Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

Gosh, that menu does sound very yummy ml. I had never thought of mashing butter into egg mayo before, think I'll give it a try.

I like it with some butter added - as I'm not having it on bread it rounds out the taste. Just mayo gets a bit sour to me sometimes.

Just had my 5 spice chicken. Could have eaten 20 portions! Seriously addictive.

Must remember to get beef brisket out of freezer for tomorrow...

My mum used to mash a load of butter into eggs and mayo, very yummy! :)

I got the Asian 5 spice, ML, dying to try your chicken - but the fridge is heaving, might have to wait until the weekend. Let the addiction begin! :D

ladyfelsham said:
And lots of pepper Shrinki makes all the difference imho :D

I love black pepper! I need to get some mayo - completely run out..

Thanks guys - love hearing about new recipes and ideas x

For a really authentic Chinese meal you can add some water and ginger to the pan with the sesame oil and five spice and let it simmer for a little bit, then add a splash of Chinese cooking wine. Makes a very light sauce.

I just fry mine in the sesame oil because I love it nice and crispy and I love the sesame oil taste.

Well my ratios for today:

image-2160089632.jpg

So what changed? I had 1/4 of a pot of sugar free jelly. Its not an extra I'd usually add but ive been fancying it lately. Still think it was a pretty good day!

Hello hello!

All this time I thought I was missing the bread when I had egg mayo and I was actually missing the butter!!! I made it with butter today and it was amazing. Thank you for the tip.

Have a nice day :)

I'm going low on veggies for a few days (ate loads yesterday) just because I want to knock my carb cravings on the head.

Interesting - do you find even leafy greens affect you? I suppose there's a certain sweetness to things like cabbage and broccoli but I'm surprised it would be enough to promote cravings. How about courgettes? They're pretty much just water (I'm not questioning your choices, btw, just curious as these things have zero effect on me).

Must remember to get beef brisket out of freezer for tomorrow...

Ooooo - now, how do you cook your brisket? I've been having trouble cooking beef since I got my new fan oven last January.

I use mostly silverside which isn't supposed to be suitable for open roasting but always seemed to come out fine that way in my old electric oven. In my fan oven it came out like shoe leather the first few times I did it, so I tried pot roasting at 140C and it was a bit less tough but still not right.

I know you have a fan oven, so how do you do your brisket? (that needs long, slow cooking too I believe?)

Hello hello!

All this time I thought I was missing the bread when I had egg mayo and I was actually missing the butter!!! :)

Yay! Butter is definitely what I miss more than bread. I've even spread a little on lettuce wrapped chicken before to get the taste.

Interesting - do you find even leafy greens affect you? I suppose there's a certain sweetness to things like cabbage and broccoli but I'm surprised it would be enough to promote cravings. How about courgettes? They're pretty much just water (I'm not questioning your choices, btw, just curious as these things have zero effect on me).

Ooooo - now, how do you cook your brisket? I've been having trouble cooking beef since I got my new fan oven last January.

I know you have a fan oven, so how do you do your brisket? (that needs long, slow cooking too I believe?)

Going lower on veggies does seem to help me out - low on veggies high on fats. I only do it for a few days in a row though as I love my veggies - and I also have totally veggie days. It's just a way of mixing things up.

Now the beef thing -well it's 7:30 and I haven't eaten yet because I put it in my slow cooker (not my oven) at 9:30am and when I went to eat it after I got home from hospital at 5:30 it wasn't tender at all.

I cooked rump in the slow cooker last week and it was falling apart do I'm not sure if it's a bad bit of brisket or what.

Usually however I do brisket in a casserole pot (covered) in the oven at 140 for about 4 hours and it has always come out great.

I don't find silverside has much flavour, so I'd do it the same way - cover with stock in a casserole and pot roast on low.

Eta: 2 more hours on high and NOW the beef is nice and tender, falling apart. Will cook on high in future.

Morning, I think I will try slow cooked beef tomorrow, so long since I had anything like that. Hope you have a good day.

Today will be experiments with turkey mince. Never cooked it before - any tips or favorites?

Oh just realized I forgot yesterday's menu:

Flax mim with butter

Beef brisket slow cooked, pulled apart and had with beef stock as a soup with spring onion.

Sugar free jelly and cream

i made meat balls with turkey mince when i was doing ww and it was very nice and would be low carb without the linguini of course but a substitute

Thanks, ML!

I might try the slow cooker next time, though mine is rather small so it will have to be quite a diddy joint!:D

Can't help with turkey mince, I'm afraid - never had it. Knowing me, I'd probably curry it (I use Patak's curry pastes, though I probably shouldn't :cool:).

My slow cooker is 3.5l and the brisket was 400g so it was swimming in there. I really should have gotten a smaller one but it was half price soooo.

Still not sure what I'll do with the turkey. Must do some work before food.

Back