Marrow!! Any Ideas?

I'm normally more of a lurker than a contributer here, so I hope I've done this all alright, feel free to tell me off if I've not.

Well my 'rubbish week' came good! I've continued to struggle to get back into the zone this week and didn't hold out much hope of any significant weightloss (I'm still trying to lose my massive 8lbs holiday gain)but I was pleasantly surprised to see the scales register a 2.5lbs loss. That earned me Slimmer of the week which I haven't won for yonks and yonks, then to top it all, I went on to win the raffle too! What an incentive to pull myself together and play the game properly!! Anyways, amongst all my goodies was a HUGE Marrow. You'd think by my age I'd know what to do with one but I've not got much of an idea. I know you can stuff them but what with? and how long to cook etc. ? I typed marrow into the SW websites recipe search but it came back with 'no matches found' which is slightly unbelievable. My consultant had said there was a nice recipe on there which had tomatoes in it. Anyways any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've seen one on here too! Basically do minced beef with tinned toms, onions, peppers, spices and herbs, whatever you fancy really.

Slice the marrow in half, scoop out the inner bit and plonk your filling on top. If you want you can put some cheese over it, then bake in the oven at 180 for 40-60 mins (until marrow tender). I think the recipe said to cover with foil for a bit to stop the cheese burning and then remove nearer the end of cooking.

Some people stuff it and then put the other half on top, cover in foil, bake and then serve in slices.

Well done on the loss firstly Hun!!
Secondly you could stuff it with a bolognase type filling, either mince or quorn.

I suppose you could use it as you would a courgette (same family).

I cooked marrow for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I roasted it, served it in slices, topped with bolognaise and cheese. With the remainder (there was still LOADS left!) I made a marrow and ginger soup.

xx

Thanks Hellie! I just discovered a HUGE marrow on my courgette plant! I wondered why the courgettes weren't developing!

Back