Sawyer - To Pregnancy and Beyond!

Sawyer

Silver Member
I have been on this site before. May 2011 to be exact and I loved it. Been back and forward for nearly 5 years trying to be good, watching what I eat but have never stuck with anything. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 15 months now, with no luck and it turns out my cycle is all over the place. Have been advised that I'll need referred to a fertility clinic in March if we're still not pregnant. To get fertility treatment, they advise you to lose weight - so might as well get on it now! And what better motivation?? I am ready and I'm dragging my husband on the journey too, because... why not?

Healthy eating began 4th January 2016 after a false start on the 3rd. Everyone at work is doing Slimming World and I got some bumf to look at and seemed like a good way to go. So here goes. My Food Diary begins.

January 4th 2016 - MONDAY - Day Off

Breakfast
  • Banana
  • Cherry Muller Light

I was getting ready to go out but rustled up a delicious lunch before I left:

Lunch
  • 50g dry pasta
  • 1 tin of drained tuna in spring water
  • 30g mature cheddar (hex A)
  • 1 tbsp Brianna’s Ranch Dressing (2.5 syns)
  • 1/4 bag of baby leaf salad
  • 1/4 red pepper

I was heading to visit friends and knew there would be snacks but she also knows of my new goals! What a lady she is!

Snacks
  • Melon chunks
  • Grapes
  • 3 mini cornflake cakes (4 syns)

I came home a little late so needed a quick tea for a very hangry husband and had popped into Tesco on my way home.

Dinner
  • ready cooked Rainbow trout fillet
  • 1/2 packet Lemon and Coriander couscous (1 syn)
  • 1/2 tray roast vegetables sprayed with one cal olive oil spray
Dessert
  • Weight Watchers raspberry tart yoghurt

I was feeling a little peckish at 10pm and hadn't had my Hex B yet!

Snack

• 30g Kelloggs Golden Crunch (hex b)
  • 100ml unsweetened almond milk (1 syn)
TOTAL

HEX A
HEX B

SYNS 8.5

I was not hungry! A fairly good start considering my Tesco shop didn’t get delivered until 7.30pm. We have now thrown out all food that we won’t eat, all opened snacks and all sugar!! Replaced it with sweetener, healthy snacks and spray oil. Unopened snacks have been put out of sight, out of mind for a wee treat. Ready to continue on this journey. I am ready.

Tomorrow’s goal… first day at home all day alone. Try not to eat the contents of the fridge. EASY!?

January 5th 2016 - TUESDAY - Day Off

My first day at home all day alone! Usually the day I’d treat myself to a nice breakfast, and a lot of snacks! I was ready.

Breakfast

• 2 poached eggs
  • Heinz beans snap pot
  • Small Banana
Lunch
  • 100g cooked pasta
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • 1 drained tin of tuna in spring water
  • Mixed leaves
  • Spring onion
  • 40g feta cheese (most of hex A)
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp Brianna’s ranch dressing (2.5 syns)

It’s a miserable day outside, wet and windy! So I'm snuggled up on the sofa.

Snack

• Nakd Cocoa Delight bar (warmed in the microwave for 20 secs! What a treat!) (7 syns)
  • Tea (dash of milk (rest of hex a))
Dinner
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 1/2 mushroom stir fry pack
  • Baby corn
  • Mange tout
  • 1 portion noodles
  • 1 tbsp Oyster sauce (0.5 syn)
  • Soy sauce
  • Garlic granules, salt and pepper
Dessert
  • 1/2 Galia melon
  • Raspberry and Cranberry Muller Light
  • 30g All Brand Golden Crunch (hex b)
TOTAL

HEX A
HEX B

SYNS 10

Feeling good again today. Not hungry and very happy with my choices! I have a friend and her 2 year old boy and 7 month old girl coming tomorrow for lunch. Going to make tuna pasta salad again, super easy and toddler friendly too! I've never met a kid that doesn't like tuna! Got some treats hidden away for him too, and plenty chopped melon left. Another positive day ♥

Hey Sawyer,

I saw the title of this diary and couldn't resist looking in! My OH and I are in almost the exact same position, been trying for about 17 months, and my cycle too is all over the place! I live in Belgium and even though it's private healthcare they wont even consider sending us for fertility treatment until we lose a bit of weight so we started on 4th January too. I've also been 'playing' at diets on and off for about 5 years, but this year I'm determined to refocus and make a difference.

I'm trying not to get too stressed about the baby situation (so much easier said than done, and if one more person tells me 'just stop thinking about it and it will happen' I will not be held responsible for my actions!) and so I'm giving myself another target of wedding dress shopping but really it's double the motivation.

Your two days of the diary look delicious and very on plan! I think I'm going to steal your lunch recipe from yesterday for my dinner tomorrow night, it sounds delicious - I love spring onion and tuna together!

