Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

Cocoa mud (for Cate):

1tsp cocoa powder
1tbsp coconut oil
Liquid sweetener
Flavouring of choice (optional)
2 tsp peanut or almond butter (optional)
OR
2 tsp chopped roast almonds (optional)
OR
2 tsp flax (optional)

Melt coconut oil in micro. Combine with cocoa and sweetener and mix until totally blended. Add any of the optional ingredients you like.

Set in fridge in small pot for minimum 5 mins.

Eat with a spoon.

Food (yesterday):

Pork belly and spring onion

Venison steak and spring onion - yes I'm addicted

Flax porridge

- today my teeth are bleeding, the ones next to the one the dentist fixed. They never usually bleed. And they're sore too. Tried flossing and brushing. Sods law.

Morning! So sorry to hear about the teeth bleeding. Maybe swish around some salt water?

I am going to try some flax with soya milk (will count carbs as per label to be safe). Do you normally have your flax in the evening?

Have a good day x

moonlights said:
Cocoa mud (for Cate):

1tsp cocoa powder
1tbsp coconut oil
Liquid sweetener
Flavouring of choice (optional)
2 tsp peanut or almond butter (optional)
OR
2 tsp chopped roast almonds (optional)
OR
2 tsp flax (optional)

Melt coconut oil in micro. Combine with cocoa and sweetener and mix until totally blended. Add any of the optional ingredients you like.

Set in fridge in small pot for minimum 5 mins.

Eat with a spoon.

Thank you so so much!! May invest in some of the da Vinci syrups you told me about for Christmas x x

moonlights said:
- today my teeth are bleeding, the ones next to the one the dentist fixed. They never usually bleed. And they're sore too. Tried flossing and brushing. Sods law.

Ouch! Listerine is also good, as it contains antiseptic - might sting a bit though!

I had a dream last night that I met you Moonlight, and you were so pretty I wondered how you could possibly have problems with self esteem.. It was quite sweet, so I thought I would share it with you :)

Xx

shrinki said:
Morning! So sorry to hear about the teeth bleeding. Maybe swish around some salt water?

I am going to try some flax with soya milk (will count carbs as per label to be safe). Do you normally have your flax in the evening?

Have a good day x

I do normally have my flax in the evening, yes. For no particular reason I've developed the habit of eating backwards - biggest meal first, smaller meal, then flax. I eat late, usually after lunch so have lost the concept of breakfast for now.

Teeth feeling a bit better this morning but may give salt water a try - they're still kind of sore.

catexx said:
Thank you so so much!! May invest in some of the da Vinci syrups you told me about for Christmas x x

To be honest I haven't -loved- any of the davinci syrups I've tried. The mint has been most useful, but I use my tiny bottles of preema flavouring much more often. I hear LCM is getting restocked with syrups mid December so I may have one last try of a couple of the flavors I've wanted then.

LadyBattenberg said:
Ouch! Listerine is also good, as it contains antiseptic - might sting a bit though!

I had a dream last night that I met you Moonlight, and you were so pretty I wondered how you could possibly have problems with self esteem.. It was quite sweet, so I thought I would share it with you :)

Xx

I have used listerine and sting it certainly does!!

Aww. Well thank your subconscious for me, please ;) I do think my face is tolerable thank goodness. Covered in spots right now though - hello TOTM.

Totm busy tryyyyyying to start.

Food today was

Steak, mushrooms

Haddock, 2 eggs, spring onion

Mini bonbel cheese

Flax porridge

Friday weigh in? Oh...

image-783927393.jpg

I think that picture is going to be upside down but it says 10st 10lbs on it so:

1. My weight is in binary again
2. I lost 4lbs this week!!!

That's 9lbs in 2 weeks.

For those who have been eagle eyed in watching my diary (if anyone is) you might have noticed that for 4 days each week for the last 2 weeks I have eaten exceptionally 'cleanly' - just whole cuts of non processed meat (except the odd mini pepperami), eggs, small amounts of the lower carb veggies, lots of butter and mayo and a very small amount of cheese. Basically a very clean version of induction. The other 3 days each week I've eaten tons of veggies, lots of cheese and maxed out my carb allowance (30g including 11g from medication). I definitely haven't cut diwn on food - unless eating half a chicken in a day is cutting down! On all 7 days my calories have been between 1300 and 1500 - I don't lose well when my calories are low.

