Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

Nespresso is HUGE here in Switzerland with it being a Swiss company. We have a Nespresso Boutique in our town where you can try the coffees etc. It's fab!

image-1538134956.png

I'm like a kid in a candy shop there! They have some nut accent pods out for Crimbo.

Sorry to hijack your diary!!!!!

Have been reading your diary moonlight, and have taken lots of inspiration from it. I am sorry to read about how ill you have been, and touched by how you seem to take it all in your stride. X

Eww you guys, who smeared coffee all over my journal? Coffee is awful, it tastes like the devils wee.

(actually I love the smell of it and am always sad at how bitter it tastes - I can't like it even full of sweetener though).

Hihi Cate, glad the food ideas help - I seem to eat more simply the longer I do this diet but it definitely helps to have an arsenal of recipes to fall back on - and when I was starting out it was great to have things like courgette spaghetti (Susie calls it courgetti which is brilliant) and Swiss roll to fill in for cravings or 'poor me' moments. It really is a doable diet, compared to the stress and self denial of following others - and I have followed many many others. This one has worked best for me by far simply by virtue of being the easiest to stick to.

coffeelover said:
That's because you haven't had an coffee from a Nespresso ML;)

I thought that too! They have strong coffees for hardcores like me and then lighter ones too (not suggesting you're a lightweight of course!!).

Have one to try..

image-3991995603.png

With some Atkins choccy cream

image-743253626.png

:-D

Attachments

• image-558494441.png
    image-558494441.png
    919 KB · Views: 9
  • image-3996211374.png
    image-3996211374.png
    919 KB · Views: 8
Ewwwwww coffee.

Today I have had

No coffee.

Venison steak with prawns and spring onions

Pork ribs in 5 spice and soy marinade... Now the marinade was nice but sigh, I cannot get these ribs to cook nicely. I've tried slow slow slow cooking and roasting for the 35 mins it says on the pack - always too tough. I have one rack left I'll have to eat at some point so I might try boiling that before I cook it? But not going to have that for a good long while.

3 mini pepperami - mostly eaten as I couldn't eat much of the ribs

Flax porridge.

I wish I'd had something instead of the ribs. They were a last minute freezer grab as I realized my planned main meal was out of date. Unsatisfying.

moonlights said:
I'm not doing too badly at the mo thanks hon - my diarys been a bit quiet of late - think I probably scare people off with the medical nonsense.

Pfffffft! It'll take more than that to scare us lot off lol!

I think Madhur Jaffreys is great too, I've only seen her on Sunday brunch, but she was hilarious! I had no idea she had her own show. I wish we had the food channel!

B xx

moonlights said:
Pork ribs in 5 spice and soy marinade... Now the marinade was nice but sigh, I cannot get these ribs to cook nicely. I've tried slow slow slow cooking and roasting for the 35 mins it says on the pack - always too tough. I have one rack left I'll have to eat at some point so I might try boiling that before I cook it? But not going to have that for a good long while.

Hmm, I would definitely reduce the cooking time. We always have to reduce the time and temperatures on our oven, otherwise everything would be overdone. You could try wrapping in foil for the first half of the cook, and basting with oil before you put back into the oven..

They recommend browning joints of beef in the frying pan before roasting, would this be possible, or is the rack too big?

B xx

Nah reducing the cooking time wouldn't work - the 35 minute version I tried today were undercooked and chewy. The versions I've slow cooked for varying amounts of time (covered in foil and in water bath) come out dry and chewy.

Oh and they're pork ribs not beef. Rack of pork ribs, not a beef joint. I wouldn't cook a whole joint of beef just for myself ;) yummy as it would be.

I give up!

Mine is ancient but in good working order. I think it's just these ribs really, they're a small economy pack, maybe there's just not enough meat on them to come out the way they should.

What do you do with food you know you won't eat?

I have many meaty items in my freezer, usually bought in bulk as part of a cheap deal which turns out to be a crock as I find them inedible. I've been trying to cook them in different ways but i end up frustrated and the food ends up with the local foxes. Last nights pork ribs as an example. Today I took one of the mini beef joints I bought cheaply recently - the last one I cooked the day I had my iron infusion and it was like shoe leather. Theis one I cut all the sinew and connective tissue out of and minced to try a home made burger and it was still awful.

I have another rack of ribs, another beef thing, several other items I know I will never eat taking up space in my freezer. Is throwing them out the only option?

What about calling a local soup kitchen/church homeless organisation to see if they would use it? Quite often they won't accept unless it's from an organisation or store, but might be worth asking.

Oops posted too soon.

That was my first thought too but I called one local place and they said nowhere would accept non corporate donations unless it was canned food. So past it's sell by date frozen stuff is a definite no.

I really wish I had less expensive tastes, the costs of eating are soaring lately. I don't like burgers (except McDonald's - fancy burgers gave a texture I hate). Don't like sausages. Don't like ham or any pre-sliced packaged meat. Don't like fatty cuts of meat (except pork) and I physically can't make myself eat sinewy stewing type meat. Don't like minced meat (texture again). Don't like canned fish (smell gets to me).

I like: roast chicken, freshly roasted beef, fillet steak or very lean cuts of sirloin, occasionally I can handle rump. Prawns. Scallops. Some fish, mainly salmon. Venison.

Basically I can only handle lean meat. The only lamb I can eat is loin fillet (crazy expensive). Pork is the only non lean meat I can eat and also the cheapest: bacon and pork belly.

I eat much more cheaply when I eat mainly vegetarian (courgettes in cheese and tomato sauce, cauli cheese, celeriac chops etc) but I don't lose weight as well as when I eat mainly meat. But practically every spare penny us going on food right now. I must find cheap meat that doesn't repulse me.

Back