Meetings Vs Online

Qua Sae

Hi everyone :)

I'm kinda new to WW, I've tried it on & off over the last few years but never really stuck to it 100% (Usually because I lose my job & can't afford to pay for the food!).

3 weeks ago, I started Slimming World & was doing really well on it.. But I've got IBS & it was making me really unwell. I had to go to my GP last week who gave me some medicine to help & told me to stop it immediately & do whatever it takes to get my stomach well again. So despite 3 great weeks, I've had to eat complete junk for the last 7 days! And boy do I feel it! Blah.

Anyway, my GP recommended that I stop SW straight away & try something else. I suggested WW as it's more varied. SW is very much based on high fibre & that's what made me so unwell. There wasn't a lot of wriggle room with foods outside of the plan.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma though.. A friend goes to the local meeting & has asked me to go along (She's already at target). The SW group was brilliant because I didn't know anyone there.. But because this is the village I grew up in, everyone knows me & my family. There will be some people that I don't want to see in there. And, more awkwardly.. I have a history of bulimia & there's a woman who goes who knows about this. She also has bulimia & still suffers with it. She's tried to get competitive with me in the past, despite me being recovered now & in a very good head space. I am worried that being in a group with her, I might struggle and fall back into bulimic tendencies.

So there's my history! I like the group atmosphere, but I like the SW group.. I'm not sure I will enjoy the WW group as much. It's nice to have other people to celebrate your successes, but if they're people I don't like, then is it as good?

I'm not really sure what to do. Apparently my first meeting will be free, but if I go to that, register & whatnot, can I then not change to online if I don't like it? Do I have to re-register online? Another good thing about the online version is that it is a lot cheaper. I am currently a student so the cheaper the better really.

I think if my friend wasn't at group then I wouldn't feel quite so pressured into going! I don't want to let her down.. :(

I'd love to hear some thoughts from people. Hopefully it will help. My OH isn't much use, but then he's too involved in the situation I think!

Hi. Isnt there another village that you can go to so you can still go to meetings? My sister never went to our village 1 so she didnt no anybody!! I dont think u should feel presure to go just because of your friend. She must no about the other woman there and the people you dont want to see? I dont think you should go because as you said you dont want to get back to how u used to be and u have done so well to over come it so well done:) I started the old w.w (discover) bout 3 week ago ihave never been to a meeting or joined online, I just have the books and do it at home!! My sister went thru it all with me and thats how I learnt what to do and I just come on this forum for abit of suport and a moan!! Cudnt your friend show you how to do it? If not then join online,alot of people do it and stil get suport. Try not spending your muney on just the w.w food just have what you normaly would but a healthier version, eat more fruit and veg and your on the rite track. Il stop rabbiting on at you but gud luck with wotever you decide and let me no how u get on.:-D p.s I tried s.w and put 4pound on in my first week, neva felt so bloated in my life but I dont no when to stop eating pasta.haha.x

Thanks for your reply! :) Unfortunately I can't get to the other villages without a bus or car & I don't have time for the bus & I can't drive.

I am really tempted to just not go tonight. I might talk it through with my hubby tonight & subscribe online :) I've got a few bits already, I bought them from eBay (The deluxe pack, I think). Got the shop, journal, eat out & calculator.

I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one who had problems with SW. I lost 7lbs in my first week, then kinda gained a pound because I was so bloated.. Then lost 4lbs & gained them all back by mid week! It was awful. Didn't help that the scales at group were all messed up & people were weighing in wrong. My first wi was a 10.5lb loss! Except I knew it wasn't! It was no more than 7lbs.

Been sticking to WW today anyway, worked out my pp daily allowance using my calculator. Kinda want the tracker on my phone though as I can count pp down on my calculator, but it doesn't say what I've counted so I've had to write it down too!

theres alot of apps u can get for your fone. Seems like youve cracked on already with the books and that. You can get so. much suport on here its realy kept me motivated! I think you should do what you want to do and dont wory bout pleasing other people. If you hate your vilage meeting you arnt guna enjoy your weight loss journey and start dreadin every week when its your meeting. I love doing it alone and its never botherd me bout not going 2 meetings. Theres loads of lovely people on here that are ready to answer any questions you have or just listen to you moan!!! Maybe join online for a month and if u feel that you can do it alone then cancel it if not and you need that extra bit of suport then so be it. Yeh have a word with your huby and see what he thinks. What ever you decide tho make sure its to please you and nobody else.x:)

I do mine home alone hon, although i realise for different reasons to you (mostly laziness lol) But I enjoy coming on here and to be honest i think i have more support from here than at class (from past experience) And like you say you have the info that you need to get going and I,m pretty sure that anything else you need will be found on here quickly enough. Good luck.x

Well said :) I love this forum normaly I would have give up on week 1 but reading how other people get on and its not just you having crap days realy spurs you on.x

i also do it from home too and use this board for moral support. dont be too harsh on yourself hunny. good luck, we're always here on this board for you. xxx

I've done both - I really like meetings, loads of support & I had a great leader last time (an actual man!). I only discovered this site after attending meetings & the support here is fab too, better in some ways because you can be more honest. The only issue with not going to meetings is you can never become a gold member so you'll always have to pay more to track online. However community membership is free. So once you've got to goal all you really need is minimims, the WW community & a WW calculator (£15 ish) ;) Good luck I hope you'll love it as much as I do :)

Back