Meow^..^'s wittily-named diary

HI I was told that you had to make you had to make 1/3 of your meal superfree too, so add some salad or grilled toms and mushrooms, but also if you were to have some fruit as a dessert, so straight after your meal that would also count towards it. Mind you it has been over 2 years since i went a group, and i tend to stick with red days which (bizzarely) i find easier!!

Morning Meow,

Wow that's a whole lot of dancin' lol What kind of dance class do you do?

I bought zumba for the wii but I only had a couple of goes, think it's a bit too fast paced for me - need to work on my co-ordination before I try again :eek:

Think I'm 'lucky' in some ways that my partner doesn't cook and is extremely fussy so I always make us separate meals (thankfully he only eats sandwiches, cheese and crackers ect - simple to 'prepare' lol) so I don't have the awkwardness of having to refuse things or eat stuff to be polite. Has your partner had a read of your books to see what's okay for you while you follow SW? You could also suggest recipes out of the magazine or something so there's a guideline - just point out no tweaking allowed e.g. letting oil slip in instead of frylight :)

Re EE - It does say in the extra easy book that you should make 1/3 of every meal superfree. It's not really to do with having a 1/3 of your day superfree - it's meant to help naturally limit the other kinds of foods that you eat at a meal. What that consultant said sounds like a personal tweak to me!

And as you say if you do it over the day it will come down to guesstimating. If you do it at each meal you can visually judge what's on your plate to make sure you are having 1/3 as superfree. The only bit that does puzzle me if superfree means only fruits/veg or if it includes eggs, tofu etc which are also on the superfree list in my books. I don't go to meetings so I just follow the handbooks I have at home but I think most people on here would be quick to point out the 1/3 superfree at every meal rule :)

We've been going to Wales since I was born basically lol We go to the RSPB bird place at Conwy rather than the castle direct - you get a nice view from there though :) And we've been to Caenarfon a good few times aswell - my grandparents love their all-day breakfasts from the cafes there lol It's normally a toss up between a day out at Caenarfon or Bangor since they're on opposite sides of the roundabout as you come off from Anglesea (where we have our caravan).

Hmm, you’re right! The book does say for a 1/3 of the plate to be superfree! To be honest, I’ve been so hectic at work since starting SW that I’ve not read through the books really carefully and thought I was doing OK, until just now realising that I’ve not been doing it 100% :( This is what I do all the time actually, I get really busy at work and then end up coming home in that same frazzled frame of mind and not doing things that I’m supposed to/to look after myself. Since starting SW I’ve been more proactive at going on the Wii though, especially as I like being told that I’ve lost weight when I weigh in! So I think it’s been good for me from that point of view, I just need to keep going further with disengaging my brain. I should have got this SW stuff ironed out earlier this week, as it seems I’ve been fluffing it a bit!

In my books, eggs, tofu and beans are in the green free foods section (with the rices, pastas, et al.) not with the veges and fruit in superfree (orange).

I do bellydance classes! I usually have them twice every week, but it’s been a bit off-and-on lately, with me going away for work and teachers not being able to do the classes, so it was really nice to be back again last night! :squee: I’ve been doing it for around 5 years and it was a big part of my life before coming over here, so it’s good to be getting into it again. A load of fun, makes me feel amazing about myself and the people I seem to meet there are just amazing. I tried a beginner Zumba DVD a while back and it was a complete disaster! It was so fast I couldn’t keep up with it. I’ve thought about getting it for the Wii – been saving up my Tesco points (this is re partner being out of work again), although I’m quite keen on the Just Dance one as well. I’ve had an email from a friend this week about some Zumba classes, thought I might give it a go, see if I can make a fool of myself somewhere other than just my living room!

I had a look through the red and the green plans this morning and it seems to be more restrictive? I guess that’s the point. I’m going away to Blackpool this weekend to check out the lights and other things tacky, so I think I’ll stick to EE for the time being and then look into nailing it down over the following week and next weekend. I’ll be back with questions, you’ll be sorry you offered soon! I like the way you do weeks on different things. I might copy you...!

