Lynn's Diary - My Big Fat Weight Loss Journey

Now i'm confused about low carbs and sugars Lynn. I have been cutting out carbs this last week or so and weightloss hasn't been as good as i want. Maybe my sugars are too low.
I don't have any added sugar though just checking my food intake and i am having 119g of sugar to 215g carbs. Which thinking about it actually is too high. I should be on about a third as a diabetic if i remember correctly.

Your carbs are too high Slim, you need to get them under 80g, preferably under 60g to get the benefit of low carb dieting. Exante for instance gives about 58g of carb a day. Anything over 130g is too much. Do you ever test your blood sugars? Boots sell cheap kits for about £10 or £15 and then you can get extra strips on prescription if you tell your doc which model you have. I have found that the optimum blood sugar level for me to lose weight is around 5.6 to 6.5, 5.6 is a normal reading, if i go under that then i dont lose weight.

If low carb is the way you want to go then you may have to look closely at what you are eating, and do some research on carbs. Let me know if you need any help with it.

Dont confuse blood sugar (blood glucose levels) readings with sugars in food. Your blood sugar/glucose reading is a direct result of the amount of insulin you may or may not be producing, low carbing helps keep insulin levels more steady, and helps keep blood sugars down. Its a balancing act for me to keep my blood sugars low enough, but not too low. Carbs are used by the body in preference to anything else first when it comes to converting to energy, and this in turn either stimulates insulin production, or puts your blood sugars too high if there isnt enough insulin produced. Diabetics need to do a bit of tricky balancing act to keep blood sugar levels and insulin levels steady.

Type 2 diabetics are insulin resistant, rather than not producing any at all, so your body does not respond properly to the amount of insulin you produce, this in turn causes a lot of knock on effects which i could ramble on about all day, and frequently do lol.

Last edited:
The thing is i am not on a diet as such, just a nutrition plan. So i am still eating 1900-2000kcals a day but because of the amount of exercise i am losing. Though saying that the last few days have been down to 1500ish. My apple and banana takes me to 39carbs already. I cant see how i can get below 60g.

Still 12.1.5 today which was a relief as i was wondering if the weight drop was an anomoly.

Im gonna say something now that totally winds me up when other (thin) people say it. I feel fat today. Im having a fat day, my stomach looks fat, I look fat. I quite proud of this as i have finally arrived in the realm of thin people and can confidently say I am fat..............even though im not. :D

My lovely hubby ( who happens to be lovlier than anyone elses hubby, especially when he buys me that ring he doesnt know about) ordered me a Kindle at the weekend, and it turned up today! I have a new toy to play with, so ive been busy on Amazon looking at kindle version books. I had the kindle app on my iphone, and was enthusiastic about it, so he said 'ill buy you a Kindle'. Now, he is also just as likely to say 'stop living' (his term for stop spending) so i guess i caught him on a good day. He has a lot of good days :D:D he really is lovely to me. Gives me a lot of hope for that ring...........

Anyway, back to the Kindle, i was surprised at how many free books there are available, so i have downloaded a couple. Im reading one about the musings of an an ambulance driver called Blood Sweat and Tea. It really is quite funny.

I had a call from the car hire people today. If you remember my car needs a new engine and is off the road for 2 weeks. I asked for a similar car, but specifically i asked for a DIESEL car. I got a thing that looks like a van with windows (Zafira) and guzzles PETROL like there is no tomorrow and more specifically like petrol costs the same as water. (actually , given the price of some bottled waters it probably does). Anyway, they rang me at 10am this morning when i was In Cardiff, wanting the car back TODAY. This was the first i had heard that they wanted it back today and i pointed that out to them, but the good news was they had another car for me. A brand new top of the range Vauxhall Insignia with just 130 miles on the clock, and its a saloon AND its DIESEL. Thank god. And not only that, its beautiful, i just love it and now i want one. My car is not up for renewal for another 18 months but i will definately be looking at an Insignia when it is. The bad news is that my car has had the new engine put in and will probably be ready for collection on Thursday.

Food today
B. Exante shake - 200 cals
L. Ham sandwich and a nectarine - 250 cals
D. Chicken curry - 300 cals

Total today 750 cals

Tomorrow i might have a kitkat! How exciting! :D:D:D

I had the use of an e-reader a while ago and to be honest i actually prefer the feel of a book in my hand. I enjoy my visit to the library every few weeks too.

Glad your weight didnt fluctuate...would have been very unfair!

Your hubby does sound lovely and very thoughtful, think you stand a good chance of getting the eternity ring and even letting him think it was his idea!

Im not sure about the kindle, and e readers, my brother got one for xmas and i can see the benefits, particularly if youre going on holiday or travelling, as book weight is just a waste. However, i love the feel of a book and like even more having lots of bookshelves full at home.. im probably more old fashioned than i thought.

Im thinking about going travelling next year, if i do that i will buy a kindle, as i would miss reading.

The new car sounds nice, shame about your other one.. hope it wont cost you much.. I can imagine your disgust at being presented with the van like car, I'm surprised you didnt refuse to be seen in it. lol

Weather looks like it will improve in time for your trip to the south coast x

There is something wonderful about having an actual book, and bookstores are one of my favourite places to waste time in, but the holiday issue when going abroad is a big one for me, especially as i have 4 weeks lined up next year. When we go away for 2 weeks i take 6 to 8 books with me, and i invariably read them all, but the weight is an issue, and i end up buying them at the airport in a rush so that i dont have to include them in my hold or hand luggage.

