Medication and weightloss

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by DaisyD123, 14 November 2010 Social URL.

1. DaisyD123

DaisyD123 Member

Start Weight:
    17st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6.5lb(30.54%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    Does anyone feel medication they are on is hampering their weightloss? I take Amitriptyline, tramadol and Gabapentin and am sure one of these is mucking my metabolism up.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. tarotwoman

tarotwoman Loves life

Start Weight:
    11st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming magazine club. Out of date now but this diet worked for me in the past.
    I have had medication in the past that has prevented me from losing weight. They were antidepressants and I went to the docs armed with sheets filled in of exactly what I was eating 1200cals, to convince him to change them. He didn't want to but I insisted that being overweight was overiding any good effect the medication was having. Try writing down what you eat to make sure that's what the problem is.

Tracey

4. Lynn_

Lynn_ On A Mission!

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(39.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Diabetic/Low carb
    I just found this on a forum, message 17 seems to suggest that weight gain is a result of at least one of these drugs.

I guess you have to weigh it up and decided which is the lesser of the 2 evils, pain releif or weight gain.

BBC - Ouch! (disability) - Messageboard Disability Q&A - Amitriptyline- Good or Evil???

Many diabetic drugs will also cause weight gain, or severly hamper weight loss which I discovered to my cost. Thankfully im not on those drugs now, but a 20lb weight gain in 2 or 3 months was quite scary at the time.

5. CatCrazy

CatCrazy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st1lb
    Current Weight:
    13st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st6lb(24.51%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting
    Amitriptyline and Gabapentin are both known to cause weight gain. My daughter was prescribed both for FM put weight on and then the Drs said her weight wasn't helping the FM!! Shes come off the medication and lost weight but her symptoms remain...shes very disillusioned with the medical profession at present!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.