Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

moonlights said:
I'm so glad because I always worry I sound like I'm lecturing or being a busybody.

Moonlight you help everyone, and that is why everybody loves you. You are the kindly oracle of low carbing :) and your menus show just how delicious low carb food can be! Thank god we have had you there is all I can say ;)

B xx

Absolutely, I love that you (amongst others) will jump in and give advice on menus, or any points you may have seen written that might hinder someones progress. It is so helpful to have you around.

I think you're all the resident lovelies, that's what.

Seriously, I would not still be on plan without this place and I get tons of inspiration from reading everyone's diaries - I can't cook proper food for a start so its an adventure in learning what real meals people eat and that has helped me so much to eat more freshly and cleanly.

Most of the time I'm repeating what I've seen someone else here talking about!

I have to keep going as I don't want to let minimins down!

--although last night in bed I was feeling sorry for myself and trying to talk myself into taking a day off. I was due a planned break at the end of October but have decided not to take it as there are a few things in December I just want to be relaxed at so pretty much the whole month will be a write off in terms of loss. But I was feeling sorry for myself and trying to tell myself a fish and chip supper on Halloween wouldn't be do bad.

Maybe it wouldn't, but I don't need to do it. If I stick to plan I'll let myself be off track in December guilt free. Or slightly less guiltily anyway.

Food today:

Fried oopsie bread, fried egg yolk and pancetta

Venison steak, cauliflower, cream cheese

Rest of the oopsie bread with dairylea and tomatoes

Mfp: 29g carbs inc meds

Fantabulous ML - well done staying so focused! Agree you deserve the accolades for patiently explaining what you've learned about low carb while managing your own health issues. Love having you here - thank you xxx

Agree with all the above , your input has been invaluable even to me as a newbie here!

And as for fish n chips - what if u made an atkins friendly version??

Celeriac chips or mooli chips?? I'm sure there will be some sort of batter you can make for the fish? X x

moonlights said:
But I was feeling sorry for myself and trying to tell myself a fish and chip supper on Halloween wouldn't be do bad.

I agree with Zen, a low carb version would definitely scratch a craving itch!

But you know ML, things like takeaway chips NEVER taste as good as they smell, and if they do it's only for the first couple of mouthfuls..it's not worth it (says she, who has been salivating at fish and chip shop takeaway herself today lol)

Why not take yourself out for a cracking restaurant meal instead, and choose low carb options..if at worse there's a touch of flour in the sauce, it's got to be better than a plateful of chips. I had slow roasted belly of pork in Prezzo with sautéed courgettes and a couple of glasses of wine for my brother's birthday, it was gorgeous :) What I really liked was that you could opt for the courgettes instead of potatoes or pasta, so that I could avoid that temptation!

Something that has helped me (though I am no saint lol) is thinking that if I am going to deviate from my diet, it better be something exceptionally spectacular - not cheap, crappy food - but something that I'll really appreciate and is really special..and when you think about it like that, how many things out there really are good enough?

We can make such great food on this diet, the diet world looks on at us in green-eyed jealous rage lol..we should rub their faces in it even more, by showing off how delicious our food is and how much weight we can still lose!

B xx

Last edited:
:party0011::woohoo::wee:
Brilliant, brilliant achievement, ML! You SO deserve it! :D

And I can only echo what others have said about your contribution here: you not only lead by example but give so much to help others achieve their own goals...you are truly inspiring in every way xxx

Oh I've had low carb fish and chips often! Usually just haddock fillet and celeriac chips - cant be doing faffing around with batter. M&S used to do lightly dusted haddock which was only about 2 carbs per fillet but the newer recipe is carbier.

(I have to say, while I've mostly gone off sweet things, going by last time I was off plan on my birthday in July chips do still taste just as good ;) but I also love celeriac chips - one of the best Atkins food replacements for sure).

Was just a late night feeling sorry for myself want. I'll fancy something off plan nearly every day but the feeling goes fast.

I've spent much of my day lurking on my BMI calculator website. Love seeing it tell me:

[h=2]Your BMI is 29.8 - overweight[/h]
Your weight is above the healthy range for your height. Losing some weight would be beneficial to your health and make you look and feel better. You don't need to do anything drastic - making sure you have a healthy, balanced diet, the right amount of calories and getting more active will help you to shift the excess pounds.

instead of:

[h=2]Your BMI is 30.4 - obese[/h]
Your weight is substantially above the healthy range for your height, which means you have a higher than average risk of developing diseases associated with obesity.

:) :) :)

(Not that i agree with the site whose bmi calculator I use's low fat plans but I quite enjoy checking my weight there and knowing I've eaten all the terrible fatty foods they ban).

