Miffed

maybebabypowell

Hello

I am a bit miffed I tested for Ketones this morning, all good.

DH doing the atkins and eating meat like its going out of fashion has too got ketones, am I not eating when I could be on atkins eating whenever I feel like it????

I am not quitting, but just annoyed if this is the case!!!!!

Difference is you are getting all your recommended daily vitimins, minerals and neutriants and he's not! Look it up on google, atkins diet might put you in ketosis but it eats your lean tissue as well as your fat stores. I personally think the diet should be banned!

Plus u wont be as tempted to stray and eat crap!!!!!!!! Keep going hun xxxxxxx

I've done the Atkins in the past and I must say that I felt absolutely terrible on that diet. Did SS for 6 weeks and felt much better for it. I was tired doing SS but I think that had to with the fact that I was pregnant (I was unaware). The Atkins made me feel dizzy,irritated, I had spots all over my face and I felt really greasy LOL!!!
Kelly's right, CD packs contain all the nutrients and I think you will be better of for it :)

Cheers guys

I knew that you could make me see straight!! LOL

stay strong hun!

xx

I can totally relate to the way people are feeling on CD. I am feeling so good! I am more energetic than my BF who eats for 2 (and don't put on weight of course...)!

It is worth calculating your body fat as well. You will see that your body fat % doesn't increase (contrary to some other diets) as CD really targets your fat, and NOT your muscle.

Elie x

Can't let this one go. Atkins/atkins like diets do not target muscle tissue. When you eat a low carb/high fat diet it puts you into ketosis JUST like CD/LL /any VLCD. Being in ketosis means that your body consumes fat as its energy source. Akins and the like are not dangerous diets, there are many eminent cardiologists and nutritionists AND research papers that tell us otherwise. So Maybe baby - the answer to your question is yes, you could be eating and losing weight BUT you would not lose it as fast and as consistently as you will on a VLCD. Your OH should be taking a good quality multi vit and if he does so, his diet will be balanced in terms of vits/minerals. Many people do very well on low carb/high fat diets but it is not an easy diet by any means.

Tina

I never said it targets muscle tissue I said that it eats up your lean tissue as well as your fat stores a lot more than something like CD will. The end result will be that he will end up losing the weigh he wants quite quickly but he will have a higher body fat % than someone of equal size, weight etc (if you see what I mean) that lost the weight on a VLCD as it is more nutitionally balanced.

KM, lean tissue IS muscle tissue. What you are saying is simply incorrect. Ketosis is a metabolic pathway and its effects on the body are the same regardless of how you induce the state. There are many myths about many diets but we need to stick to facts. People following a certain type of diet which works for them tend to become very evangelical about it but that does not mean that we should criticise other diets and call them unsafe without being in full possession of all the facts before posting.

Tina

You're reading it all wrong again I never said it burns JUST muscle i said it burns more muscle than a VLCD would as it is not as nutritionally balanced. I am not evangelical about CD at all and good on anyone that manages to lose the weight in whatever way suits them (I've previously lost a fair bit with WW and SW myself).
Atkins diet is very high fat and protein based and it has more dangers than just the one I stated. Here is what I found Atkins Dieticians themselves has to say about it's possible side affects:
When it comes to long-term side effects, many health professionals are concerned that the Atkins diet may have serious dangers. While the high intake of fat, particularly saturates, may increase the risk of heart disease, there are also concerns that the unbalanced nature of the Atkins diet may lead to nutritional deficiencies, which cause health problems in later life. For example, poor intakes of bone-building calcium (found in dairy products) may increase the risk of osteoporosis, while poor intakes of antioxidant nutrients (found in fruit and veg) have been linked with a host of health problems ranging from heart disease and cancer to premature ageing and cataracts. Some experts are also worried that high intakes of protein may cause kidney problems or weaken bones.

What this basically says is they don't know the extent of any long term health effects from this diet. No offence but I wouldn't like to play russian roulette with my future health like that, I'm no ones lab rat!

You're doing great Sarah :D:D:D

Ladies

I did not want to get into a debate about this, all I wanted to do was express my feelings.

My hubby has read all about the side effects and it was his descision at the age of 31 to go ahead and try this diet as it was my decision at 25 to go with cambridge.

I was merley expressing how frustrated I felt that he was still eating, but in ketosis.

I am sorry for starting the debate but lets leave it as everyone has theor own thoughts and lets agree to disagree shall we?? Please......

i have to say that i have followed low carb diets and have eaten more veg and vitamin enriched foods on them than i do when i'm restricting calories. i haven't done atkins, so i can't comment on that. but from my experience, and the experiences of those i know who have done it, including professional athletes, and after talking to my doc about it, muscle tissue isn't burned of any more than in any other diet. you do tend to reach the size you want to at a heavier weight though. a lot of the 'research' that is bandied about in the press is anti-atkins. and i can't condone it. some people do mistreat the diet, don't eat any vegetables, live off cheese etc, and of course they'll be unhealthy, but i've never felt as healthy as i did when i was low carbing. my skin was better, i had tons of energy. however i did find it much easier to fall off the wagon. and generally you will lose more on a vlcd. this so far hasn't been the case with me, but i'm hoping my body will catch up soon :)

abz xx

Great post Abz - I too felt great when low carbing. I lost weight and my skin, eyes and hair were in great condition.......... much better than when I tried WW or any other low fat diet (but that works better for my sis!). Like VLCDs there is a lot of misinformation out there and I think we all need to find what works for us - everyone is different!! I'm on CD now cos I want to lose weight quickly but but will be going back to low carbing in the future..........
Good luck - whichever way you go, the weight is sure to come off!! :D:D

Great post Abz - I too felt great when low carbing. I lost weight and my skin, eyes and hair were in great condition.......... much better than when I tried WW or any other low fat diet (but that works better for my sis!). Like VLCDs there is a lot of misinformation out there and I think we all need to find what works for us - everyone is different!! I'm on CD now cos I want to lose weight quickly but but will be going back to low carbing in the future..........
Good luck - whichever way you go, the weight is sure to come off!! :D:D

best of luck with cd azlan :)

I got that quote from an actual Atkins dietician website (someone who works for Atkins!) so there wouldn't be any misinformation involved. I hear from so many people about how bad a VLCD is for you when they don't really know the facts and I wanted to make sure that I didn't do the same about Atkins.
Every diet has it's pros and cons and this was the cons list they provided. I personally found it rather informative but also very scary!

Back