Making a tablecloth!!!!

RScothern

Know it should be ridiculously simple but how do I make a tablecloth? I wanted a couple but they are sooooo expensive I thought I would make my own but have no idea where to start.
Don't even know what material to get lol!!! Any suggestions from crafty sewingy minimins would be appreciated!!! X thanks x

Depends what you want really. You need a thickish material, or dense weave, as thin cotton will just show through. A square or oblong cloth is far easier to handle than an oval one. Simple measure your table plus a decent overhang, then get whatever material you choose, (most shops/markets stall holders would be able to give you an idea of what's suitable). Double check your measurements, as cloth isnt cut dead straight. Then hem, either using a sewing machine on hem stitch, or you can use Wonderweb hemmer, and an iron, although this wont withstand lots of washing, and sometimes comes away.

Personally I find fabric, (unless you can find a decent offcut) expensive, and you would probably be better off buying ready made. Or have you tried your local charity shops? I often find tablecloths there for a very small amount, and you are helping the charity too! :)

or if you are totally set on making your own, instead of buying fresh fabric, why not look in a charity shop or discount store for a duvet cover? they have a lot of fabric in them lol.

We have a discount fabric shop near where I live, you could do a search for any near where you live.

Or you could check out ebay.

Also for edging the fabric you could try bias binding which gives a neat finish you could also get this in a contrasting colour.

Happy sewing:D

bias binding is REALLY difficult for a beginner though.

Yes charity shops are good, I got a belting pair of curtains for £3.50! But I got Christmas fabric from a local shop and made a tablecloth for under a fiver. You can also get wipe clean fabrics which are good if you have children.

Back