maggi so juicy alternative?

EmmyR1984

Gold Member
I was searching for syn values on the maggi so juicy bags and saw the suggestion for making your own by buying separate roasting bags and adding different herbs and spices.

First of all, would this be a way of reducing syns?

And secondly, does anyone have any spice / herb combinations I could try? I'm new to the forum (and cooking for that matter so I'm trying to get as many ideas as possible) so will apologise in advance if I've written in the wrong aread and I did try searching for "homemade maggi so juicy" but nothing came up :eek:

I am intrested in the answer too.

I do use alot of the swatz seasonings though, for example the pork seasoning one makes roast pork taste like stuffing and roast pork!

The lamb one is rosemary and garlic and there is a lovely fish one too. I use these alot and they really jazz up the meals.

thanks for that, i too was looking for an alternative. The bags are sold in Asda i think about a £1.00 when i bought them.

cupofteapet said:
thanks for that, i too was looking for an alternative. The bags are sold in Asda i think about a £1.00 when i bought them.

I get my roasting bags from asda too they are £1.14 and next to the sandwich bag cling film ect!!
Our local asda is tiny so I missed them a few times had to keep traveling to huge asda to get them til I needed sandwich bags and spotted them I never would have thought to look there

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Just bumping this thread as I was just about to make a similar one so was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

I have just bought the roasting bags from ASDA but really have no clue really what to put in them. Would just any herb/spices chucked in with the chicken turn out all right?

I usually use the Maggi Herb one because it is HEAVENLY, but I thought I'd try a syn-free alternative for once. Is there no need to put any kind of liquid in the bag? I know you don't with Maggi but I don't know if there's something in the ingredients that helps to keep it moist or if it's just having the chicken in the bag that does it?

Does anyone make anything other than chicken in the bags?

Thanks in advance :) Any help appreciated.

coriandar (leaf or seed, but I prefer leaf), cardamom (try to get the pods and grind your own, pre ground loses its flavour incredibly quickly), crushed garlic, lemon juice and rind/zest, chopped chilli and salt and pepper.
stick this in with anything and it's amazing, and impressive!

Just bumping this thread as I was just about to make a similar one so was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

I have just bought the roasting bags from ASDA but really have no clue really what to put in them. Would just any herb/spices chucked in with the chicken turn out all right?

I usually use the Maggi Herb one because it is HEAVENLY, but I thought I'd try a syn-free alternative for once. Is there no need to put any kind of liquid in the bag? I know you don't with Maggi but I don't know if there's something in the ingredients that helps to keep it moist or if it's just having the chicken in the bag that does it?

Does anyone make anything other than chicken in the bags?

Thanks in advance :) Any help appreciated.
If you just wanted to include the same herbs in your baking bag the ingredients for the Herb one are:

Salt,Maltodextrin ,Starch ,Herbs (8.5%): Coriander, Marjoram, Parsley, Basil, Oregano, Thyme ,Garlic ,Paprika ,Sugar ,Onion ,Tomato Powder ,Yeast Extract ,Flavourings (contains Wheat) ,Black Pepper ,Ginger ,Citric Acid ,Vegetable Oil ,Beetroot Concentrate ,Cayenne Pepper

Wow, if the herbs only make up 8.5% of the mix it's no wonder they are 5 syns per pack. Mind you if you cook 4 chicken breasts in it I suppose that's only 1.5 syns per chicken breast.

Thank you, sounds lovely! :)

Marmite - yack! Does it still taste like Marmite when you cook it like that? Haha

no. it makes the meat taste meatier, but you wont taste it as marmite. use 1/2 a teaspoon an it makes sooo much difference. like mustard powder in cheese sauce, it really works.

and my hubby hates marmite, but has never noticed the marmite in our gravy lol.

If you just wanted to include the same herbs in your baking bag the ingredients for the Herb one are:

Salt,Maltodextrin ,Starch ,Herbs (8.5%): Coriander, Marjoram, Parsley, Basil, Oregano, Thyme ,Garlic ,Paprika ,Sugar ,Onion ,Tomato Powder ,Yeast Extract ,Flavourings (contains Wheat) ,Black Pepper ,Ginger ,Citric Acid ,Vegetable Oil ,Beetroot Concentrate ,Cayenne Pepper

Wow, if the herbs only make up 8.5% of the mix it's no wonder they are 5 syns per pack. Mind you if you cook 4 chicken breasts in it I suppose that's only 1.5 syns per chicken breast.

Yeah, exactly it's not too bad syn-wise and really yummy too but I just thought I'd give something free a go. I was thinking of looking on the back of the packet for what herbs are in it so thanks for this. I think I've got all of those apart from Marjoram. We'll see how it goes! When I get around to trying it I'll let you know how it went!

marjoram can be replaced with oregano. just use a little less.

Thanks, I'd never even heard of Marjoram till a couple of days ago haha, had no idea what it was!

CJ_06 said:
Does anyone know how many syns the so juicy packs are please??

Depending on the flavour I think they're between 4.5 and 5.5 which isn't bad when serving 2/4.

Going to try the herb packet tonight with chicken. I'm throwing in some veggies and parboiled potatoes too. They were 50p in Asda today!

Back