Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

read your article, interesting indeed!

been doing a lot of reading myself this week, mainly about the reasons we get fat in the first place, and hunger, and overeating......seems like we...as in the public...have been having the wool pulled over our eyes for a long time!

Morning ML, crispy duck sounds amazing especially with mayo!

Interesting how you remembered your journey being slower that it actually was. I think we all do that.

What flavors of davinci syrups did you get? I have english toffee and I love it. :)

Great posting ML - and well done on steering clear of the polyol stuff - what sweetens the Da Vinci syrups?

I'm waiting for LCM to get the raspberry one back in mmmm :)

Davinci are sweetened with liquid splenda, which doesn't usually give me a problem, and contain no bad guys that I can see. They more or less seem to be an industrial version of the diluted tablets&flavouring I already use.

He's a superhero from the iron man and avengers films, Scrumbles, played by Robert Downey Jr. I came across this stat sheet a while ago and was distraught:

View attachment 52883

So it's been my mission to get lighter than him (or take up crimefighting).

Ah, right...gotcha.

Well done on accomplishing your mission! Now I weigh less than my OH (he's 190) perhaps I should target this chappy instead.

Coming to get ya, iron man...:D

Very interesting article ML. Thanks for that. It's really disturbing to think how our health is on the bottom of everyone's list.

I'll be steering clear of the sugar free sweets no matter how tempting they can be.

Have a great day.

There's only one item at the top of those companies lists and that's profit. It's going to get ever harder to avoid some of these food additives that do more harm than good.

In other news:

I refuse to go down to my size 16 jeans until I'm in the 12s but my 18s are trying to fall off me.

(Evans size 16 of course, anywhere else I'll be 18 still).

Food:

2 Eggs scrambled with
100g tomato and basil sauce
20g cheddar
Spring onion

Couple of bites of burger
30g Edam
2 slices Parma ham

Venison steak with
25g button mushrooms and
Zero noodles with a little
Butter
Cheese
Soy sauce

Banana flavoured alpro gluc

20g carbs Inc meds

No pictures. Eggs and tomatoes were lovely but no one wants to look at red scrambled eggs. Was just using up the last of the jar - have decided to limit myself to 1 jar per week (approx. 7.5g carbs spread over 2/3 meals) - because I adore tomato sauces and could too easily go overboard.

ladyfelsham said:
Food sounds lovely - never had venison before, what's it like?

Venison is really nice. I've had it before but bought a few steaks recently after those bad reactions I had to beef steak. It costs exactly the same as my fillet steak (I know I sound all posh but I have trouble eating fatty meat so I only go for lean). You cook it the same way, in a pan, in butter, but for about twice as long, and it needs to be eaten rare.

It's supermarket venison so it doesn't taste particularly gamey. In fact a little less rich than the beef, I'd say.

They sell loads of it in marks and sparks right now. Venison burgers, even.

Cheesecake cupcakes!

They came out perfectly this time. Got the proportions right and they taste just like little mini baked cheesecakes. Very rich.

200g soft cheese
(I used marks and sparks full fat soft cheese)
1 medium egg
candarel tablets dissolved in a tbsp hot water
(adjust sweetness to taste)
Vanilla essence

If you need to, soften the cream cheese in the microwave for 15 secs.

Beat together the cream cheese, egg, vanilla and (cooled) sweetened water. You should get quite a thick batter.

Spoon into cupcake cases (I used silicone - they might be hard to get out of paper)

Cook in a waterbath for 15-20 mins - for me it was in a fan oven at 180.

They won't brown on top although they might get little brown patches. You'll know they're done when they're quite firm and you can insert a knife cleanly.

Turn oven off but leave the cupcakes in for a few more mins to cool slowly - keep checking them.

Best eaten after a couple of hours (or more) in the fridge.

You can switch up the flavoring - I think I may use lemon next time.

image-4289539778.jpg

image-2588930373.jpg

I think I'll make a thread in the recipe section at some point to keep all these together.

Thanks for the recipe ML! I was waiting patiently ;)

They look really soft and spongy. I vision lemon cream frosting..

Any eggy aftertaste?

I'm baking these on Tuesday morning. Do you think a non-stick metal muffin tray will work?

Sorry for all the questions.

I'm so excited about these!

Absolutely no eggy aftertaste - I used 50g more cream cheese and less egg than in the original recipe and honestly it tastes just like cheesecake.

Not completely sure about the metal containers - grease them first and I expect you can cook them without a waterbath but if you can get your tray in one then I think it helps them not lift too much and then collapse. I just had my little plastic cases floating in water. You'd need to let them cool completely before removing from the tray - they're delicate when hot but firm up when they cool.

Food today:

3 cheesecake cupcakes

Roast chicken
Spring onions
Courgette
Asparagus
Spoonful cauli cheese

Almond bread dairylea sandwich

32g carbs Inc meds

Yes, almond bread. Quicker and easier that gluc bread, though more carbs, but just as firm and tastes totally 'bready' to me - I think this will be my go-to bread now. Not suitable for induction unless you're including nuts though.

No recipe as I'm tired and it was just a random experiment - it's pretty much a MiM made with almond flour - but I'll write one up next time I make it.

image-2699374102.jpg

Almond flour, another amazing discovery in the baking world! Love the taste and the texture. It will feature well in my gluten free lifestyle when I’m finally off induction. A celiac sufferer’s best friend I hear.

Your bread baking and cooking in general is really impressive ML, everything you’ve made so far has left me inspired.

I find that most successful endeavours in the kitchen really add to my overall wellbeing. I like to cook and it’s something that I am good at. No one can take that away from me. (Apologies, I get a bit theatrical in the early hours after these long shifts)

I am really craving for some cheesy toast, but I don’t have any glucomannan powder, I do have some Xanthan gum laying around somewhere. I wonder if that will work as a binder for bread...

Take care x

ML they look great,and they sound even better.
oopsies this week i think. :D

Back