Menopausal Madwoman FIFTY SOMETHING!!!

Hey holiday girl,
Don't get down or you will get more anxious.
We are all human and go through all sorts of stuff,so you keep strong and on track and if the loss is slow,then it is slow.Better than gaining eh??
We can all give each other a boost and encouragment.We WILL get there eventually if we stick to this and eat well and keep going.
Good luck hun!
Carrie

I'll be 54 in July and I've been maintaining now for over a year. My weight loss was slow, about 1lb a week, but the plan makes me feel healthier and it was worth it to see the weight come down.

Eternity!
You have done so well!
I think on reflection that 1lb a week is good.Realisticly,it takes 3500less calories to lose a pound a week,so 500 less a day will give you a week loss of a 1lb.Now I feel better!
1 stone to go,so if it takes 3-6 months,that's OK!
Thanks;)
Carrie

Ah, thanks Carrie:)
It's nice to have support when it's needed.
Just been on a beautiful 3 mile walk with "Holly", our 10 year old lab, who still thinks she is a puppy;)
Beautiful day here in Suffolk and cheered me considerably.
Weigh in day tomorrow, but I sure do feel fitter so that's what counts!;)

Holiday Girlie!!
Good that the sun is shining at yours as well.We have a glorious sunny day here in London and just home from work and off to walk to school to meet my nearly teenage son!(I have a 25 and a 27 yr old too!).
Keep focused and feel happy!
Carrie X

Hi all, I like this encouraging thread!

I'm 53 and finding it hard to lose at the moment, I joined WW in October last year and have struggled to lose 1-2 lbs some weeks only to put it back on again the following week and have simply maintained, and feeling quite disheartened - I've almost totally given up alcohol, and chocolate ! I thought I'd try SW again after my last gain two weeks ago. There isn't a nearby SW group so I'm following the plan but still getting weighed at WW!

I'm looking forward to my next weigh in, have been having mostly green days and snacking on fruit, so fingers crossed.

Hi,

I don't hit the big 50 till Dec but seeing as I've gone through the menopause I've considered myself an honourary member for a while now. I've been trying to lose weight for the past three years. I normally lose about 21lb then stop going to group and then put it all back on again. I've found I normally lose about a 1lb a week which is ok but disheartening when you have a lot to lose like me.

You don't have a lot to lose and so it will be a lot slower. I have about a stone left to lose and finding it really hard - although I am not sticking to plan properly and messing about with it etc. So I am now writing everything down and getting back on track properly and HOPEFULLY will lose a couple of pounds this week to spur me on.

Good luck to you - I'd be really happy with a pound a week now ..............

remember slow and steady will keep it off too.

I was at the tail end of my menopause. My 20 year old daughter and I started together, did about the same amount of exercise, had exactly the same foods BUT . . . she lost three stone in the year and i lost one stone 4 !!!!!!!

Hi everyone.

Well the bad news is,I put on half a pound this week!:confused:
How, I do not know, as stuck to plan, walked 11 miles in total for the week and did aerobics!:confused:
However on a positive note I measured myself when I started Slimming World and discovered, on checking again, today that I have lost 3 inches from my top half:D
Not quite where I had intended to lose it!
Something must be working!;)

Hi Holidaygirl

Well with what you have said, sounds like you have lost fat and gained muscle, which is great, well done, the main thing is you are decreasing in size which is what we all want. You should give yourself a pat on the back :D

I didn't think to measure myself all over, but I'm going to now!!!

Oh, thanks! :)
It just goes to show it is worth measuring yourself, before you start, or at any stage, to compare.
I do "on line slimming world" and put my measurements and exercise in the journal part of the diary.
Maybe monthly I can then check my measurements, or on a week of poor weight loss! ;)

I lost 2lb this week which surprised me!! I have though taken all of my measurements now and doing the 30 day shred so I think I will leave it 2 weeks to see if there is any difference. Fingers crossed XX

I lost 2lb this week which surprised me!! I have though taken all of my measurements now and doing the 30 day shred so I think I will leave it 2 weeks to see if there is any difference. Fingers crossed XX

Well done, good luck in 2 weeks!:)

Good morning everyone :) I have lost 2lb and decided to measure myself!!! I have lost 1 1/2 inches from my waist, 1/2inch from my bust and 1 inch from my hips!!! I am over the moon :D

Last edited:
Good morning everyone :) I have lost 2lb and decided to measure myself!!! I have lost 1 1/2 inches from my waist, 1/2inch from my bust and 1 inch from my hips!!! I am over the moon :D

Well done:D
It definately helps to measure yourself as well!
My size 16's are loose now:)
Going shopping for an outfit for next weekend, this week, so hopefully it wont be as depressing as usual:eek:

I have clothes from 10 to 16 and am looking forward to working my way down through the sizes :)
Good luck with your shopping :D

Its great to get into smaller stuff isnt it? Makes it all worthwhile. I am wearing a fitted hoodie top today which hasnt seen light of day for nearly 3 years. It is the first fitted thing I have worn for ages and felt comfy in. Still a bit to go, but for the first time in ages I feel quite good about myself!. Hope the scales say its good news tomorrow so this positivity can last

hollys nan said:
Its great to get into smaller stuff isnt it? Makes it all worthwhile. I am wearing a fitted hoodie top today which hasnt seen light of day for nearly 3 years. It is the first fitted thing I have worn for ages and felt comfy in. Still a bit to go, but for the first time in ages I feel quite good about myself!. Hope the scales say its good news tomorrow so this positivity can last

Well done :D you should be proud of yourself to be able to wear something for the first time in 3 years!! I'm so looking forward to doing that!! what I have found is not to fixate on weight but go on how I feel. I have not lost weight but gone down a size!! I'm very happy about that:) good luck :D

Back