours that help people make the right decision and find the will power to keep going. Well done! Awesome stuff!

Thanks Shiann! It might be worth your mother talking to her doc about the meds, some diabetic meds are horrendous for putting on weight, pioglitazone and gliclazide in particular were 2 i had problems with. Drugs such as Metformin/Glucophage can help with weight loss, but Byetta was the big turning point for me, but that was mainly due to feeling so nauseous on it at the start. But it gave me the boost i needed and i will always be grateful to my doc for putting me on it even though it was hell at times.

Im a lot more stable on the byetta now, and ive lost all the weight. My problem now is keeping it off. As for the diabetes, my last blood results in december came back as completly normal levels, and this was after 6 years of struggling with everything the doc could throw at me.

Good luck with your weight loss, I hope you do well.

I know that she was taking the metformin but her meds are changed so often I lose track. In your first post you said that the byetta was new in the uk. Are docs more likely to use these meds "later on" or is it readily available now? I'm calling my mother tomorrow any how, so I'll check with her to find out what "cocktail" they've got her making this time lol. As you said, the weight loss but the big problem, and she is always trying to find something to help her lose the weight. She has other health issues too so a mix of the wrong meds could bring up more problems.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, I hope I do well this time round! :)

Byetta came out in the US about 5 years ago, and many users have reported good weight losses with it, but almost everyone suffers from nausea to one degree or another on it.

It came to the UK just over 2 years ago, but was available only through hospitals initially, but has now been released for GP's to prescribe. However, it seems that the GP or practice nurse needs training with it before they can prescribe it. Also, its an expensive drug so some GP's may not be too keen to prescribe unless they have tried other avenues first. I think i just wore my GP into the ground lol.

Im also on Metformin in the form of Glucophage as well as the byetta, the belief is that metfomin/glucophage work very well in conjuction with byetta and my doc was keen to get me on both.

If you google byetta you will find tons of info on it.

Its not all plain sailing though, its a very new drug and there are some possibly negative side effects associated with it. But then, most drugs can have negative side effects, so as long as your GP and mother are happy with any potential risks then she should definately give it a try.

Thanks again, I will look into it and send her some info print offs. Well done again on your success! :)

Back