Maltodextrin

JezVonSavage

Lost in the Supermarket
I've no idea what this stuff is or if it has a syn value. It's in Asda's Chinese Style Noodle seasoning, which really jazzes up a stir fry, but contains no nutritional info on the packaging. Do I just take it it's syn free? There are no calories listed anywhere on the seasoning packet but this stuff definitely does thicken up when cooking.

Any ideas??

Nevermind, it seems that maltodextrin is one of the key ingredients in Splenda and we all know that's free. So I'm guessing that my teaspoon of seasoning must be too.

Maltodextrin is SUGAR !!!!!! and it is 1 syn a teaspoon

Hmmm...so do you think I need to syn the seasoning? How can Splenda be free if this isn't?

No idea what proportion of the seasoning is this stuff...pain in the bum :(

Splenda is 95% dextrose and maltodextrin mucked about with so much that it cannot be absorbed by the body x

Urgh...I'll attempt to syn it. Thankyou! xx

If you see "dextro" or "dextrin" or similar in anything you know its a sugar (dextrose). All sweeteners contain some sugar, its just the ratio they contain and the other crappe they put in it that makes sweeteners less calories than sugar. You cant know just from the fact anything dextro- is listed in the ingredients how much is in it or how many calories that is.

I take it its this one? The maltodextrin is part of the soy sauce powder.

Basically in cases like this Id call it 1 syn per tsp as thats what pure sugar would be, and its going to be less than pure sugar given what else it contains and the fact it contains no oils. Its probably free, but call it 1 syn per tsp to be on the safe side.

ermintrude said:
I take it its this one? The maltodextrin is part of the soy sauce powder.

Basically in cases like this Id call it 1 syn per tsp as thats what pure sugar would be, and its going to be less than pure sugar given what else it contains and the fact it contains no oils. Its probably free, but call it 1 syn per tsp to be on the safe side.

Yes, that's the one! Had it not noticeably thickened I wouldn't have synned it at all, but it is noticeable which makes me think something dastardly is afoot.

It's too nice to say no to though, it is lovely in stir fry's so 1 syn it is xx

Back