I have no idea whether that's what gave me the good losses as I have had a 5lbs loss following a 1 week STS twice now, so maybe that's just how my body likes to compensate.

Anyway I only did it after 2 very slow weeks, I wouldn't recommend people follow that as a usual plan unless they're a couple of months at least into the diet and experiencing stalls. Though, It's really just induction but without any 'extras' save flax. I usually eat owl style.

Totm has started now so I won't be doing it again but may do 2 more weeks this style after Xmas.

But, 10st 10lbs. I now have exactly 1 stone left to my goal of a heathy BMI. Still feels impossible to be here or get there but I'm very proud of how far I've come. 11st was my secret Xmas target, 10st 10lbs is a huge bonus.

So, tomorrow is December, and this is probably my last weekly weigh in.

It might not be my last EVER - I may go back to them in January, and I will still post any significant updates, but I have two planned days off plan at the beginning of the month and two planned weeks off over Xmas and I am not going to give myself the stress of feeling like I want more results in the meantime.

My hope is to maintain at 10:10 until I go off plan fully just before Xmas, then lose any Xmas gain by mid Jan. Based on my own personal experience I think that should be workable.

I will still be posting daily menus (on on plan days!) and I'll still be weighing myself. I'll post any significant changes if there happen to be any I just don't want the weekly schedule over the holidays.

I'm 10st 10lbs for Xmas!!!! Yaaaaay!h

Last edited:
Well done! I may have to try the same as I have been sticking to about 2lb a week for ages and need a little push for Xmas :)

EG - I wouldn't change a thing about what you're doing if I were you. A stall is not losing any weight for a number of weeks. Losing 2lbs per week on a consistent basis is the perfect loss - the Atkins holy grail. I really wouldn't shake up what doesn't need shaking.

If you wanted to cut out any extras or off plan things you might have and see if it does anything, sure. But personally I'd stick with what you do, it works perfectly for you! I have really only lost my usual monthly amount, it's just that these two weeks compensated for two weeks of not being well and staying more or less the same previously. You don't have a problem ;)

Blimey, ML! You're giving Rosemary Shrager a run for her money! :D Now, fess up, you've actually been living on child-sized portions of rice and beans with an occasional treat of crocodile's dangly bits :p (for those that don't know, Rosemary Shrager just lost 31lbs in 15 days in the jungle on I'm a Celeb, Get Me Out of Here - a record weight loss for the show).

Seriously, that's a spectacular loss - I'm so proud of you!xxx

(Now you can join me in trying not to pile too much of it back on again for the next four weeks :eek: :p)

Wow!! Congratulations!!! You're in the 10s :-D. That's great news and shows eating clean works. I think there's always a tendency to eat more cheese and cream than recommended. After hearing of your fab loss, it will make me keep an eye on that. X

Aww thanks guys.

Scrummie - crocs dangly bits are full of protein I'm sure, although I've never watched the show.

Shrinki - I love my cheese and usually lose well having it daily but I just decided to only have it 3 days per week for those 2 weeks. I did have a lot on my 3 days though! I don't have cream anyway as I've gone off it for some reason... Where's your diary??

moonlights said:
Aww thanks guys.

Scrummie - crocs dangly bits are full of protein I'm sure, although I've never watched the show.

Shrinki - I love my cheese and usually lose well having it daily but I just decided to only have it 3 days per week for those 2 weeks. I did have a lot on my 3 days though! I don't have cream anyway as I've gone off it for some reason... Where's your diary??

My diary is in the silver members section - link below xx
http://www.minimins.com/silver-members-diary/289544-shrinkis-fresh-start-50-pounds-target.html

Last edited:
Wooooo! That's fantastic Moonlight!! 10.10, such a terrific number :) Soon you'll be sharing with us your wisdom on successful maintaining!xx

Thank you guys. Bride - a few years ago - a few months ago even I NEVER thought I'd make the tens. I'm still not sure I really have, I'm just waiting to wake up.

