Mango Lassi and KTC Chicken Mix Syns?

Pikachu47

Hi everyone!!

My husband has just started on Slimming World....and as the home's designated cook, it's up to me to make some yummy meals!

His favourite food is KFC - which is obviously baaaaaad! So, I've been trying to find an alternative. I've been using KTC Chicken Fry Mix - I coat chicken breast in it, then dry fry it in a pan - no oil AT ALL.

Also, his favourite drink is Mango Lassi....we've been having a debate on this, as even though its basically a fruit smoothie, its almost a 3rd sugar, so wanting to know how bad it is. He's drinking 1kg of it every other day! (The brand is Pazeeka)

I can't find either of these on slimming world's list, and the calculator isn't very reliable for items that contain free foods like fruit :(

Anyone know roughly how many syns they would be? Or know of any alternatives?

THANKS!! :D

Hi there. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but both of those items would be Synned.

I'll start with the KTC chicken mix stuff. That will likely contain oil, flour, etc. Both of which are Synned. Things like this don't contain any free food allowance, so you can work out the Syns by counting 1 Syn for every calorie. For a Syn-free alternative, check out the link below. It's a recipe for KFC chicken, which I have not personally tried but it seems to be a big hit on here!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/134193-kfc-chicken-done-sw-way.html

Also, the mango lassi would be Synned. When fruit is blended / cooked it looses it's free food allowance and becomes Synned. I don't know the full science or reason behind that (I don't make the rules, I just follow them :D), but I believe it's due to it's filling ability. Again, he would need to count 1 Syn for every 20cals for this.

Hope this helps.

Hi there. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but both of those items would be Synned.

I'll start with the KTC chicken mix stuff. That will likely contain oil, flour, etc. Both of which are Synned. Things like this don't contain any free food allowance, so you can work out the Syns by counting 1 Syn for every calorie. For a Syn-free alternative, check out the link below. It's a recipe for KFC chicken, which I have not personally tried but it seems to be a big hit on here!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/134193-kfc-chicken-done-sw-way.html

Also, the mango lassi would be Synned. When fruit is blended / cooked it looses it's free food allowance and becomes Synned. I don't know the full science or reason behind that (I don't make the rules, I just follow them :D), but I believe it's due to it's filling ability. Again, he would need to count 1 Syn for every 20cals for this.

Hope this helps.

I also think it is because you have more than what slimmers world intend for you to have...like it takes about 5 oranges to make juice so tech it is like eating 5 oranges...would you eat 5 oranges at once...I think that has something to do with it...from what I can remember the consultant saying. I think the same goes for the lasange sheet crisps as well. Again not 100 per cent sure this is correct. I was still slightly baffled when she was telling us. Lol like smoothies from fresh fruit need to be synned...due to the amount of fruit used to make one...I still do not 100 per cent get it. Lol I am no help here am I lol XD

Sent from my SM-G900F using MiniMins.com mobile app

I also think it is because you have more than what slimmers world intend for you to have...like it takes about 5 oranges to make juice so tech it is like eating 5 oranges...would you eat 5 oranges at once...I think that has something to do with it...from what I can remember the consultant saying. I think the same goes for the lasange sheet crisps as well. Again not 100 per cent sure this is correct. I was still slightly baffled when she was telling us. Lol like smoothies from fresh fruit need to be synned...due to the amount of fruit used to make one...I still do not 100 per cent get it. Lol I am no help here am I lol XD

Yup, that's exactly what is meant by filling power. If you ate 2-3 oranges they'd probably fill you up, whereas 2-3 oranges juiced wouldn't. And then those are extra calories you're drinking on top of your food intake too.

so you can work out the Syns by counting 1 Syn for every calorie.
If a food has no Free food allowance it's 1 syn for every 20 calories, not 1 for 1. I notice you had it correct later on in your post but I didn't want anyone to panic ;)

Back