Mixing SW and slimfast

Don't get me wrong guys, I appreciate all suggestions and everyone who's taken the time to post, it's just a bit hurtful to be told I need to let my daughter cry and that I'm making a rod for my own back, as if I'm parenting wrong or I don't know what I'm doing x

Only you know how to parent your child. Every child is different. Just try somewhere along the day to get some time for yourself if you feel good it will help you to give your attention and patience to your child that's what I have learnt. Good luck on your sw and parenting journey!

Thanks for your post though, I was beginning to think I was a rubbish mum :p she's so little at the moment that she has to come first. I'm not saying that I don't want to look after myself, I'm just trying to find the most convenient way to do it.

Wow I really hope that's not how it all came across. I just think with so many of us having been there we really felt your pain and know that with time it DOES get easier. Do whatever you feel is best for you, but that includes eating the best you can in the circumstances. From your original post I think we all had visions of you being unable to put her down at all! I know I did. If you go with the slim fast then fair enough at the find of the day the syns are there for exactly that, choice and flexibility. Over time it will change and in my experience that can happen overnight!! I had a friend who's first daughter was just like yours and she went to pieces one day when trying to eat a jacket potato!!!

Don't get me wrong guys, I appreciate all suggestions and everyone who's taken the time to post, it's just a bit hurtful to be told I need to let my daughter cry and that I'm making a rod for my own back, as if I'm parenting wrong or I don't know what I'm doing x

Oh I feel awful I Never meant to be hurtful. I apologise. I really was only trying to help

Last edited:
I can't see the problem with this as long as your synning the shake and the milk is a healthy a then it shouldn't interfere x

I agree, just use it within your syns.

My LO wanted to be held a lot at that age too and thankfully it does get easier as they get older! I would set up a little stash of provisions on the sofa next to where I sat with LO, so would have stuff like fruit, cereal bars, crisps and a big bottle of water.

My son was always a good baby like you say yours was but he too was a bit clingy in the morning so I completely understand. I also wouldn't eat breakfast but now it's alot easier as he tends to eat at the same time, but hes 13 month, a long way from the 3 month old bundle you have.
I have done Slimfast before and although I stopped because I was constantly starving, they are full of protein etc so atleast it's kick starting your morning, Measure your milk, syn what you have to and do this journey your way.
The girls were just trying to help but I know when you have a young baby you can feel extra sensitive as I certainly was, good luck.

Will your daughter not perch on your lap while you eat some breakfast? I only say this cos I'm a nanny to 3 month old twins and I regularly eat my meals (cold meals obv) with one or the other of them on my knee if they really won't settle. Does take some practice but it means they aren't left to scream and we still get to eat x

Thanks for the suggestions. I know this sounds nuts but I need something I can eat with one hand so can't be anything in a bowl lol.

Sounds like you need to make more time for yourself hun if you want to lose weight. Make a syn free smoothie using a Mullerlight yogurt and HEA of milk. Its lovely. xxx

Last edited:
Muller yogurt and pre chopped fruit in a heavy bowl? I could eat that one handed. I had a demanding first born, but looking after yourself is being a good Mum :) don't feel guilty for needing to eat sweetie xx

I love slim fast i calorie count now but still have slim fast shake at work when i cant eat u till my break! it does fill you up just make sure you follow it with a big glass of water.
Bananas my fav x

If you are happy to use Syns on Slimfast and you are losing weight by having it, then that's fine.

However, if you want to save those Syns, then consider buying a lidded bowl with a suction base - you'll probably want one when you start weaning, anyway - and measure a HExB of cereal into it the previous night so all you have to do is add some milk in the morning. (Obviously, you could put something like fruit and yogurt in it for something different). You can then suction stick it to the table so that you can eat one handed whilst cuddling your baby.

However, if you want to save those Syns, then consider buying a lidded bowl with a suction base - you'll probably want one when you start weaning, anyway - and measure a HExB of cereal into it the previous night so all you have to do is add some milk in the morning. (Obviously, you could put something like fruit and yogurt in it for something different). You can then suction stick it to the table so that you can eat one handed whilst cuddling your baby.

Excellent idea!

My son is 15 months old and I can safely say I could get more done when he was a baby. It doesn't necessarily get easier. for me it was opposite. I've just learnt that a) it's amazing what you can accomplish with 1 hand and b) patience is a virtue. I do tend to make things in bulk and always eat when he eats. You will find a way, that's what mums are programmed to do. :) good luck!! Xxx

Hi, just thought if offer a few tips being a full time working mum to a 1 year old...

For breakfast I have 2 hi go bars (he b)
And a large bunch of grapes washed down with water

For lunch and dinner I have meals pre cooked on a sat or Sunday when my little boy is with his dad or napping...everything I make such as lasagne, bolognese, soups, hotpot, stew and curry all goes in the freezer ready for the next week!
It's an absolute god send I've had so much more time for myself & my little boy ever since I started this regime..

All recipes are from magazine or the family feasts on a budget cook book

It's up to you what you want to eat and how you want to care for your baby I just thought my input would be of some help :)
Good luck with your journey x

have the slim fast if you want to but id save the syns and have 1 hand friendly breakfasts like fruit, hifi/hifilight alpen bars etc.

Back