Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

Evening ML... I think you could play things both ways on the eating front ... As a change in menus seems to be a positive so flipping from non Atkins to Atkins might actually be ok... Says the one who is floundering like a nutter on this woe at the moment! Lol xx

I just don't think bouncing between high and low carb 3 times in 3 weeks will be healthy for me. I've done it this week as I didn't want to take 3 weeks off plan and I have Sunday - Thursday to eat in plan which is at least time to get into ketosis for a couple of days. I feel like then taking 3 days off, then going back on the plan for 5 days, then a week off, then back on will just cause problems especially as I may have to go though Atkins flu, or carb withdrawl cravings or what have you. I didn't this time but I only took 1 afternoon off plan. 3 days might make it a different story. I also think that by doing it 3 times I may lose any metabolic advantage there is in taking a diet break.

As I say, shouldn't really have gone back on plan for these few days but I didn't want to take 3 days off plan and had to be off plan on Sat (complicated reasons that boil down to wanting to look normal and not-on-a-diet).

The worst possible diet in the world is mixing Atkins with high carb - which IMO is a danger for anyone who starts slipping on Atkins because if you have a 'mostly good' day on Atkins (aka high fat) but a carby meal 'slips in' then having been good on Atkins actually becomes a bad thing as the body burns the carbs so all the fat you've eaten doesn't get burned and is absorbed as just that - fat. I see new atkinsers doing that a lot - being frustrated because theyve been 'mostly' good when thats the worst thing to be. Either be Good or be bad! It's the reason I much prefer taking a solid diet break than just a few days on and a few days off. Atkins isn't designed that way.

How are you floundering, Di? Looks like you're doing well to me. Do you still feel like you're really struggling? You've done so well and I don't think you've had a proper stall at any point, just a frustrating slow down for a while. All I can say is it's thinking I was losing too slow and trying radical changes, fasts, restriction etc - anything that made the diet too hard - that has always always been the reason I've ended up falling off the wagon and eventually regaining before coming back to it. I look back now and realize I was an idiot - there was still a downward trend and while it may have been slower than I liked, if I hadn't messed with it I would be at target several times over by now.

It is so so hard not to tweak things sometimes though and sometimes little tweaks really do work wonders. Why must dieting be so vague.

-moonlights rambling again

Food:

Almond fairycakes

2 slices bacon
Mushrooms
2 eggs
Tomato

Cauliflower
Spreadable cheese

Mug of alpro

Mfp: 31g carbs

You make such good sense ML! I flounder because I haven't truly grasped it to the degree I see you and others do... I am only slowly getting under the skin of the woe and the way my body works... I'm an expert in blanking out - hence the whale of a size I had become...

Yes of course I now see why upping carbs while having fats and thinking you're partly on Atkins is dangerous but I never thought of that til you just mentioned it...

And yes I've done well... Far better than I ever thought possible ... Xxx

Di, there is no way you've lost 7 stone without fully grasping it. I do wish you wouldn't put yourself down - I do the same thing to myself so I recognize it but you should be over the moon with what you have achieved. Over the last 6 years I've dieted, lost, regained, lost, fallen off the wagon, regained, redieted etc etc. The dedication you have shown to stay on track and keep losing is absolutely incredible, and you're still losing. It's bound to be slower now but the trend is still downwards. Dieting never seems to stop feeling like a tough uphill struggle even when you're more than half way through, but I bet looking down from the top the journey won't seem half as long as it felt on the way. Please stop kicking yourself. I don't believe you're a bad or flawed person simply because you were overweight. Don't feed that image of yourself. You're not lazy, stupid or greedy. What you are is an incredibly disciplined successful dieter. Very very very few people could achieve what you have. Be proud and fight on.

You are a gorgeous human being ML!! Thank you for kicking me up the backside so kindly! I hope you managed to sleep last night? I was also up for a different reason and it's not fun having to get up on little or no sleep. xx

Hear hear ML - Di you are fab:)

ML think your idea to be consistent but controlled much better than extremes either way (deprivation or carb stuffing) - hopefully let's you live rather than worry too:)

Morning ML, Bath is one of my favorite places. Had a short break there years ago with a friend when we were over and visiting London. It's amazing and beautiful. Could move there quite happily.

I had an interesting diet experience last time I was in the US, not planned just messed up. One day Atkins, the next day a complete carb pig out and then the next day oh no! must get back to Atkins then the next day ice creams the size of my head, the Chinese buffet with wild abandon etc. for 2 weeks it went on. I came back having gained only 2lbs? Didn't bother to analyze it at the time just happy it was only 2lbs, but now I wonder what happened there? There was a heat wave going on at the time and I did sweat tons just sitting still, so maybe that had something to do with it?

Afternoon - day trips sound like a great idea - do a bit of stately home visiting, if that rocks your boat?

And Very Well Done on the excellent post about Di and how fab she is! xxx

Afternoon ML... hope you're feeling good this afternoon xx

Halloo everyone.

Did get some sleep - although not last night - at about 6am this morning! I had two Friday deadlines but yesterday one was moved to next Tuesday - so of course that's the one I got finished this morning and now I need to buck up and get the one for Friday done. Meanwhile my head is more interested in dwelling on a long term project... The brain works in mysterious ways.

Food

Salmon, pea and watercress crustless quiche

Pork ribs with 1 carb ketchup

Parma ham
Soft cheese
Spring onion

Mug of alpro

Mfp: 24g carbs

Hi ML. Glad you have released yourself from the Cornwall situation stress. Whatever makes you happy is the key.

So much to do in England any day so you will find what suits you. Plenty of stately homes and castles our way to visit. And hopefully this weather will change to a proper summer soon. I know that the railways offer deals on entry to loads of attractions if you use a national rail ticket.

Good luck with the brain storming on your projects. Nothing beats having something to focus on. I focus on all the gorgeous spontaneous holidays I can now have once I have my British passport. Hehe. I think the only reason I work is to be able to go on holidays... Drives my OH insane.

2 hrs sleep last night and some miserable medical things to deal with this morning and I've just eaten a marshmallow. Technically that's the first 'unplanned' cheat in 3 months on this diet.

Oh well. Am counting what I weigh today as this weeks weigh in, and it is as expected a STS. Managed to gain 7lbs after my afternoon off on Sat (insane) so didn't expect to get rid of any extra but am glad I got rid of all of that, especially as TOTM is just starting.

So. I am 12st 7lbs. I would like to be back here by 17th August if possible. Then I want to be solidly on plan at least until I make my current goal weight of 11st 9lb.

I really need to snap out of this misery at some point. It's gone on so long now and it's rare I stay quite this dark for quite this long. Usually I can maintain a certain mid level numbness. Maybe when the dread birthday is past it will lift.

i think it's my age,i seem to have more down days than ups,and i don't ,mean diet.

Wish I was 12.7!! You're doing brilliantly ML!!! Hugs to your dark days - hope they get lighter soon! Xxx

Just got some good news about one of my scripts, so that's made at least today feel a little better. :)

Well done ML!! You SO deserve some good news! Xx

5:45am

45 mins sleep so far. Did finish what I needed to for today's deadline and sent it off though. No more big deadlines for a while, just waiting to hear on things.

Heard my grandmother was sick last night so hopefully visiting her this morning.

Oh no ML! That's a miserable amount of sleep! Hugs

Hope your grandmother isn't too unwell! Xx

Back