I actually been reading whole books on my iphone since i discovered you could buy books from the app store and now that the iphone book store is available ive bought even more. But its not easy to browse books on an iphone, whereas kindle books on amazon are pretty easy to browse through, and i can have a whole book on the kindle in less than a minute and be reading it! I like instant lol. I do like the kindle, its a good size and simple to use although i like being able to swipe a finger across the iphone to change pages whereas on the kindle you press a button on the side.

Ive had a difficult day today, was a messy horrible audit that was destined to doom from the start. When i got home i changed out of my work clothes into jeans, laid down on the bed and fell asleep. My son just woke me up at 9pm as The Apprentice was about to start. I havnt eaten and frankly i could do without food, i feel a bit bloated, but ive had to have my jab, so ill just have an exante soup and see if i can get that down.

I had my kitkat at lunch today, was looking forward to it, but it was just intensely sickly sweet. Ive lost my taste for sweet things.

Food today
B. exante shake - 200 cals
L. Ham sandwich, fresh fig, kitkat. 330 cals
D. exante soup - 200 cals
Total 730 cals, but a lot of carbs today at about 80g. Blame it on the kitkat and fig which accounted for about 25 of them. Maybe thats why i feel a bit sick and bloated this evening.

You know you're not going to be able to sleep tonight!
Before i started this journey, i used to have a nap saturday and sunday afternoon. It was lovely. I used to look forward to it. But then i couldn't sleep well at night. I just used to get so tired doing nothing during the day that i thought i deserved a nap. How lazy.

This morning!!! 11.13.5!!!!

im in the 11's. im on the home straight now, i think im gonna cry

Oh brilliant Lynn, i'm so happy for you. You've only got 9lb to lose. You really are on the home straight. I hope you're proud of yourself because we certainly are. Have a great day and don't forget to tell everyone you meet.

This morning!!! 11.13.5!!!!

im in the 11's. im on the home straight now, i think im gonna cry

Wow Lynn in the 11s!!!!!!!!!!

Wooohoooooooooooooo that's just brilliant, so delighted for you hun. What an achievement, just magical to have got there and the way you've overcome some really difficult times so deserving!

Overjoyed for you, have a very happy day and what a nice way to start the weekend away xxxxx

8.5 lbs to go ...OMG :) :) :)

OMG Lynn thats amazing and only 8.5lbs to go to target :)

You truely are an amazing woman. Have a fabulous weekend away and meal out :)

OMG Lynn thats amazing and only 8.5lbs to go to target :)

You truely are an amazing woman. Have a fabulous weekend away and meal out :)

I know! Its unreal isnt it, omg I cant stop thinking about it lol. This weekend away might put the kybosh on being in the 11's though lol, but its a good reason to be extra careful. I didnt put on any weight when we went to Cornwall for the weekend a few weeks ago so i have hope, but we didnt finish that weekend by going to the Yew Tree for dinner. I WILL be good.

WIll post my WI today as we are away tomorrow. Still at 11.13.5 :)

So thats a total of 5.5lb this week, 2 weeks in a row where ive lost 5.5lb each week! At this stage of the game so close to target thats gotta be pretty good going. Even given that the 2 weeks prior to that I STS thats still a wonderful 11lb in 4 weeks. It was agonosing going through the weight stall, but I hope that this gives hope to anyone else experiencing it, that overall it can be ok in the end.

We had a great weekend, the hotel in Torquay was wonderful and we spent quite a bit of time in Brixham. In fact both hubby and I loved it there and could see it as a place we would like to live one day.

We have just got back from our meal at the Yew Tree. The food was wonderful, I had rilletes of rabbit followed by roast partridge. Was very delicious, but no idea how many calories and i dont care either lol. Food wise not too bad this weekend, although i think i ate more than i intended. I dont think i will like the scales in the morning lol.

Hubby took this pic of me in Brixham on Saturday.

brixham23oct1113a.jpg

Curly hair, fake Uggs and my new leather jacket :)

We went to Dartmouth on Saturday as well and I found a belt in a boutique that I wanted. I actually went back 3 times to look at it, but couldnt bring myself to spend £112 on it. I could buy an entire outfit for that and still have change lol. But i think i will end up with it. It was black leather with a silver buckle and the belt was encrusted with Swarovski crystals. It was like a piece of jewellry you wear round your waist.
belt_rb201_06.jpg

YESSS! Still 11.13!

I really expected to hit the 12's again this weekend, I feel as though I ate quite a bit but stuck to low carb and it paid off!

Woooohooo Lynn you look AMAZING!!!!

Simply stunning, how thin and young and gorgeous! Love the jacket, and you absolutely deserve the sparkly belt! Can't put into words have brilliant you look!

So glad you had a lovely weekend and the meal sounds good too, and what a bonus still being in the 11s! Well done hun, that just shows you can maintain even when you have a weekend away and a posh meal.

So happy for you, what an inspiration you are xxx

Back