Midwife1311's Munchings

midwife1311

Hi All

Am new to SF-have done the old core plan in the past though :) I loved it but it was too restricting only being "allowed " three meals a day! I work 12 hour shifts and need to snack lots to keep going , lol. I am gonna try to use my weekly points for extra nice food rather than rubbish(we will see !!) May join a class on Tuesday to give me extra motivation too.

So here goes(work day12.00-00.00)

B- Crumpets x3, olive spread (1pp) babybel light x3 (3pp), coffee with skimmed milk 0pp
L-Quinoa salad with roasted red onion,tomatoes, garlic, free oil allowance, red wine vinegar and 50g Halloumi 5pp
D- Quorn Chilli & rice

Fruit throughout the day if needed

Hope everyone has a good day

Deb x

Welcome! Looks like a good day! R u vegetarian ?

Sounds good! There is another vegetarian on this forum

Welcome to SF!

Looks like a really good day to start with and your lunch salad sounds absolutely delicious. I love quinoa and halloumi so might have to try that soon.

Don't like the look of your 12 hour shifts though! I feel tired and grumpy enough after 7.5 hour days. Must make it much more difficult to plan meals and eat healthily so big well done for managing that. What is it you do?

Hi Atomic & Daisy

Thanks for dropping by :)

Atomic I love quinoa too - the one I buy is a Waitrose red quinoa and buckwheat mix and it's yum!

I really need to stay away from high GI stuff and bread in particular as I have a borderline underactive thyroid which makes it doubly diff to lose weight :(

I used to do sw but hardly lost any weight on it :( and thyroid issues are prob the cause so am gonna see how I get on with SF .

I hate12 shifts too :( am a Paramedic :) love my job but hate the hours ! I really find it diff not to eat loads of sugar / snacks etc cos the day is sooo long !!

Have a good day :) will pop over to your diary when I get a chance too :)

I have that Waitrose quinoa mix too - its delicious!

Have you had your thyroid problem officially diagnosed? If you have can I ask how that came about and what has been suggested to control it? I ask because I had an appointment with the nutritionist at my gym (it was a freebie with my membership) to see what I was doing wrong as I have been unable to lose any weight this year despite sticking to plan (firstly with SW then with WW for last 2 months). She looked through my food diary and made a few minor suggestions but said there wasn;t anything wrong with what I was eating or my exercise so wondered if there was a problem with my thyroid. She suggested I take my waking temperature for 5 days and on the basis of these results thinks I have a borderline underactive thyroid. Problem is I had full blood tests at the doctors a few months ago and thyroid came back as in normal range so I don't really feel any closer to a solution for my completely stalled losses.

12 hour shifts as a paramedic sounds even more difficult! Must be a really intense job most of the time.

Hi Atomic

Sorry to read about your frustration with not being able to lose weight :( our stories are almost identical .... :(

Like you , I found it really difficult to lose weight despite doing all the " right " things. I too had blood test for thyroid but apparently the range for
the thyroid hormone ( T4 & T3) if you with to get technical is a pretty broad range so someone with a result on the low side of normal may have symptoms but not fall into the remit of needing thyroxine !!

Also it's an unreliable test really and docs are supposed to retest in 12 weeks if symptoms still persist and then an average of three tests will determine the correct levels and whether they are within range !!! . This is all well and good depending on how sympathetic your Gp is.

I got fed up with going back and forwards so paid for a full consultation with a nutritionist who recommended thyroid supplements and diet recommendations . Avoid cruciferous veg like broccoli and such like ....

You have made a start with your nutritionist and maybe you need to consult a diff Gp or get a referral to hosp ??

I have been lazy with the whole thyroid thing but will start again once I get my butt into gear .

Certain foods defo make me more sluggish though and when I am focused I feel tons better.

Started reading your diary and will continue when I am off next :) whereabouts do you live ???
Have you ever been diagnosed or have the symptoms of PCOS ?? Cos that and thyroid are closely linked!

Like you ,I know the stuff to do and my body just doesn't " get it"!!! ?it's incredibly frustrating !!

Keep going , don't give up and you will get to the bottom of whets going on with you .

Take care xx

Thanks for sharing, our stories really are pretty similar. It is rather reassuring that I have not just imagined the whole thing! Its been so frustrating and to be honest at the minute I feel pretty defeated by the whole thing.

Wasn't aware there were supplements that nutritionists could prescribe, how have you found them? I have done research on foods that help and hinder thyroid and have started including more seafood and seaweed and limitting soy products and brocoli and cabbage etc. Have you found much of a difference when following the dietry advice?

Don't have any other conditions that I know of and to be honest the only symptom of the thyroid appears to be not losing weight. I am tired in the evenings but I get up at 6am every day so that explains that! Looked up symptoms of PCOS and nothing really leaps out at me - my skin is a bit sensitive at times but nothing major. No idea about fertility or the rest of it as been on the pill for years and don't want kids.

Hope this plan works for you. I will be watching your diary with interest, and by the looks of it nicking food ideas along the way!

Hey, how have things been? Taking it you have probably been busy with work so not been back on forum? Hope everything is going ok.

Heylo and welcome to the little simply filling community :-D looks like a good day and used points on sensible things like cheese not junk! Mmm halloumi really want some now :-D x

Back