Maxi dresses

Loser85

Gold Member
I really really want one of these for the summer but being a size 26 would i look daft? Would it skim the curves or hug them? I dont want to look bigger than i am.

I know someone who is a size 30 and wears one and feels great in it... also she bought hers in primark in a size 20 as they come up that big. lol.... all you can do is try one and see how you feel in it :) I am a size 18/20 and I wear one... Not sure what others think of it but I love it so I wear it x

Also it depends on the material you get to how it hangs... I have cotton as it hangs well. I tried a tshirt material one on and i clung in all the wrong places lol

Last edited:
Ive got a few but dont like wearing them on their own, I have a not quite a shrug but that kind of thing only a bit longer and it makes a massive difference

I wear cardigans with mine

58lb lost......63lb to go :)

I have one from primark and it's gorgeous! So floaty and summery. I always have a problem feeling not very summery when it's warm cos I cover up my arms and legs but I wear a cropped denim jacket with mine and it's really slimming. Go for it :D

try it on, take a pic and compare it to a pic of you in something else? share on here and ask for honesty :)

Thanks all, will go have a look around the shops on Mon. Will try primark too if the dresses run quite big there. (will definately be buying some sort of shrug too)

Primarks are lovely i have a few in different colours x

I find the strapless elastic chest ones come up big. I wear cardigans over mine :)

58lb lost......63lb to go :)

The only thing I don't like about mine is the way it clings to my backside and shows the odd (ha ha) bit of cellulite- going to buy a slip to go underneath to see if that helps.

i have one but dont wear it,,i feel like a horse in it:(

I bought 3 from Tesco last year in a size 28, I bought 2 this year from Tesco in the "normal" range in a size 22. I wear them cos I like them I decided a long time ago that being big I was going to be seen whatever I wore so now I wear what I want and be damned! I've even worn a tutu (over leggings) because I had a friends 3 yr daughter for the day and she wanted us to be ballerinas! It did get some looks at school at pick up time but what the hell I'm not here to please people that mean nothing to me! try them if you like them and feel comfy in it go for it!

Beauty my dear is I'n the eye of the beholder!!
The ugly nasty ppl that make judgement on others because of what they are wearing or how big they are do not deserve the drippings off our noses!!!!
Buy your maxi dress glam it up and put a piccie up on here so we can all see how gorgeous you look I'n it!!!!!!!!
A x x

I bought 3 from Tesco last year in a size 28, I bought 2 this year from Tesco in the "normal" range in a size 22. I wear them cos I like them I decided a long time ago that being big I was going to be seen whatever I wore so now I wear what I want and be damned! I've even worn a tutu (over leggings) because I had a friends 3 yr daughter for the day and she wanted us to be ballerinas! It did get some looks at school at pick up time but what the hell I'm not here to please people that mean nothing to me! try them if you like them and feel comfy in it go for it!

You've got a great attitude!! I don't think it's acceptable for anyone of any size to dress like a tart, so aslong as you're covered appropriately (ie. no boobs hanging out, belts for skirts) then you should wear whatever the damn you want! It's your life and you only live once :D

Hi
Maxi dresses are difficult for ******* girls to wear I find , I bought two a few years ago , I was a size 10 with a 32E cup and it made me look huge! Just hung from my chest down. The 2nd one was nicer and it was nipped in under the chest and around the hips , I'd recommend that shape or a plunge neck shape and a cropped denim jacket as the other girl said , or a cardigan . Penny's I find useless , if you ard going to get one go to dorethy Perkins , new look, next , Asos , littlewoods , these sites all have a good selection of different shape maxis and they all do plus size. Hope that helps. Oooohh and if u plan on wearing it without a cardi wear a strapless bra ... There's nothing worse!

I am off on a cruise in August, and I now have three to take with me!! One is lovely and floaty chiffon type fabric from Tesco, a cotton one from Evans and an evening one from Primani!

All are different sizes and I think look pretty good considering my vast bulk. (I have about 9 stone to lose, and only just started PP)

Go for it, try some on, get honest opinions and then if you're happy nothing to stop you! As said before, its for you, no-one else!!!! ;)

As has been mentioned getting the right cut really helps, if the dress flows from under the bust it hides a multitude of sins and a low cut or v neck bust draws attention to that area and away from belly and hips giving the appearance of a slimmer figure!!!

Back