LoChan, holy crap, have you lost almost 40 pounds in like 3 months? You’re a legend! Are you concerned that your partner will get scurvy? Tee hee – just kidding!! xx

HI I was told that you had to make you had to make 1/3 of your meal superfree too, so add some salad or grilled toms and mushrooms, but also if you were to have some fruit as a dessert, so straight after your meal that would also count towards it. Mind you it has been over 2 years since i went a group, and i tend to stick with red days which (bizzarely) i find easier!!

Well that makes sense, thank you! We need to do some more supermarket shopping to replenish the vege supplies and I need to take more control over what meals are being prepared.

I've been thinking of making some sort of scrapbook of SW/SW-friendly recipes. We always look through them in the magazines and think 'Ooh that sounds nice' and then it gets put away somewhere never to be seen. I have recently discovered Hobbycraft, it'll be a legitimate excuse to go back there!!

Went site-seeing in Liverpool today, it was really cold! Nice day out, but unfortunately the ferry didn’t sing as I was hoping for. Boo! Silly me, thinking my 6 months of roaming around were going to advise anyone about holiday destinations. Is Anglesea good to visit? I was thinking it might be nice to go out to spend a couple of nights over that way sometime.

Talking about the cold, I think I need a new jacket. The problem being that I’m hoping that nothing I am wearing at the moment will fit me next time its season comes around, so I don’t want to spend money on a jacket to last me a couple of months, especially since I’m not swimming in it at the moment. So I’m not really sure what to do, but my layering techniques are no longer working, especially if I want to leave the house. I’m looking on ebay at the moment!

Weighing in tomorrow morning... eek!! I'm a bit nervous, since it's * week, first week on holidays, first week with bread and also realising I've not being doing it right!! Also, it's getting to the point where I need to start wearing something other than leggings and a light dress to weigh in - or maybe large chunks of me are going to start freezing off, which sounds like a great plan!

Food
Breakfast: eggs scrambled with some Quark, loads of eggs and bits of baked gammon, apple

Lunch: Sandwich (wheatgerm bread [~50g, HEXB], baked gammon, lettuce, Quark)

Dinner: slice of baked gammon, 2 eggs, oven fries (3 Syns), giant pile of garden peas and broccoli (I know garden peas aren't superfree, but I need to go to the supermarket!)

Snacks: 2x bananas, 2x apples, latte (HEXA, + 5 Syns)*

Exercise
Loads of site-seeing :)

* That was just such a giant pain in the ass! I totally didn't mean to get that. I just felt like a coffee and I'd only just sat down when the waiter asked me what I wanted, and I just said I wanted a latte, without really thinking about it, and then it turned out to be 90% milk and I didn't enjoy it at all and it was so full of Syns. I'm really annoyed at it!!!

Last edited:
Ooh it's getting spooky - it's my WI day tom'ow too and we're really similar height and weight wise! lol

I wouldn't worry overmuch about not following things 100% before - you've still been losing weight, imagine how you'll do once you get to grips with things! Best to take some time out on the weekend or whatever (if you don't work weekends of course) and have another read up on the plans - I joined a group in 2004 for a few months and have a 2006 and 2009 handbook and I still give them a full re-read every so often to refresh :)

I think in my books superfree is defined as any food that is free on all plans *shrugs* I do tend to mostly count fruit/veg as the superfree on my plate anywho and it seems to do the trick for me hehe.

Belly dancing sounds fab and fun - think I've got an exercise dvd with belly dancing which I've never looked at lol Should dig it out. Where have you 'come over here' from?

The fastness of zumba is what tripped me up (literally) - my feet just refuse to leave the floor that frequently lol Sticking with plain old wii fit for a while though might give the biggest loser game a go this weekend for a change :)

Red and green = restrictive... hmn, it depends on your perspective I suppose. It does seem daunting trying them out when you've only tried out EE. I like having the extra healthy a's and b's for red/green days and it gets me trying new things, especially on the challenge weeks - I write out a list of recipes I'm gonna try usually so I have some sort of plan for each day, helps loads. A recipe scrapbook sounds like a brilliant idea, with sections for the different plans - should do that m'self lol

I've been to Liverpool twice and not managed to fit the ferry into my trips yet lol One day - if there's no singing I'll have to take my iPod and listen to Mersey Paradise instead :D

Mn Anglesea... well there's no castles lol It's more for lots of walking about places for the views, lovely clean beaches. And lots of car boot sales that take me back to my childhood lol

