Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

Frustratingly mfp doesn't tell me how much my calorie average is on a weekly basis, just how many calories I am under 'goal'. I set my goal at 1700 calories just so it doesn't bug me too much, and I might go over that once or twice a week. Some weeks I won't go over it at all but will be around 1500-1600 per day.

However I have tended to be around 1800- 2000 calories under goal every week that I've looked at, which would be... An average of between 1400 and 1500 calories daily. It hasn't decreased at all that I can see, bar right at the start and about two weeks near the middle where my appetite had gone and I didn't eat much.

I will say that in my menus I almost always plan to eat around 1500-1600 calories. Whether it comes out higher or lower is down to adjustments made on the day where I'll skip or add a food depending on appetite.

I never just wing it unless I'm going out somewhere - my full days intake is usually planned a few days to a week in advance. I've never done this before and it's probably the most useful thing I've done this time around. I can change things on the day if I don't fancy something or want more or less but a basic structure is invaluable.

Last edited:
That sounds like a good plan I tend to wing it on the day, put food into mfp and then look at f/c/p and adjust as necessary, I think a bit more planning is called for...

That's interesting. I'm averaging less than you - 1350-1450 mostly - but I'm eating more than I was when I was considerably heavier back in March and losing at pretty much the same rate :confused:

I absolutely agree about the planning. I usually do it in detail only a day in advance, and I will change things on the fly if needs be or if I feel like it, but I definitely like to have some idea of how my eating will pan out over the week ahead, and I always know what my daily targets will be for that week.

My mum thinks I'm overly-controlling - and she may be right :p - but it seems to be what I have to do to get results, and she certainly isn't quibbling with those!

I don't actually know if I'm eating more or less than when I was at my heaviest - this is the first time I've done Atkins while tracking food other than carbs at all.

Have to say I have had three really hungry days in a row now though - I mean just starved all day even when I could feel my stomach was totally full. Just realized my period is due shortly - this always seems to happen just before. As long as I'm eating Atkins friendly things I know I'll still lose eventually but not sure how it bodes for tomorrows weigh in.

Am watching Nigel Slater cook pork with blackberries - looks a bit scary!

Think I may have conquered the hungry beast for now... Famous last words.

Foods today:

Beef brisket with spring onion and asparagus

Smoked salmon strips with cream cheese

Almond mim with cream

Plus infinite cups of tea!

Mfp: 27g carbs inc meds

moonlights said:
Am watching Nigel Slater cook pork with blackberries - looks a bit scary!

Noo, I think that sounds great! Think of turkey with cranberry sauce, yum! You should try it ML :)

I found your recipe thread in the Atkins section, Woop Woop! :D I wasn't sure what you meant by index originally.

B xx

Yuck pork is dinner blackberries is puddin.... I am a bit funny like that dont like lemon in my chicken, orange in my duck the only fruit i can have is a little apple sauce with roast pork but not cooked in it. I like my meat to taste of meat!

Morning can't imagine cooking pork with blackberries, I think the colour of the pork would be off putting, but quite like the idea of eating them with pork.....

ahem.

Ahem.

Well.

I'm just going to copy out my newly updated sidebar.

Start weight: 14st 8lb
Current weight: 11st 9lb
Goal weight: 11st 9lb

Start BMI:37.3
Current BMI: 29.8
Goal BMI: 29.8

Total Weight Loss: 2st 13lb

and now i will pretend I'm on a football show and run around going GOOOOOAAAAAAALLLL.

I'm not obese! For the first time in my adult life I am not clinically obese. I have been cinically obese since I was 14 or 15.

I'm not obese!

I've also previously been a higher weight than my starting point this go around, it's taken me years and years to get here from that starting point.

And yes, it's not really my goal (though I'm going to leave it up there so I can be at goal for a whole week and then drop it to about 9st 10lb next friday - so I'll have another 2 stone to lose to reach healthy weight) but, I'll be completely honest here, when I put that goal into the sidebar when I started the diet I never never never thought I'd get there. It's been so long trying. I do want to lose more but being right where I am means an awful lot.

So *pulls shirt over head and runs in circles* GOOOOOOAAAAAL.

(totes didn't think I'd make it this week, I was sure i'd be 11st 10. Hurray!)

Yaaaaaaaaay Yaaaaaaaaay!!!!! Wow, I can't imagine how that feels. To be there, to actually be at the goal you wrote down, that is such a fantastic achievement! I am so excited for you that my exclamation marks are going wild!!!! All those years that we've all sat there at slimming clubs listening to people saying they're at goal, and secretly thinking "that will never be me", and it is you, for this week, it's you!

I am running around my kitchen and clapping you, big ((hugs)) you are a total inspiration, that is such an achievement. My sister was a size 32 last Feb and is now a 24, but she is loosing heart and doesn't think she will ever be a normal weight, but you show it can be done. I am so pleased for you.

Aww thanks guys. Still going to be a way to go to goal two but maybe I'll do that one too!

Sammy I used to be a size 30. I'm not going to say its been easy, it has taken me years and years and years, probably 10 different diets - though low carb is the one I've always come back to and the one in which I've lost the most weight which stayed off.

I lost the most in one go on a vlcd but also regained -all- that weight faster than any other regain ever. I never reached target so never did a refeed and I think the months of total self denial meant I went totally crazy when I dropped the plan. What a waste.

Low carb weight I have never regained as badly from even when I've totally dropped the plan. Probably because, on plan, I get to eat lunches like the one I just had:

image-3078910320.jpg

Fried oopsie bread, egg, and pancetta. Diet food??

I really hope that this time I'll eventually find a comfy 80/20 medium when I do hit a final goal. Probably along the low carb paleo lines. And for once I think I can really see it happening.

I should also say that this go around on Atkins has been the easiest and most successful ever and that would not have been the case without minimins and everyone here. This place is a lifesaver.

WOOHOOOOOO Ml that is so fabulous!!!! I feel the need to shake something out of happiness......

:banana dancer::banana dancer::banana dancer:

You have done so brilliantly, despite all the med obstacles, really proud of you! xxx

Three stone, my god!! Moonlight that's BRILLIANT! You are vanishing before our eyes! Well done seriously, on losing the weight and on discovering what so many people are struggling to find these days..a liveable way to watch the scales go down and down! I agree with the above, you are an inspiration to us all :)

*cartwheels and shakes pom poms* Yaaaay!

LadyB xx

diembroadhurst said:
The thing I really appreciate about you is your capacity to share in a non judgemental way your knowledge to support others on their journey and you may well be the person who helps someone else 'make it' against the odds. Whatever happens from here on in - you know that you set your sights high and achieved what you set out to do - noone can ever take that away from you.

I'm so glad because I always worry I sound like I'm lecturing or being a busybody. The thing is I've done low carb before and have made every mistake possible and I can't bear to see other people doing the same. I've eaten too many Atkins bars and stopped losing altogether, eaten sugar free polyol loaded stuff and hurt my guts. The first time I did Atkins I followed the book and subtracted fibre from the carb count because there was nowhere to tell me the book is targeted at americans. I didn't know about insulin reactions so thought I'd be okay whatever source my carbs came from as long as they were under a certain amount. I ate too much processed stuff... Everything. I have made all the mistakes. Stopping other people making them is really something I care about.

Absolutely - it's a two way street here!

My role is court jester, in case anyone was wondering :D

But seriously, thanks to you ML I will never buy another Atkins bar and really watch carefully what sort of sweeteners I use xxx

Back