Marathon Training with Dukan - Is it possible?

Dollypops

Hi all,
I've managed the 5 days Attack and was, until today, on day 5 of Cruise.
My issue is that, after 5 yrs of trying, I've won a place in London Marathon 2012 through the ballot.

I've done the Marathon before back in 2008, and I seriously want to lose weight before I attempt it again, with the view of making it in a faster time...

But my issue is that with no carbs, I have no energy to do long runs. Up until now I've managed to do 3 training sessions a week, inc CV, running etc but last night I had no extra gas in the tank. And I really can't have that if I start upping the milleage. I know that some carbs will be added to the diet later on, but it isnt soon enough for my training.

Any help / guidance gladly received as I don't want to give up the diet, but I seriously don't want to jeopardise my training.

Dukan and long distance running don't mix well, as Dukan works by stripping all the glycogen stored in the long muscles - which is exactly what you need to run a marathon.

But these are early days - you can start running again (perhaps only on PV days?) once you get into cruise, and slowly build up longer distances, then, in no time at all you will be in conso, and able to increase the training even more.

There are several runners on the board who should be able to give you more detailed tips.

I'd be curious to find out also as I've have to give up my twice weekly 10k runs and have resorted to doing 25mins fartlek runs instead.

I turned down a few half marathons including the Great North run (really wanted to do that one) as I knew it would finish me off with no stored carbs....:(

Congrats on getting thru the ballot BTW! :cool:

From chat UK again..
LindsayRN : Hi from the U.S.!! So glad I figured out the time lapse! I am going to be running a half-marathon this weekend. Usually my pre-run breakfast is a banana and an english muffin with peanut butter. Also, I usually consume some energy gel or beans mid-run. Since none of this allowed what would you recommend to help keep my endurance and energy levels up?
sonja : Hi Lindsay! Good that you could make it! First of all I would like to congratulate you for such a physical activity, I'm always impressed by our really sportive customers as I would never be able to do the half of it! Then the meal before your run eat 150 grammes of cooked whole grain pastas, and during your run, bring some fresh orange juice with you (no added sugar) or some fruit purée (the same, no added sugar) under a drinkable form. Let us know how was your run and we will all be behind you! Keep moving!

Hope this helps..

Thanks ladies, and thanks Curvy re the ballot, typical though isnt it? Try for years and the one year I've made my mind up to lose weight drastically, I get a place!! :)

Back