Don't fret so much over the latte - these things happen. Besides you can have up to 15 syns a day (or do as I do and count them over the whole week). I really recommend staying up the high end of your syns while you start out anyway, personally I find it works best for me and I reckon you need to keep them higher while you've still got a lot to lose so there's something to cut back on when you get further down the road :)

Best of luck for tomorrow hun - hope you have a fab result :) Luckily I don't have the WI outfit issue, weigh at home first thing (after a huge saturday lie-in!) in the altogether lol

Oof I've gone on a bit lol Think I've covered everything :D

Good luck with your wi tomorrow - I remember spending ages weighing my clothes on the kitchen scales to find something warm enough for the winter, but not too much heavier than what i was wearing previously, especially as the group i used to go to was in a freezing scout hut! I think I was a little obsessive lol!!!

I agree that it is the orange pages of your book is superfree, so that includes eggs, tofu, quorn aswell as the fruit and (most) veg, so it is the food that is free on both plans.

How annoying is that with the latte!!! I have done that many times -the other day I ordered an open steak sandwich - I asked for no chips no cheese, extra salad and wholemeal bread, and when it turned up they had buttered the bread!! All you can do is count up the syns and chalk it up to experience!

I like doing red days so i can have two Hex a's and 2 b's - so i can have milk on my weetabix and cheese on my bacon omelette at lunch, then for tea I can have a wm roll with my homemade hamburger. It can be a pain weighing some stuff, and i guess meals can be restrictive, but if i want a curry with rice, I'll have an ee day, so that gives me the flexibility. I probably have 5 red days and 2 ee per week with the odd green day thrown in when i'm feeling really hungry.

Sorry I have gone on a bit - best of luck with the weigh in xxx

Don't you two ladies apologise for going on, I like it!

We are quite similar in our vital stats, LoChan, and location! Do you work?

I've just moved here from New Zealand in April this year, it's been great (other than now needing to buy some winter clothes!). I definitely recommend that DVD, but would recommend going to a class even more! I think there are loads in the civilisation by you ;) And I'll let you know if a Zumba class goes any better for me than the DVD did, although I doubt it! With the DVD, I just ended up shuffling around my lounge trying to wiggle my butt every now and then! I've heard about this Wii biggest loser game, what does it involve?

I went to Liverpool a couple of years ago and there was singing, so I'm not sure what happened to it this time! Maybe it's because it wasn't a weekend...? You can get these Saveaway tickets for Liverpool, which get you access to all the bus/rail/ferries in the area for el cheapo.

I've not been planning any of my food so far, you're very good! I think after I get back from Blackpool on Monday night I'll get myself sorted with food for the week and start on my recipe scrapbook.

Val, are you a permanent Australia resident or have you come over from the UK? I'd never heard of SW in NZ, we only have Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig. I didn't get as far as the kitchen scales, but I did 'weigh' some joggers versus leggings in my hands for quite some time this morning. It's pretty chilly so I went with the joggers - must be where the extra 0.5 lbs came from at my weigh in this morning! I was quite gutted! If this is what my ovaries are responsible for, I'll put them up on ebay!! Maybe someone will swap them for a nice warm fur-lined jacket in my size? Definitely need to start taking this more seriously! Although I may have something nice and a little drinky at Blackpool this weekend :)

I did end up taking the SOTW stuff home for the 3rd week in a row though - the real winner didn't stay for group and I got it in a raffle.

Hi - i hope you are ok after your wi today - I know it is really gutting having a gain, however small - but stick with it, it will come off!

I came over from the UK 2 1/2 years ago when hubby got a job out here and we got our permanant residency earlier this year. All we have here is weight watchers or jenny craig too - or shakes!!! So am doing sw online. Did you move for work?

