Extra Easy Make your own Syn Free Pork Sausages....

CornishPisky

I have never made "homemade" sausages before, but thought seeing as only a very few commercially produced products are Syn Free, I would have a go at making them myself. I haven't yet got a sausage machine, so I rolled them by hand, and didn't have skins, but that did not detract from how utterly gorgeous the end results were. Imagine the juiciest, meatiest, butchers style sausages, yet totally syn free! You don't really need the machine, although if you want to be really authentic, the hand machines and a packet of skins aren't too expensive. I'm eyeing one up on Amazon ATM. The only equipment you will need is a food processor.

Ingredients to make around 8 thick (1 inch or so) sausages (can double or even treble quantities if you want)

1 lb lean pork, either already minced 5% fat, or from a pork joint, cut into small cubes (454g)
1/2 teaspoon of Allspice
1 teaspoon of dried Sage
1 teaspoon of Seasalt
1 teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Onion Salt
1/2 teaspoon Onion Granules
1 beaten egg, to bind.

First off, spread the pork cubes, or mince onto a tray and put it in the freezer. Leave it in there til the edges of the pork are beginning to harden, but the middle bits are still pliable. It all works much better if the pork is really cold. Don't let it freeze solid though.

Put the pork into the processor, and grind it down. I used a cubed pork joint, and did mine for around 30 seconds on full power. It won't look like traditional minced meat, but you can leave it a bit "chunky" if you like, or grind it smoother. When you get your hands into it, you can gauge how smooth it is You may need to do this in batches.

Tip the ground pork into a bowl, and add the other ingredients, mix well. Its a good idea then to take a teaspoon of it, and fry in frylight just to taste it, so you can check the seasonings.

Shape & roll into sausages, or if you prefer, little patties. Then you can either cook them straightaway, or open freeze them for the future.

And that's it!

I am going to experiment in the future with other flavourings, ie apple or leeks. I would not imagine you would need much apple therefore you can decide whether to syn it or not.

My husband & son consider themselves connoisseurs of sausages, and they both thought these were superb. I hope you will think so too.

Last edited:
These sound amazing! Will revisit once we’ve eaten the stuff we’ve bought so far. I’ll be hand rolling, too, as the skins are pretty unnecessary in my opinion!

ooh - nice recipe. I'll have that when I'm at goal (currently on a vlcd). I was on keto before - and did a sort of sausage, no skins. Also a scotch egg - using almond meal instead of crumbs. Really nice.

I bought some onion powder on amazon - really good for all sorts of recipes. So i'll use that instead of granules.

Back