Menopausal Madwoman FIFTY SOMETHING!!!

carrie58

Just wondering if any 50 ers are finding it hard to lose?I am 52 and have been sticking to this 98-100% and only seeming to lose about a half a pound to a pound a week on average.I have a stone to lose and am not overeating.It just seems so slow BUT I wont give up.Am I alone or is there a truth in middle age spread?I can't shift that tum!!(well maybe in the long term it will go!).
I do maily green days,and not much carbs either.Mainly superfree and free on(red or green) and small portions of free.Lots of fruit and veg,maybe too much fruit?
Any tips??
Went on a 5 mile walk yesterday and I am always on the go too.
Also sometimes I feel hungry at bed time but go to bed hungry but when i wake up I am NOT hungry!What is all that about!
Sorry to rant on but I want so much to have shifted at least half a stone by May as I have two events to go to:)
Any advice will be welcome thankyou!
Carrie XX

Hi, I am hitting the big 50 in May, hence joining Slimming World on line a few weeks ago!;)

I have lost 5lb :) but have been a bit disappointed, because I have been sticking to the rules, mainly green days and have been walking the dog daily, 9 miles this week,in total. :sigh:
I have very bad joints so it's hard to exercise,trying Rosemary C DVD but not good for the poor old knees(!):eek: but have been feeling really good since starting the walks. Therefore thought weight would be coming off a bit more, only 1lb this week!:confused:
I have hit my menopause and do wonder if it is harder to lose the weight and the spare tyre I have!;)
I am on tablets too for anxiety due to being bullied and victimised by a colleague and manager at work so these too are believed to slow weight loss down a little.
I am using my time off sick to good use and hopefully the weight will come off gradually and stay off!:rolleyes:
Then the new me can start looking for another job :)
Good luck in your weight loss. I thought the hot sweats would surely help me lose weight, sadly not!!!!:cry:

I turned 50 last November, had hoped to shift the weight before I turned 50 but that didn't happen! lol

I haven't found it slow to be honest, certainly some weeks. But I've lost 18lbs in 8 weeks so I figure that's pretty good. I think the difference is not age but the fact that you have so much less to lose than I do, so mine should shift a bit quicker.

Hi
That's good news, well done.
I am a bit of a regulat dieter, do really well, then put it all back on again:eek: so that probably has something to do with it too!:)

Hi HolidayGirl and Dawn,
Well at least I feel more encouraged now that I am not alone.I know that if you have more to lose at the beginning it goes quicker and I do realise that,but even so it is a slow process.I also relate to the aching joints!!Dawn,you have done brilliantly so far!Keep going,that's fab!
And Holidaygirl,sorry to hear about your bullying at work.That's really bad.I did hear that when one is stressed,that one releases cortisol in the brain and that stores fat around the middle.
Well girls,let's keep going and hopefully get slim by the summer.I think we need to eat less and exercise a little more at this stage of our lives!
Good Luck and thanks for the input
Carrie :)

Hi Ladies,
I too am with you on this one. I'll be 52 in May but dont really see myself as being menapausal as no change in "TOTM" and dont suffer from night sweats etc but do have the weight starting to stick around the middle, although i definately have the acheing joints especially the knees and hips. Id be quite happy if i could lose 1.5 stone and thought it was coming off quite easy the first week when i lost 5lb but its only been 1/2lb the last couple of weeks, so a total of 6.5lb lost now and i know ive been sticking to plan (EE days & Red). My plan of action this week was to drink more water which i have done (but need to P every 1hr) so will see if that has helped at weight in on tuesday. Also joined the gym today as my hubby was looking to join so i tagged along with him, the pool area looked soooooooo lovely the gym didnt smell of sweaty men and best of all hubby said he'd pay. So i think im doing all the right things now and hopping for a better loss in the next few weeks. Hopefully we will all reach our goal.

Hi, I'm not in my fifties but my mum is 59 and is doing the diet with me. This week just gone I planned our whole week out for both of us using most of the recipies from here on mini mins. She has been averaging 1.5 per week, but this week she lost 4lb!!!!

I think the trick was to plan the menu for the whole week but also making sure we ate plenty. We did the EE plan for most of the week and it worked really well and we both felt full and satified after every meal.

I lost 2.5 but had my * week so it also worked well for me.