I am so glad you resisted the chippy temptation!! I have fish n chips about once a year at the seaside, which is not far from here really, every time i have them i feel like the thought of them was so much better than the reality, and all day and evening i feel like a vile greasy blob, enough so i dont eat them for another year!

The only time chips have me drooling was when workmates got them from a chippy in maidstone, they are the only decent ones i have had in years!

when you know you have resisted a strong temptation, it makes you feel so strong! I have been craving sweet n sour chicken balls, i didnt used to like the sauce but now mmmmmmm. Not given into it, its just not worth the week trying to get back in ketosis and trying to get back into losing mode...

Well done for not giving into temptation, and i echo all the wonderful things that have already been said about you, Moonlighs you are a star!

Morning :)

I was mulling over the fish and chip thing (I love them too, although the smell of the chips is probably better than the eating) - so, celeriac chips are an excellent replacement for the potato.

For the fish, what about some of the breading and batter mix you can get from LCM? I have some but (unhelpfully) haven't tried it yet. the contents are - soy concentrate, corn starch, cereal fibre, dried egg whites, baking powder, vegetable fibre, spices, dried onions and sea salt. A serving size is 1 tblsp for 1 net carb.

I don't eat a lot of fresh fish because of my allergy, but was thinking it would be great for chicken.

Anyway, just a thought :)

Haha it's lovely to hear all these suggestions and I bet they'll be useful to someone but I really wasn't craving fish and chips.

I was feeling low and trying to talk myself into having a day off in a week or so (as I'd originally planned), not specifically wanting that one thing. It was just what I was thinking I'd have. I have feeling low or weak moments all the time but I wouldn't call them cravings - the craving is really just to not be in a position where I have to restrict myself, I think.

So please don't think I was craving fish and chips in any more than the same momentary flail I have sometimes when I'm at a train station and all there is to eat are bloody sandwiches!

Woke up Thursday and felt fine! No worries. I am having some haddock today though as its been in my meal plan for ages. Proooobably no celeriac though ;)

Personally I'd never use those batter mixes from LCM. Just not a risk I'd take. I also really can't be bothered with either making my own batter or frying in lots of oil (too scared of burning myself) when fish is delicious without it. I prefer most foods batter/breadcrumb free, even non low carb. Chip shops are the only exception.

Completely understand.

I'm a real batter lover (of course I am, just one more contributor to the weight gain over the years :eek:), and it's the smell going past a chippy that gets me, especially if it's after work and I'm tired - oh, and the crunch. I do miss a bit of crunch, and have gone off pork scratchings, they are just way too salty for me now.

I'll try the mix out and report back. At least it has no preservatives :)

Did go to LCM to order more one carb ketchup yesterday though. Why are they always sold out when I do????

ladyfelsham said:
Completely understand.

I'm a real batter lover (of course I am, just one more contributor to the weight gain over the years :eek:), and it's the smell going past a chippy that gets me, especially if it's after work and I'm tired - oh, and the crunch. I do miss a bit of crunch, and have gone off pork scratchings, they are just way too salty for me now.

I'll try the mix out and report back. At least it has no preservatives :)

I've never got on with pork scratchings, nasty mouth feel. Very occasionally I'll fancy one piece of pork crunch - but salami crisps and cheese crisps have really replaced that for me now. Totally understand, there's nowt like chip shop batter - I have a feeling from the various low carb pancake mixes and things I have tried that the taste of a low carb one might be a let down. plus you need a vat of oil to really get the deep fried effect. Too much effort for me even without the cornflour.

Re: breadcrumbing things - ground almonds, a little garlic powder and dried Parmesan cheese, maybe also a bit of flax, would probably be a good version.

Re: breadcrumbing things - ground almonds, a little garlic powder and dried Parmesan cheese, maybe also a bit of flax, would probably be a good version.

Oooh will give that a go too. Wonder how almond flour would work? Must go and google. No, no Susie, first get off your behind, go and shower and go to the post office! :)

What a fantastic achievement ML, I'm high five(ing) you on the pitch as you come sliding in for your goal.

You've resisted so much temptation that it now makes me think twice before going of my plan. Inspiration!!! x

ladyfelsham said:
Oooh will give that a go too. Wonder how almond flour would work? Must go and google. No, no Susie, first get off your behind, go and shower and go to the post office! :)

Almond flour and ground almonds are the same thing ;)

And I know, I need to get some serious work done today. Must. Stop. Procrastinating.

coffeelover said:
What a fantastic achievement ML, I'm high five(ing) you on the pitch as you come sliding in for your goal.

You've resisted so much temptation that it now makes me think twice before going of my plan. Inspiration!!! x

Aww, high fives!

Sometimes I resist temptation though the highly mature medium of sulking. But mostly I think planned breaks help- I know I'll be off at Xmas, I can give myself permission to eat whatever then.

Back