Metformin

I have been put on Metformin by my doctor and I was just wondering if it has helped anyone else with PCOS. Also, when you started taking it did you get a dodgy tummy and how long did that symptom last for you if you did?

Yes, I've taken it on and off for years. It does help alot. With weight, water retention and regulating periods. Dodgy tummy, YES! It's horrible isn't it, I guess you mean just that horrible sudden pain and griped tummy, and rush for the loo.
It does get much better after a few weeks, but even now I can get it, not often but it does happen. If I'm going anywhere special, I don't take it just incase.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi!

I'm on metformin now and find it really helpful - I first tried it years ago before they made a slow release version (which is now the standard one) and I was off uni for three days - I couldn't even watch telly because it was too far away from the bathroom!!!

This time I approached it with caution.. only taking one a day at first, and then only increasing the dose when I was feeling confident that my body had adjusted.. I still had 'moments' in the first few weeks..

but the benefits outweigh the side effects for me. It was only once I'd started taking it that I discovered what a slump I'd been in without it! The struggle to get out of bed before had been put down to being tired, not wanting to go to work etc, and then I started taking it, and now it's still nicer in bed haha but I am physically able to. My body doesn't process insulin and glucose well (having pcos) and metformin helps with that, so of course it's going to make it easier to move around. I even managed to get off the sofa and go for a swim last night.. still a struggle but I made it! I haven't got up to the highest recommended dose because, like you, my body struggles to tolerate it, but my doctor understands that and is happy with the amount I'm on. I did find that it was worse with specific things.. anything too fatty.. I've not eaten sausages since being on it. but that can only be a good thing in the long run.

Good luck and don't put yourself through too much without talking with your GP again!

xx

i was prescribed metforming and tried it for a month with the hope that once my body got used to it it would be ok but i could not cope with the pain! i would be fine 1 min and the next having to run to the toilet and the pain was unbearable, it made me so upset.

i then got the slow release one and it was a bit better but not majorly, god im just thinking about the pain now, i came off it and just stick to slimming without the tablets now.

i take my hat off to anyone that does take them and can cope with the pain, i couldnt x

On advise of my Dr I started taking metformin because of the insulin resistance but have had to stop - not tummy trouble but think my blood sugr just dropped too low (hypoglycemia?) felt very faint - and boo - only lost 0.5lb over two weeks whilst on it....
If it works for you though good luck x

I was on it for a while, but my blood sugars were going to low so I had to stop it. It works for the majority of people though!

Im on it i like it. I find im fuller more, my tummy has settled well, not helped with everything though but helps give me abit of a boost.

I was on it for a while, but my blood sugars were going to low so I had to stop it. It works for the majority of people though!

Lydia thank goodness you've posted - I've read loads about it and it didn't seem to cause problems like that for most people. I was ready for the tummy trouble :eek: but not an issue but couldn't go on how I was.
Wishing everyone else well on it though x

Sue

Back