Meal Frequency research

Whether its down to metabolism or just the effect on my appetite, the more frequently I eat, the more weight I lose. Not suggesting this is true for others, but it works for me, I have been very carefully monitoring my eating patterns for several months. I really think its down to the individual and what is sustainable in their lifestyle long-term, really.

I'm glad I have read this, as sometimes.. especially on the weekends I wake up a bit late for breakfast so opt for what you could called brunch instead and I always think im messing up my metabolism.

Well I find I'm not hungry in the morning so I don't eat breakfast, but if I do eat breakfast, usually if we have visitors, then i feel ravenous until lunch time. It's a real struggle to keep away from the snacks until then. Easier for me to just have a coffee first thing.

I find it easier to lose weight by either grazing OR having one huge tea and just a token lunch

I have to have 3 meals a day now as I have a child and I find this the hardest way to stick in to lose weight.
I'm just not as satisfied having 3 proper sized meals as I like to eat less more often or less often but stuff myself once - I'd rather go all or nothing but then thats probably why i am overweight in the first place!

This is a really interesting thread. I hadn't heard about the thermal energy thing before, but my dad swears by the gi diet, part of which involves having multiple small meals rather than 3 normal ones. As far as I understand it, the gi diet is supposed to keep your sugar levels constant rather than spiking and crashing, which keeps you feeling full and prevents cravings. So I guess this might contribute to some people's success with grazing. My mum, however, always said like she felt like she was eating too much on the gi diet and didn't get as good results. I wonder if there have been any studies comparing men and women's responses to grazing vs 3/2 meal a day diets. At the end of the day though each of us have slightly different physiology which will affect how we lose weight, so as previous posters have said just stick to whatever works for you. Personally I'm a 3-meals-a-day girl.

Gosh I stress out enough trying to plan and organise myself for three meals - I would never manage the 'little and often' approach! Three a day seems to work best for me I think

I have binge tendencies, must admit, so I enjoy saving up my calories during most of the day and having a good old mountain of (healthy) food at night, and usually quite late at night at that! Totally goes against the textbook way of doing things, but it's been something I've been able to stick at, and I've lost quite a bit of weight, so surely it's better to do what works for you than what the boffins tell you, if their way would make you miserable and send you rushing for the comfort of the biscuit tin.

I will say, though, that I think the scientists have a point, in that it makes sense that a frequent eater will have a less sluggish metabolism - they'll probably have more energy and find it easier to exercise and move at a swift pace, I suppose. I think it also makes sense to eat your biggest meal of the day in the morning to give you fuel for the day - I wish I could do it, but I know if I did I would be miserable late at night and inclined to eat a lot anyway - I don't sleep very well and I'm prone to nocturnal nibbling.

One thing that worries me is that my own tendency to split my daily allowance into two large meals (rather than small ones) means I'm still at heart a binge-eater. I still need those big plates of food to fill up the emptiness, and I'd still feel uncomfortable, maybe even a tad panicked, if I didn't feel I could look forward to a large, comforting meal at night. Is that the mentality of a binger who's just substituted healthy foods for her former chocolate-scoffing ways? Maybe. But maybe it's okay to binge on broccoli and fruit and good stuff!

So, yes, part of me agrees with the scientists in many ways, but hey, we're all individuals, so you've got to go with what works for you, even if it isn't the 'ideal' way of doing things. :)

I know this is an older post but WoW, you've totally described the way I used to be too. I completely understand the empty feeling of not having food to look forward to in the evening. I used to go all day starving (while dieting) just so I could have all my calories at once. I've managed to train myself out of that unhealthy cycle and now eat 2 or three meals per day with the end goal of 3 meals per day every day. Snacking is out for me as it could potentially lead to a pig out - I will always be on the edge of losing control and gaining weight so I make sure to cut off any triggers.

I hope you have also managed to get out of this cycle and eat more in the day as, like you rightly say, it help the metabolism and gives you enough energy to get through the day rather than plod on hungry and lethargic.

Back