Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

i do have a deep fryer but that is not something i ever use, my oh uses it so really its his, as i have been overweight too long to ever want to deep fry anything and i never ever eat frozen chips because they are sick.... the amount of times i would have chips you can count on one hand if the person only had two fingers! so when i did my breaded oopsie coated kfc i used a wok with a little oil in it, then it was easy to strain and use again and deep enough to fry them in without a huge vat of oil xxx

stubbsey said:
when you know you have resisted a strong temptation, it makes you feel so strong! I have been craving sweet n sour chicken balls, i didnt used to like the sauce but now mmmmmmm. Not given into it, its just not worth the week trying to get back in ketosis and trying to get back into losing mode...

I thought you might be pleased to know Stubs, sweet n sour sauce is only 4 tbsps vinegar, 4 tbsps sugar, food colouring, 1 tbsp cornflour & 1 tbsp soy sauce. You could easily make a low carb version with vinegar, Splenda, food colouring, xanthum gum & soy sauce if you wanted and use the batter suggestions above to make your own! I think a dipping sauce would be better than a big soupy sauce too, less carbs!

Deep frying is easy too, just make sure you have a big enough pan and oil which can go to a high enough temperature without burning. We used to always cool the oil, sieve and reuse it - but I don't think that's meant to be very healthy.

B x

oh that is interesting i would deffo like to try that what is xantham gum? where would u get that? is is ok on induction?

I had no idea that's all that's in sweet and sour sauce - I thought it had tomato paste or something in it - but I can't say I've tasted it often.

Xantham gum you can get at must supermarkets I think? Afaik it's ok for induction, it's just a thickener, a bit like glucomannan.

I've spent much of my day lurking on my BMI calculator website. Love seeing it tell me:

Your BMI is 29.8 - overweight

Your weight is above the healthy range for your height. Losing some weight would be beneficial to your health and make you look and feel better. You don't need to do anything drastic - making sure you have a healthy, balanced diet, the right amount of calories and getting more active will help you to shift the excess pounds.

instead of:

Your BMI is 30.4 - obese

Your weight is substantially above the healthy range for your height, which means you have a higher than average risk of developing diseases associated with obesity.

:) :) :)

(Not that i agree with the site whose bmi calculator I use's low fat plans but I quite enjoy checking my weight there and knowing I've eaten all the terrible fatty foods they ban).

That no-longer-obese feeling is truly wonderful :D

Do you get those moments where you're still surprised by your reflection? I sort of know what I look like now, but even so, if I catch my reflection when I wasn't expecting it it often takes me a moment to realise that it's me!

That's a pretty good feeling too!

I bought my xanthum gum online, from e-bay I think for £3.50 including delivery. Thanks ML, tbh I had no clue if it was ok on induction lol, I'm glad you knew!

I love the comment above, by Scrumbles - having to double take at your own reflection! Amazing.

B xx

Ditto - I've never used mine though - but there are lots of warnings to go easy on the amount, apparently it can double as carpet glue if you're not careful :D

I've put mine in a flour shaker so I can control how much comes out. Have used it a few times and find it very effective. You need to be whisking whilst adding it, that way it doesn't form a lump.

You just whisk a tiny tiny bit into any sauce or soup you want to thicken afaik - if you've left the flour out. I've never found it necessary because I'm fine with them thinner anyway - apparently XG can make them a little slimy if you add a tiny bit too much?

Total hearsay though - sounds like smiley actually uses it, I'm sure she'll have tips :)

I've never found it slimy, but I do err on the side of caution. Just trying to think what I've used it in....used it in the slow cooker when the beef was ready, to thicken the juices for gravy. Have also used it to thicken a cheese sauce. Will add anything else as I think of it.

Scrumbles said:
Do you get those moments where you're still surprised by your reflection? I sort of know what I look like now, but even so, if I catch my reflection when I wasn't expecting it it often takes me a moment to realise that it's me!

That's a pretty good feeling too!

Nope, I still see myself as I was at a size ... Well mid 20s if not 30. According to my mother when I ask her to help me compare with other people the ones I pick out are twice my size - but to me we look just the same.

Idk if anyone is watching the choir right now but there was a lady in a blue top who must have been mid-20s in dress size at least. She was the one I instantly felt drawn to and empathized with as representing me.

In the mirror... I can see when clothes are too big for me as a lot of mine are getting now, and that's frustrating, and I can see my collar bones sticking out and my wrist bones, bones I was amazed even existed when they first uncovered themselves.

I think it doesn't help that my proportions haven't changed much, though the inches round are less. My stomach was always the hugest part of me and still is. In my jeans, the stomach part fits closely while the jeans flap round my legs like clown trousers. My chest used to be bigger but not as big as my stomach and has reduced and gone saggy so as to stay the same proportion as ever. And my stomach is so out of proportion, low hanging and saggy that it looks as bad as ever.

I can feel my hip bones but can't see them due to saddle bags. I just sort of look like a size 16 person with a size 30 body.

(which I will stop before I go on about ad infinitum again, you have listened to me enough).

I try not to look at myself that much, really. But if I have to, I look best in 50s style dresses with a flared skirt. Then I can look almost normal as the flare hides my stomach.

I do think if I had a flat stomach (and the horrific sag of the other bits removed) I might not think I looked terrible at this weight. Or might at least be able to see a human in the mirror, not a swamp monster.

Eta: I do notice the difference in photos though. Found a bus pass of myself at my biggest and my face is nearly unrecognizeable. Those are the double take moments. I take progress photos now and then, just for myself, will need to do them again soon. My first time as not obese!

I cant find my before pic i uploaded it onto ww when i started now thats gone im not sure i ever kept a copy i hope so. I think the way i had to stand made me have a round honey monster vibe going on with my arms. I wish i could find a copy so when i feel like iv not lost weight n fed up i could have a little look! Wish i could lose a little faster!

I don't know anyone who wouldn't like to lose a little faster ;) trying to rush or speed up my losses has always proved to be my downfall on any diet though - I am neurotic and get discouraged easily - so this time around I'm trying to take it a lot easier and not expect too much of myself. It seems to be helping.

Just 1lb per week is over 50lbs in a year, after all.

Oh gosh ML when you put it that way that's fab! I looked for my before pic. Must be well hidden as its not on fb or my pics lol. There is one on here but it's not at my biggest which was 15st 2lb. The shame!!!!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Fft nothing to be ashamed of - look how far you've come. People have all sorts of reasons for becoming overweight, and many many are emotionally based. We shouldn't be ashamed of anyone just for eating food, especially food which is designed to be addictive and hit all our comfort needs. Then there are medical issues and the basic fact that so many of us have metabolisms that work against us. Really, I hated myself so much when I was bigger (and it is debatable how much progress I've made on that) but I hated myself because of how cruel people were to me. It's them who should be ashamed.

Serious response to an off the cuff remark, sorry! I must dig out another video to share here. A woman I really admire.

Food today was just super delicious.

Venison steak with asparagus

Smoked pan fried haddock with prawns, sautéed leeks and two fried egg yolks - so tasty!!

Flax porridge

Mfp: 26g carbs inc meds

Back