Mfp & exercise calories helllp!!

wafflewaffle

Gold Member
I'm so confused.... Guys that use myfitnesspal do you eat your exercise calories?
Also how do you get accurate amount of calories burned for exercises coz there isn't a vast array of exercises on there?
Also why is there such a massive difference between the amount of calories mapmywalk app says I burn to what myfitnesspal says?!
Really hope someone can help answer all my questions I just want to be as accurate as possible so I can get this weight off :) thanks x

The mfp exercise calories are generally considered to be quite over estimated. So most people say if you're eating back to eat 50-75% of the figure given.

If you've got an accurate way to measure the calories then use that (like a heart rate monitor or something).

As to whether you eat back or not you'll get many different answers. I do, others don't. It really just depends on what works for you. I couldn't do without the calories I get from my fitbit every day, with them, I don't struggle.

All calorie counting is trial and error. However always start by eating AS MANY calories as you can whilst still losing weight. This will set you up for a slightly easier maintenance.

So my advice would be to start off eating them and slowly reduce if that doesn't work for you.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

The mfp exercise calories are generally considered to be quite over estimated. So most people say if you're eating back to eat 50-75% of the figure given. If you've got an accurate way to measure the calories then use that (like a heart rate monitor or something). As to whether you eat back or not you'll get many different answers. I do, others don't. It really just depends on what works for you. I couldn't do without the calories I get from my fitbit every day, with them, I don't struggle. All calorie counting is trial and error. However always start by eating AS MANY calories as you can whilst still losing weight. This will set you up for a slightly easier maintenance. So my advice would be to start off eating them and slowly reduce if that doesn't work for you. Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Wow thanks so much for your reply... It boggles my brain really because I'm heavy and it expects for me to lose 2lb a week that I have 1200 calories a day, if I didn't eat back exercise calories then that seems a really low starting point considering what you just said about starting higher and lowering it!
Atm I'm trying to do 1650 a day and I am eating back my exercise but God knows if that's right or not :( just want to do something where I'm guaranteed to lose weight!

How come I can't see your diary hun? Well done on your amazing weight loss so far, you look lovely in your profile pic if you don't mind me saying x

How come I can't see your diary hun? Well done on your amazing weight loss so far, you look lovely in your profile pic if you don't mind me saying x

Stack's diary is in the Silver Members Diaries section, so you need a greater number of posts to see it (not sure how many). She's fab, and eats all sorts of yummy things - we share the theory of eating more calories and not depriving yourself!! :D xx

Stack's diary is in the Silver Members Diaries section, so you need a greater number of posts to see it (not sure how many). She's fab, and eats all sorts of yummy things - we share the theory of eating more calories and not depriving yourself!! :D xx

Aww really I hope I get enough posts to see soon! I feel like I've done lots lol!! X

Aw. Thanks Tracy!!

Aww really I hope I get enough posts to see soon! I feel like I've done lots lol!! X

Yeah, it's in the silver members because I post quite a few photos of me so I don't want it being searchable :)
I'm on mfp though with the same username and I've got an open food diary on there if you wanted to have a ganders.

Deffo start as high as you can. My goal is 1550 without exercise but I usually eat about 1800-2200 depending on what I've done.

Oh, and I think it's 500 posts to get in the silver members section.

I may move it as it could help with the whole EAT MORE philosophy that Tracy and I parrot :D

Oh, and I think it's 500 posts to get in the silver members section. I may move it as it could help with the whole EAT MORE philosophy that Tracy and I parrot :D Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Eating more sounds good, I eat quite a bit at times lol but a lot less than I did before I was dieting, I'm ashamed to say that most dAys I was eating about 3,000 calories a day! I have just added you to mfp my username is geraldineo1 are you on mfp Tracy? Xx

Back