Supposed to be going to a thing tomorrow but TOTM has knocked me sideways so we'll see I guess. Totally wiped right now.

Food was:

Bunless burger (fast food)

Rump steak, spring onion, courgette

2 quorn hot dogs, 250g celeriac

And a mug of alpro with green and blacks cocoa.

moonlights said:
I can't go round to everyone's diary and say WEIGH WEEKLY to them, so I'm doing it here. If you don't weigh weekly, at least make a contract with yourself not to fuss over daily fluctuations until you've seen the weekly result.

Essentially, bodies are weird things. They'll hang on to fat for as long as they can, or retain water to temporarily fill up the fat cells that your hard work has managed to empty, and theyll do it for reasons divine and mysterious.

Atkins describes a stall as six weeks with no downward movement on the scale. Not one week. Definitely not a couple of days. They body's general mysteriousness has to be accounted for.

Yes, eating the wrong thing can stall you. That much is obvious. But people who think they stall on, say, cheese, or another allowed food, might well actually not stall on cheese. They might have had a week of eating a little more than normal and the salt content might have caused a little water retention, causing a stall. The next week, that would have evened out.

Or, and here's the important one: they might have stalled for no (controllable) reason at all.

People on vlcds have weeks where they stall or loss slows right down. People on every and any diet have weeks, sometimes more than a week, where loss slows or stops for no controllable reason.

Because we're on diets we fuss around and wonder what we've done wrong and what we might change to improve things. I do it. I do it nearly every week. But unless there's a really obvious factor in there, like I've decided to swap my scrambled eggs in the morning for a slice of toast, it's possible I'm fussing over nothing. It would take several weeks of eating the offending ingredient and then several weeks of removing it to prove what might have caused a stall. And after all that it might have been nothing. Just the body being mysterious.

I still do it, and doing it weekly can be maddening. Doing it daily would make me dive off a cliff.

So why should you only take weekly losses into account?

Weight fluctuates, day by day and over the course of the day. Weight loss, especially on Atkins, is not linear. You're not looking for daily losses, you're looking for a downward trend.

If you are looking for daily losses, you're going to be disappointed, and disappointment on a diet can be lethal.

With the exclusion of the first week, possibly two, of starting this diet, you're going to be looking at an average loss of 2lbs a week.

2 pounds divided by seven days equals not very much. It's likely most of those seven days you're going to be anxious or disappointed.

You might not lose for 5 days and drop 2lb on the sixth. Your weekly result will be the same but you'll have spent five days wondering why you're stalling.

I have, in the past, made pacts with myself where if the scales hadn't shown any downward movement that day, I was allowed to cheat. Because what was the point of being good when I wasn't losing anyway, right?

Disappointment, on a diet, is lethal.

Some weeks you're only going to lose one pound. Some weeks you'll not lose. I always hope for 2lb but if it's 1lb it's still adding up, and if it's nothing - well, I haven't gained. If I'd eaten pizza I would have done.

Now looking at it the other way. Count the weeks until say, Halloween. Or Xmas, or new year. Times the figure by 2. That's the average you can expect to lose. Pretty decent when it's all added up, right?

When I think of being ten and a half stone it feels like a distant impossibility. A fairytale figure.

When I think of being ten and a half stone in terms of 2lbs it's 14 weeks. 14 weeks. That's just over 3 months and I could, possibly, have reached something distant and impossible.

Of course I have to increase that for any time off the plan- which is a good motivation to stay on track, but it's also a reassurance that even if I took time off, even if I gained - both of which I have done recently - time does not stop. I can get back on and give myself another 14 weeks, or however long it may take.

Week by week. It's not the days that matter, it's what they average out to, over time.

Sorry to quote on your older parts of your diary but have been reading it all this morning and want to say a big thank you, I think everyone can relate to this - every week in fact :)
Good to put in perspective and not allow our own self sabotage.
Again thanks for such a fantastic post xxx

Back