Mission to lose 5st (10/70 lbs and counting)

I've got to stop making these 'promises'. I'm just embarrassing myself now!

Good news is that I am now 0.4 lbs below my weight on Saturday, I haven't gone below 1500 kcals again but I'm losing weight - even if it is slowly! Today was less good that the previous two but hey ho - that's why CC is so the right plan for me!

Just had my last Pilates class until after Easter - next one is in 4 weeks! I'll have to make sure that I get into 'Pilates Anytime'.

I feel a LOT better about work now. Looking back it is hard to fathom why I was so annoyed. It isn't going to change it so I will have to work on embracing it - will save a lot of moaning time if nothing else.

So close to the Easter holidays now! That's probably the most sensible time to make a serious attempt at changing a few things :D

Your self-imposed internet ban lasted about as long as mine would, ie. not very long!:p:D

Well done on keeping the cals under control - not easy when you're having a stress-y time at work (glad you've come to terms with that, by the way). As long as you're consistently under maintenance calories the weight will go, and if it takes a little longer, then it does: you'll still get there.

Are you doing anything nice for Easter? Is that the New York trip, or am I getting confused (more than likely:p)?

Your self-imposed internet ban lasted about as long as mine would, ie. not very long!:p:D

Well done on keeping the cals under control - not easy when you're having a stress-y time at work (glad you've come to terms with that, by the way). As long as you're consistently under maintenance calories the weight will go, and if it takes a little longer, then it does: you'll still get there.

Are you doing anything nice for Easter? Is that the New York trip, or am I getting confused (more than likely:p)?

:D Yeah, I really struggle with the internet thing! I've managed it for a few weeks before in the past and it does make a difference but...well! I usually only go on the internet at home though - I've not got into checking FB on my phone or anything like that. I've got a TV on my desk next to my monitor - right now watching 'Come dine with me' at the same time.

I've got another, 2 night, D of E trip the first weekend (which are usually a lot of fun - depends on the staff going, but it is a good bunch :)), the second weekend we are in the camper again (down at my husband's boss's sailing club - apparently will have great views and a lot going on that weekend). Nothing planned for the rest - getting on top of things...trying to adopt some new habits ;). New York is at Half term (end of May).

Thanks for your encouragement! :)

Yet again I have no idea what anyone is going to have for dinner :sigh:. I was full of hope that days like this would be over once I finally got the long awaited new kitchen. I suspect I will have a 'love life' ready meal (once I have bought it!).

DH and DS are at a football match on Saturday, so I pretty much have the day to myself. Think I will need to get cooking again.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a few good things planned - don't think you will keep under your cals in New York.:)

Went down by 0.8 lbs this morning - so happy! It takes me past another 'mini' goal (1st) and into the 13st something bracket.

I am also enjoying seeing the 'If every day were like today... You'd weigh 187.4 lbs in 5 weeks' at the end of the day on MFP - a few more calories on top makes that number still in the 190s. I've been in the 190s+ for way too long now - so that really feels like a big step in the right direction.

Today I am having lunch out with a friend...I'll do my best!

Last edited:
Lovely, lovely lunch with friend today :)

I've had to guess the Kcals - it was at a deli type café - I had a smoky bacon frittata, houmous, broad bean salad and pickled red cabbage salad. Just using searches on MFP - I've got it as 562 kcals. That will have to do.

Friend uses MFP too (to maintain weight though) - her maintenance Calories are 1800 (she is very slim and not that tall - size 8) and with the exercise she does to maintain she needs 2150/day. During the week she does not eat treats or anything like that, as a matter of habit really, and comes in well below maintenance but at the weekend can eat up to 4000 (I think that is an extreme example but way over maintenance anyway)! It is interesting how these slim people do it!

On the topic of other people - some people just bring out a bit of healthy competition in you (because you don't think they are entirely happy about you losing weight...)

Last edited:
Ooh I like the fighting talk!

I hate when people can be like that .... There is someone in my life who will remain nameless who has always been the thinner of the two of us. .. when I reached a size 14 she started encouraging me to stay at that weight and as I've continued to shrink has been telling me it's too much. ...no one else has!

I'm pretty sure a part of her is worried that she will become the bigger of the two of us. .... she has started on a major health kick. ...cutting out alcohol, strict eating, upping exercise recently. .... what she fails to realise is that I am not competing with her. .... she is a size 8 and I will never be that small nor would I want to be. .... although there is a really tiny part of me thinks I should do it just to wind her up! !!!!!

Yes, odd people!

I'm glad it is Saturday (WI day) tomorrow - it is keeping me good after my lunch out (I hope)! I would like to keep my weight loss as of today... If I don't then fine, but I don't want it to be for lack of trying!

Really need to get on top of things tomorrow - DS and DH will be out 12 pm until 7 pm and I plan to get cooking, as I've taken to the calorie controlled ready meal again...

If you watch thin people eat they don't really eat that much and eat slowly - both my thin friends have always done this. When we have a meal at one friends house she will zoom about all the time bringing food to the table then taking small portions for herself and I have usually finished mine well before her. Her hubby is tubby and he eats very quickly and lots of it, I often wonder how they manage to eat together all the time - she probably hopes he will have filled the dish washer before she has finished eating.:)

I also had a friend who was the same size as me at my heaviest and when I decided I would do something about she didn't think it would happen but it did and all the time she kept saying - you have lost enough now and I was still about 13 stone and as I got small smaller she backed away from me and our friendship kind of disappeared along with my weight. Sadly she has since died of throat cancer and her husband told me later that she really could not cope with my weight loss as she was finding it difficult to do the same and did not like to see me getting smaller. Very sad as I missed her friendship.