Good luck with your day ahead today, and stay positive! It's helped me to know that there is someone else in the same boat as me

Dxx

Hi, thanks for replying! It's reassuring that we are not on our own right? Can sometimes be a lonely situation. Doesn't help that all my friends/acquaintances are getting pregnant so easily! But it's even more motivation to get the weight off, and not to go too mental!

The pasta salad is amazing, made it for my friend today and she loved it! Mixed the pasta and tuna with red pepper, yellow pepper, spring onion and gherkins today which made it so yummy, lots of salad leaves and a diet coke. Amazing :rainbow:

Welcome back Sawyer and good luck with to you both on your future plans on becoming parents:)

Love your diary and the way you have colour-coded it as you can see everything at a glance.

I hope all your dreams and goals come true in 2016!

January 6th 2016 - WEDNESDAY - Day Off

My friend was visiting for lunch today, been cleaning and tidying all morning so had a quick breakfast.

Breakfast

• 30g All Bran Golden Crunch (hex b)
  • 100ml unsweetened Almond Milk (a little of my hex a)
  • 1/2 banana
Don't think my breakfast filled me up this morning, needed a random midmorning snack!

Snack

• 2 skinless chicken thighs

Prepared lunch in the morning so it was ready to go when my friend was here, she has 2 kids so was a bit rushed!

Lunch (this is the whole portion for both of us, and the kid)
  • 1 tin of drained tuna in spring water
  • cooked pasta
  • 1/4 red pepper
  • 1/4 yellow pepper
  • 8 gherkins
  • 2 spring onions
  • 1/2 packet of beetroot salad leaves
  • 90g Feta (2x hex a)
  • 2 tbsp Brianna's Ranch Dressing (5 syns)
I would probably count my portion to be 2 syns for the dressing and the rest of my hex a. Only had a few bits of feta and the toddler ate the rest off my plate lol.

Snack
  • Golden Wonder ready salted (6.5 syns)
  • SW egg and ham muffins with a tiny bit of cheddar (0.5 syns)
  • Diet Coke
  • 3 Healthy Living butter mints (1 syns)
  • Carrot sticks
Kinda wish I hadn't eaten the crisps but I was really craving them! Still way within syns so not bad! I'm a crisp monster, even when I hide them, they're never far away :eek: The muffins are an experiment, will see how they turn out! Made 3 so can have 2 for breakfast and 1 as a snack now! *NEED TO STOP EATING NOW. Having a hungry afternoon, don't think I filled up enough at lunch because I had visitors, and the cat was lurking about ready to eat any tuna that she could get her hands on, and my friend's kids were going mental. Haha. Hard work!

Dinner
  • 3 griddled Sizzle steaks
  • Parsnips
  • Carrots
  • Broccoli
  • 75ml of Kallo beef gravy (1.5 syns) (30 cals in 75ml - used the 1 syn in 20 cal method)
Dessert
  • Weight Watchers strawberry tart yoghurt
  • frozen grapes
TOTAL
HEX
HEX B

SYNS 11.5

Didn't do badly today but definitely didn't need the crisps, or all the snacks! Enjoyed my dinner though, like a quick mid week roast. Will do better tomorrow, then I'm night shift all weekend so will have no choice but to eat well because I'll have nothing with me except good stuff, and no shops open! Just need to avoid the 3 McDonald's I drive past on my 40 minute commute! Man how I love a sausage and egg McMuffin after night shift!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Welcome back Sawyer and good luck with to you both on your future plans on becoming parents:)

Love your diary and the way you have colour-coded it as you can see everything at a glance.

I hope all your dreams and goals come true in 2016!

Thank you so much! Colour coding seems a great idea but I keep forgetting my colours haha!

My partner and I have been trying for 3 years. I was 5 stone lighter when I got pregnant with my daughter nearly 4 years ago and I knew I wanted another baby, but we've had no luck. I know I have polycystic ovaries which makes conceiving difficult but the doctor said loosing weight will alleviate many symptoms of it, including the rather handsome beard I'm capable of growing.
I'm hoping that if I shift even that 5 stone I will have a better chance, although it will probably take another 5 stone again before I'm at target. No one noticed I was pregnant last time, the baby belly just blended in to the rest of me, I purposefully wore 'bun in the oven' t-shirts so people didn't think I was just fatter than normal. I had to join a special class for the larger pregnant woman and was told I couldn't have a 'natural birth' because of the risk to my health that my weight caused and had to have a 'spine needle' (forgotten what its called) It was nothing like my first pregnancy 13 years and 10 stone ago when strangers commented on my baby belly and no one ever suggested I couldnt have a natural birth.
If I get pregnant again then I will 100% not gain another 5 stone, even if if kills me. Hopefully this time it won't take 10 years again.

