Marrows - what do I do with it??

Yarneater

Hi all,

I was given a rather large marrow yesterday.
I'm sure it's going to be delicious but I'm having trouble finding a SW recipe - has anybody got any ideas for me?

Thanks!

This isn't really a SW recipe but can be adapted to be.

My parents always grow marrows so we end up with some each year from them. We cut them in half length ways and roast them. Once done then we fill the halves up with either bolognese or chilli.

Free on green day ( plus 2 HE)
Ingredients
marrow, about 900g
Frylite spray
1 onion, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp shredded fresh basil
50g home made white breadcrumbs (HEb)
25g mature Cheddar, finely grated (HEa)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh basil to garnish (optional)
Method
Preheat the oven to 190°C (gas 5). Cut the marrow into eight rings, each about 4cm thick. Remove the peel, unless the marrow is very young and tender, and scoop out the seeds. Place the rings in a large, lightly sprayed( frylight) ovenproof dish, arranging them in a single layer.
Large nonstick saucepan spray frylight and cook the onion and celery for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a futher minute. Stir in the chopped tomatoes with their juice and season with a little salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick and pulpy. Stir in the shredded basil.
Lightly season the marrow rings with salt and pepper before spooning the tomato mixture into the hollowed-out centres. Spread any leftover tomato mixture between the marrow rings. Tightly cover the dish with foil so that the marrow will cook in the steam, then bake for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together. Remove the foil and sprinkle the crumb mixture over the tops of the marrow rings. Return to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes or until the topping is golden and crisp and the marrow is tender and juicy. Serve hot, scattered with fresh basil leaves, if liked.

There's a recipe for stuffed courgettes in the latest free Asda magazine that I made a few days ago, but I adapted it for SW and used a large marrow instead.

6 courgettes (or one large marrow)
1 shallot, chopped (I used a small onion)
2tsp olive oil (I used Frylight)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
250g lean minced beef
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
400g can green lentils
3tbsp tomato puree (1.5 syns)
1 small red pepper
1 level tsp cornflour (I left this out)
50g cheddar cheese, grated (I used 56g, HEA or HEB as I only ate half)
50g breadcrumbs (I left these out too)

Heat oven to 200C/190C Fan/Gas 6.
Halve the courgettes (or marrow) and scoop out the seeds.
Chop any flesh that is removed, I left most of the marrow flesh intact to form two large boat shapes. I also peeled the marrow.
Cook the onion/shallot in Frylight until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the mince and cook until it browns.
Stir in the cinnamon, cumin and oregano, then the drained lentils, tomato puree, peppers, courgette or marrow flesh and 100ml water.
Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
Spoon into the marrow shells, Cover with foil and bake in the oven for about 1/2 hour. Rempve the foil, top with grated cheese (and breadcrumbs, if used) and bake for about another 20-30 minutes.

We ate this between two of us (greedy people!) but it could easily do 4.

Back