That's so sad about your friend dying young (I presume) like that :( How revealing to find out that your suspicions were true about her feelings towards your weight loss.

I will be interested to see who falls into this category for me, when I have lost my weight. Most people I know well locally have only known me for 7 to 11 years, and almost all of that time I have been overweight so they will be seeing me slim for the first time really. I've already decided that those who tell me I have lost enough will be told I agree and I am just maintaining now (whether I am or not!).

Got quite a way to travel before I am in the healthy BMI range though (3 st to be precise, and 11.2 lbs just to get out of obesity) and will have people seeing me at a healthy weight let alone my ideal/target weight so that will be one for the future!

Official WI day today and I am down 1.4 lbs. Very pleased about that considering the week I have had (high average kcals/guessing kcals in two meals and one day where I just gave up recording (I called that maintenance)). Don't think I can get expect to have weeks like that and lose that kind of weight though so glad it is a fresh new week. Hopefully, I can have a really good week and pull 2+ lbs and at the very least move into the next 5 lb bracket and add some more goal line to my graph. :)

Last edited:
Well done on the great loss. :0clapper::0clapper::0clapper: a great week and the rest will follow.

My friends was in her late forties when she died, quite suddenly without much illness thankfully.

Another little story - we have always travelled to the sun in Winter then back home so sometimes 6 or 7 months before we go back again. When we were in India the small girl behind the counter of our local shop would say to me - are all Aunties in your country like you, meaning my size and I would just smile and shrug it off (she probably nearer to 25 than a girl but very very tiny). I had been losing weight in the Winter whilst I was there but not a great deal but come March and we were back home I lost the bulk of it. When we got back to India we went in the shop and the girl said to my husband - where is your wife - he pointed at me and she said - No not her where is the fat one, she always brings me good chocolates when she comes here. We just burst out laughing and I took the chocolate from my bag and gave it to her and look on her face was priceless. Tell it like it is. :)

Great story Systema! LOl!

I've just changed my MFP target calories from Maintenance (2150 kcals) to losing 1.5 lbs/week - comes out at 1450 kcals (I've said I am lightly active). I'll see how I go with that, but I think I'm in the swing of things enough not to throw the towel in and declare it a ruined diet if I go over that! It is probably more useful to see how many calories I have left if I want to hit my target weight loss rather than not gain...we'll see! I think that 1450 kcals is a good target for me - any lower and I'm not so sure (on a daily basis). Also, I'm not convinced I would be that content, at the moment, with an average loss of 1 lb/wk.

Last edited:
Yet another high kcals (but still into weightloss) day yesterday :sigh:. I had more than usual during the day but clawed that back with a lovely Aubergine bake for dinner (less kcals than normal diner). It was the wine - and the subsequent slight loss of resolve! I think, normally, that would fine for a Saturday but probably not after my already high week.

Still down on the scales a little this morning though (0.2 lbs - LOL!).

I'll make a more serious attempt at sub 1450 today :p

We're going for a walk this afternoon (National Trust place so will be extra enjoyable)! It won't be fast as DH has an issue with his knee and ankle but it is at least some exercise. Here's hoping that my foot behaves!

Think we will be becoming more active as a family as we are concerned that DS is putting on weight since he stopped competitive swimming, amongst other things!

I've decided that I need to do a six month/1 year/ 5 yr plan too...

Walking is great. ...I try to get my daughter out at the weekends too as her dad feeds her junk food. .... on the Saturdays that she's with me we walk to the library and back which is just over 2 miles and on a Sunday we walk to Sunday club which is another mile. ... I'm trying to get her to do more but I'm pleased with that for starters. ....when the summer comes we'll get walking even more

Walking is great. ...I try to get my daughter out at the weekends too as her dad feeds her junk food. .... on the Saturdays that she's with me we walk to the library and back which is just over 2 miles and on a Sunday we walk to Sunday club which is another mile. ... I'm trying to get her to do more but I'm pleased with that for starters. ....when the summer comes we'll get walking even more 

Great habit to adopt - it is so easy just to hop in the car these days!

We all had a fantastic afternoon :D Think we walked 2-2.5 miles (foot is ok). We took along a friend for DS which makes it all about 10x easier and more enjoyable for everyone! On that note, we decided that we will give center parcs a go for DS's birthday (July) and take along a friend too (we live very close to one). Definitely more walking at the weekends for us anyway (and during the week if we can)!

I really should try to do some kind of exercise everyday now - so I've decided to add it on to MFP. Not convinced about the accuracy of the values but that doesn't really matter.

I may be able to add and extra :D onto my goal progress tomorrow, and delete a :( , if I can get 0.2 lbs off...

Time to get on with the 1 yr/ 5 yr plan - new tab on the spread sheet I think :D

I tend to work on using no more than half of the calories that mfp gives me for exercise just to be on the safe side x

Ooooh - really hope you get to swap another :( for a :D tomorrow!

Have to say that on the rare occasions I am moved to do exercise I don't eat back the calories suggested by any of the various online calculators because I don't believe a word of it, lol! Anyone whose weight has yo-yo'ed up and down to the extent that mine has over the years won't burn as much as a "normal" person of the same weight/age/gender, so I just eat the same as usual and consider the exercise as a bonus deficit (unless I'm feeling rebellious for some reason, then I'll have earned some chocolate:cool:;))

I use MFP and also ignore the extra cals they give you and make up my own mind about what extras I will have. Was reading on MFP pages yesterday where they had given someone 1200 extra cals for 4 hours gardening and was asking what she should do about it as she was tempted to eat some of them and everyone told her to hold off having too many.
:cross: for later today.

Back