Good luck, I hope you find what works for you. X x x

I turned 50last year and am finding it much harder to lose weight. I put on 11lbs in 3 months and don't seem to be able to shift it. I know i'm not much overweight but I feel more comfortable at the lower end. I joined SW three weeks ago after not doing very well with WW but the same thing is happening again. 2lb loss first week, 1/2lb second week and looks like a weight gain this week. I had sneaky peak this morning! I have been following EE and done couple of green days. Very disappointed but will not give in. I love the SW way of eating and feel better in myself even if scales don't show it. Love this site. Keeps me motivated! Thanks everybody.

Last edited:
Hi, everyone, contributions have been great :)
I did a Davina DVD this morning ( daughter is a dancer, so it's hers!).
Well, I nearly died!!!:eek:
I usually do a Rosemary C one that I have but that "pales into insignificance" compared to the Davina one, found muscles I didn't know I had!!:D
Couldn't do half of it, just did what I could.
I am enjoying trying to get my poor old joints moving a bit though. Really helps with my current work issues as it gets rid of my "angst" and spare tyre, hopefully!;)
x

Hello again Ladies,
Done my 1st stint at the gym this morning first time ive stepped inside one in 10yrs and have to say i quite enjoyed it. Took it steady and did 30mins on the running machine (walking, but quite fast) 10 mins rowing and then done a circuit of weight's. Tried the vibrateing plate but really didnt like that much felt it was going to shake my brain out of my ear, done a bit of swimming, steam and sauna, so all in all feeling pretty good about it all today.

Feel that this is the extra push i need now and if i dont lose any lb's now then i dont know what more i can do.

its now or never.

Hi well I was wondering the other day if the menopause slows your weight loss down. I am having terrible sweats night and day and the last time I did S W many years ago the weight fell of much quicker. I average out at about 1lb a week.I am doing the red and green days the same as I did before. I still feel though that although the loses are much slower than others in group I am very commited to losing and I only need to lose about another stone to target. I am enjoying my food and the whole experience and really look forward to the group meetings and I T. Slowly slowly catchy monkey as they say, and the tortoise won the race! ha ha

Hi Everyone!
Glad to hear that you are exercising and gyming it!Well I guess that the general take is that the losses are slow but steady so I now do not feel so disheartened about it.I know I am on plan and keeping to it,so as you say..................slow and steady wins the race!!
Monday and going to have a good planned out week with 100% in mind!!
Good luck everyone:)

You're right Carrie, slow and sure is the best way as it's less likely to go back on again.

I am 76 and as you will see altho' I have had a good weight loss so far it has been slow. As long as it keeps going down I shall be happy.
The older you get the slower things happen and personally because I am on a variety of meds, disabled with a bad back -anklosing spondilitis - which means I am unable to exercise much at all, it does mean being patient ( and determined) as things don't work as quick as I would like. Heyho!! That's life for you!!...:D

Keep up the good work ladies, and you are bound to get there eventually.

Thanks Emmaline,
Nice to know that you keep on going and don't get too despondant.
seen your friends request so will add you.I am just working my way around this site and seeing how it works!
Have a good day,
Carrie :)

I seem to be losing quite easily .for a change!! and Ive not been exercising ,but then I do have a lot to lose .I started off on EE but didnt lose much on that so have switched to Red and its coming off so much quicker

Hi Lesley,
You look like you are steaming ahead and well done!It is this last SLOW stone to get rid of!I wonder if Red days are better than green.I do mostly green and some EE but dont really eat much meat,but I will try a few Reds and see what happens!!
Keep going!
Carrie

Hi all :) Anne here and im 54 birthday coming up in may ! I've been on SW about 21 weeks and lost 15lb , and this is what I thought the older I've got the harder it is to loose I'm really sticking to this mostly 100 % this time , But I'm thinking if I hadn't been on the plan for 21 weeks I would have prob put a few more LBS on by now :( .... So hang in there girls it will be worth it in the end :) x

Hi Anne,
All encouraging news!!So we will keep on regardless of how slow it goes.At least we are losing!!

Hi, I was 51 in jan and on the mentalpause lol have never found it anywhere near this hard to lose weight before :( I have put on 2 st and have decided enough is enough so starting on sw Sunday when I can figure out a menu!!!! Good to know I'm not alone :D

Hi everyone

It appears I have a bit of a "double wammy" with my weight loss quest.:sigh:
Doc just informed me my weight loss will be slow as I am on tablets for my " anxiety state" so I am feeling rather despondent now :cry:
Oh heck, it really is a rollercoaster ride, and I don't like them!:(

Back