January 7th 2016 - THURSDAY - Day Off

Breakfast
  • 1.5 Smoked Mackerel fillets (3 syns)
  • 2 tbsp baked beans
  • 1 SW ham and asparagus quiche (0.5 syns)

Really didn't enjoy my breakfast at all, felt really nauseasted and couldn't stomach it. Which is even more annoying that I used Syns for it and it wasn't worth it!!

Snack

• Galia melon
Lunch
  • SW Recipe spicy roast veg soup
  • Kingsmill Wholemeal thin (hex b)
  • 1 tsp real butter (2 syns)
  • Diet Coke
Snack
  • Tea with dash of semi skimmed (1 syn)
Dinner
  • Prawn and asparagus pasta. (Sauce made with spring onion, garlic, piri piri seasoning, lemon zest and 1 small pot of 0% fat Greek yoghurt)
  • 30 g Parmesan (hex a)
Chuffed to bits with my pasta, it's amazing!

Dessert
  • Christmas chocolate 25g (6.5 syns)
Total

HEX A
HEX B

SYNS 13

Feeling a little 'out of sorts' today, no idea why. A little sick, cold and tired! Looking forward to my pasta and chocolate tho. Even better since I weighed the chocolate and I can have two pieces, instead of the one I had estimated! A Santa and a Reindeer weigh 25g. What an absolute treat :woohoo:

Last edited:
Your dinner sounds delicious! I might steal it as an idea for myself! And the chocolate is an added bonus! When is your weigh in day?
Mine was today - stayed the same which is bleugh but better than a gain...

Hope you are feeling better, given the title of the thread I feel I should suggest perhaps it's O time, I always feel nauseous then, a recent discovery as given how all over the place I am there is almost no way. I always put it down to something I ate before but once I started tracking symptoms noticed that almost all of the time a period starts 14 days later, handy because you know there is nothing better to do when you feel nauseous than try to have a baby ;) and temperature dropping can also be a sign... who knows!

Also hi Jhsax! Good luck with your journey, it is such a challenge but I guess you would tell us it's worth it in the end! Completely share your pain on doctors telling you to lose weight and I agree that it is a major factor but it seems to be easy for them to not have to help until you do anything then I think, but it could just be me being super grumpy this morning!

I also have to be in the 'mood' to eat fish in the morning.
I also find sickness and grumpiness arrive a few days before star week.

Have you tried the ovulation kits? Its a bit like a pregnancy kit, you pee on a stick, it helped me conceive last time.

yeah, I've done them the last few months, and there is usually a point where you get a positive test, but they say that still doesn't guarantee you actually ovulate, this month we are going to skip the tests and relax focus on weight loss for a few months so that when we go to the docs we can already be in as best a position as possible.

I also do temperatures in the morning but they are all over the shop! like 35.6 one morning and 36.3 the next then 35.3 its ridiculous

Hey guys! Have used those O sticks in the past but it really stresses me out, and I get very anxious! Because we are waiting for fertility clinic referal, I've stopped testing, stopped tracking and stopped thinking about my cycle because it just gets too much for me! Need a wee break! Have even locked my period tracker app, husband has the password for when we need it again haha!

Anyway, still feeling crap this morning, did a pregnancy test just in case but negative! Had to call in sick for work tonight. As a nurse, we are not allowed to work with nausea/sickness. Going to have a quiet day on the sofa with my duvet and maybe some leftover soup later if I am feeling better!

Weigh in day officially is Tuesday morning but did a cheeky mid way weigh today. 111.9kg!! Down 2.1kg so far! I know there are always big losses in week 1 but I'm delighted. Will surely meet my 1st target at this rate!

We are off to Iceland for a holiday on 2nd Feb and wanted to be 110kg by then so looking likely! I also have a size 20 ski jacket which is very slightly too tight. This will maybe mean it'll fit better by the time we leave! :wee:

WEIGHT 111.9kg

Sorry your still feeling unwell, if its any consolation that might help with weight loss lol.
Iceland sounds lovely, I've never been but I've seen it on the TV.

Thanks J!

Haha I was thinking that. Knowing me though I'll feel better tomorrow and eat all the food possible!!!!!

January 8th January 2016 - FRIDAY - off work sick

Breakfast
  • Water
  • Cup of tea with milk (from hex a)

Felt rubbish all morning, sickness and generally just not great. Didn't fancy breakfast at all.

Lunch
  • Leftover homemade soup
  • Kingsmill Wholemeal thin (hex b)
  • 1 tsp butter (2 syns)

Snack
  • Skinless chicken thigh
  • Golden Wonder S&V Ringos (4 syns)

Dinner
  • Mango chutney glazed chicken and potatoes (1 syn)
  • Green beans and roast broccoli
Still not feeling 100% at all. An easy tea was needed and still low syn! Originally counted as 2 syns but ended up pouring a lot of the glaze away half way through cooking because it was too watery so cut it down a little!