I was looking at wii games the other day but couldnt decide which one to get so i didnt get any. It was between zumba, dance party 3 and something else i couldnt remember. Bought the kids Nickolodean Fit with diego and dora in it. So if you have any top tips I would love to get some advice.

take care xxx

Oooh I'd love to visit both Australia and New Zealand one day, closest I've got is a packet of timtams :8855: Do the sheep in Wales make you homesick? :giggle:Like Val, I'm wondering what brought you here? :confused:

I work jobshare for manchester city council - 3.5hrs a day instead of 7, fits in with collecting my son from school and gives me a bit of time for cooking and whatnot. Tend to let the house slip here and there to let the diet take priority lol

I think I'm a bit too insecure to join a dance class, or even a gym for that matter, and don't have anyone to go with :sigh: Will consider looking into it when I get further along with things :) Can't remember what the biggest loser game is like since I had a go about twice when I bought it over a year ago then it got left, then I got too big for the wii board :eek: I remember it does WIs like on the show and has some 'challenges' and probably some exercises like wii fit. Shall dust it off tom'ow and let you know how it goes... going to ignore the WI result though as the Wii always weighs me heavy, plus I overdid it after WI today and had a bit of a syn splurge on a slice of chocolate tart :p

I wouldn't worry too much about the teeny tiny gain hun, these things can happen to anyone after a run of good losses. I'm sure if you get some meals/days planned out for next week you'll have a huge loss next week :D

And ovaries... heh my * week turned up today... don't tell me we're similar in -that- aswell :8855:Though mine have been pretty sporadic since I can remember so they're always a surprise! Not really what I wanted to take away with me on wednesday but oh well :eek:

mmmm ... timtams!!!!!

xxx

They're so nice! I think I'm overdue some more of those, can get them online or in selfridges for silly prices but it's worth it for now and again :)

It's funny 'cause I really hate Penguins, the british equivalent :8855:

Bizzarely I can buy penguins in the 'english' aisle in my local supermarket, just like they have a polish section in asda!! - along with hoola hoops, yorkies and fig rolls - bit expensive, but i do like a fig roll every now and again lol :)

Bizzarely I can buy penguins in the 'english' aisle in my local supermarket, just like they have a polish section in asda!! - along with hoola hoops, yorkies and fig rolls - bit expensive, but i do like a fig roll every now and again lol :)

Ooh I love looking in the oddity aisles in Asda lol Don't know what I'd miss from home, I'm not usually that bothered. Though I've only left for two weeks at a time lol Is there anything else you particularly miss from the UK? x

Hope you had a lovely weekend Meow (I feel like a cat now lol)!

You too Val :)

I got a bit carried away with being 'on holiday' (though I've got to work tom'ow and wednesday)... Hohum, we will carry on ;)

Ooh I love looking in the oddity aisles in Asda lol Don't know what I'd miss from home, I'm not usually that bothered. Though I've only left for two weeks at a time lol Is there anything else you particularly miss from the UK? x

I had to get my cousin to bring some marmite over when she came - i dont like vegemite, even though they claim it is the same - it's not!! The only other thing I miss is quark - no one has even heard of it here, and its one of those things in loads of recipes!!!

There is also a lack of very low fat things like sausages, minced beef, cottage cheese and fromage frais, which i dont miss as such, it just annoys me that they are not available, and i reckon someone is missing a trick as i bet if they were in the shops, people would buy them. Also when low fat/cal stuff is available it is twice the price!!! But I think that is true the world over.

Sorry, soap box moment over, am off to find a dark corner to calm down ;)

:peep:Hope you're doing alright Meow hun xxx

I had to get my cousin to bring some marmite over when she came - i dont like vegemite, even though they claim it is the same - it's not!! The only other thing I miss is quark - no one has even heard of it here, and its one of those things in loads of recipes!!!

There is also a lack of very low fat things like sausages, minced beef, cottage cheese and fromage frais, which i dont miss as such, it just annoys me that they are not available, and i reckon someone is missing a trick as i bet if they were in the shops, people would buy them. Also when low fat/cal stuff is available it is twice the price!!! But I think that is true the world over.

Sorry, soap box moment over, am off to find a dark corner to calm down ;)

*peers into the dark corner* Are you still there Val? :p

Hmn interesting - don't think I've tried vegemite to compare the two. Though I'm not super mad on marmite either, it's a now and again thing or for sticking in a stew :)

I wonder why the lack of low fat options in the shops? Bizarre (well from a UK resident's perspective)... Then again I go to america and get overwhelmed by the sheer choice of low fat/low cal/sugar free options so think they've gone the polar opposite of australia... and it doesn't seem to have done the US much good considering their obesity levels :rolleyes:

Back