Dessert

• Frozen banana, blitzed with splash of almond milk (hex a), 3 tsp drinking chocolate powder (3.5 syns), and 1 tbsp maple syrup (2 syns)
  • 3 tbsp light squirty cream (0.5 syn)
TOTAL

HEX A (some of anyway!)
HEX B

SYNS 13

Last edited:
Very proud of myself tonight, after spending most of the day feeling sorry for myself in front of the TV, I have since prepared 2 meals for Sunday and Monday!

Ordered 750g of 5% mince in my Tesco shop. So I've made burgers for Monday night, and a veg packed chilli to have with baked sweet potato on Sunday night! Both in the freezer ready to come out when needed! Now back in front of the TV!

It was OK, don't know what I did wrong but it wasn't as glazed as I'd hoped! It was a recipe from the newspaper inspired by slimming world apparently!

Serves 2

- 400g baby new potatoes, halved
- 2 chicken breast, diced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp mango chutney mixed with 2 tbsp cold water

Put it all in a casserole dish and mix it well, season and bake at 200'c for 30-40 mins. I chucked in green beans 10 mins before the end, and served with roast broccoli.

Just realised what I did wrong! I halved the original recipe, but didn't half the water I added to mango chutney so the glaze was too thin oops!! I poured half the glaze down the sink half way through cooking cause there was so much water

2 syns per tbsp mango chutney, the rest is free!

January 9th 2016 - Saturday - night shift

Woke up late this morning, and feeling loads better! Back to work tonight. Ran a few errands before coming home for brunch!

Brunch

• Grill Up
  1. 2 rashers bacon (fat removed)
  2. 2 Quorn sausages (2 syns)
  3. Scrambled egg made with splash of milk (some of hex a)
  4. Wholemeal thin (hex b)
  5. 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup (2 syns)
  6. Tea with splash of milk (some of hex a)
Snack
  • 2x nectarine
  • Tea with splash milk (some of hex a)
Dinner
  • Quick prawn curry
  • Rice
Start work at 1930. Probably need a snack before midnight.

Snack

• Melon
  • Ringos (4 syns)
Total

HEX A (very little)
HEX B

SYNS 8

This is my first set of nights doing SW, so not sure how it will go. I either want to eat all the bread on night shift or eat nothing at all! We'll see. Will go midnight to midnight for my allowances I think. I'll plan my food now so I only take what I can eat.

January 10th 2016 - SUNDAY - night shift

Lunch (0030)
  • Ham roll
  1. Wholemeal roll (hex b)
  2. Bertolli light 1 tsp (1 syn)
  3. Mustard 1 tsp (0.5 syns)
  4. Ham
  5. Spinach
  • Tea with milk (hex a)
Snack (0700)
  • 2x yellow plums
  • Muller light
Sleeping between 0900 and 1700.

Dinner (1830)

• Baked sweet potato
  • 1 mini tub light philly (2.5 syns)
  • Vegetable and 5% fat beef mince chilli
Snack
  • Ringos (4 syns)
  • Tea with milk (hex a)
  • 25g porridge oats (5 syns)
  • 180ml Milk (hex a)
TOTAL

HEX A

HEX B

SYNS 15 (2 added on for tomorrow's dinner - flexi synning!)

January 11th 2016 - MONDAY - finish night shift 0800 then day off.

Lunch (0100)

• Wholemeal roll (hex b)
  • Bertolli spread 1 tsp (1 syn)
  • Tomato sauce 1 tsp (0.5 syn)
  • 2 Quorn sausage (2 syns)
Snack (0430)
  • Nectarine
  • Satsuma
  • Muller light
Snack (0600)
  • Apple
  • 1x skinless chicken leg
Slept 0900-1400

Breakfast (1530)
  • 2x slices ham
  • Salad
  • 1 tsp salad dressing (0.5 syns)
  • Apple
  • 2x cups of tea (hex a)
Dinner
  • SW Burger
  • Bacon (fat removed)
  • 30g grilled Halloumi (hex a)
  • Wholemeal pitta (7.5 syns)
  • SW Chips
  • SW BBQ sauce
  • Rocket salad with balsamic vinegar
Dessert
  • Treat size Cadburys bar (5.5 syns)
TOTAL

HEX A
HEX B

SYNS 15
TOTAL 15/105

(I am flexi synning! Using 2 syns from yesterday to even out my syn usage!)

Will take Mug Shots and more fruit for hunger emergencies but this looks plenty to eat as far as I can tell. Probably will update in the middle of the night sometime! Going for a nap now!

Last edited:
Wow, good luck with nights. I worked nights at weekends in a petrol station when I was in college, I ate all the sell by date sandwiches lol being tired makes you hungry.

Back