Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

Well done ML for putting the basket down, I can hear the voices in your head now "WALK AWAY FROM THE CARBS!" So sorry the sleep is still evading you, hope your luck changes soon, then I'll call you Moonluck...

what is the best site to test your bmi.. i dont like to get hung up on numbers and what the latest doctors and scientists think, just want to look n feel good, but guess it will be interesting to see, want one that is easy to use too i am feeling really thick today

They're all much of a muchness Stubbsey, you just put in your details and the numbers are always the same. Your current BMI is already listed along with your weight loss results under your avatar on the web version of this site - your BMI is just over 28.

A BMI between 20-25 is (clinically) a 'healthy' weight - they cannot deny you any medical treatment on weight based grounds if you're at or under BMI 25.

BMI 18-20 is disputed as for most people this is an underweight BMI but some petite small boned people can be this weight - south east Asian people particularly. However a tall western woman might be verging on underweight at BMI 21.

Under 18 is indisputably and often dangerously underweight.

BMI 25 - 30 is clinically considered overweight - but not dangerously so, just a few extra lbs.

BMI 30 and over is clinically considered obese and is the point at which a doctor might recommend a diet. However again many tall western women are only slightly overweight at BMI 30 whereas for a petite woman they might be quite big. A lot also depends on muscle density - rugby players often have obese BMI counts when they're just well muscled.

BMI 40 and over is considered the danger point when obesity may become a danger to your health. Again though the sliding scale for these things is pretty huge.

All of my surgeons have told me that they use personal judgement rather than BMI - but the formula is useful because it takes height and weight into account - for example you can never say: 8st is a healthy weight because 8st would be horrifically underweight for just as many people as it would be a low but still healthy weight for, if you see what I mean.

My GP uses it because the NHS have implemented it in their guidelines for surgery - which I don't agree with because much depends on the type of surgery you're having, where your weight is distributed etc. But the NHS doesn't have the time or money to assess everyone individually so they use that scale.

Then you get horror stories like people being turned down when they apply to adopt because their BMI is over 35, which is absolutely disgusting.

Anyway spiel over, that's the BMI scale. It's only important at all to me on a clinical basis because I have a lot of medical issues. It has nothing to do with how I look etc.

If you particularly want to look it up on a site, google will give you millions - I just use one on a site called weight loss resources as its the first one google picked for me years ago.

Yes lovely although I must admit I lose best when I'm at the point where I don't want treats anymore

I'm soo far away from that place lol..

Well done for leaving behind that basket of disappointment :)

I really like your description on BMI..I've emailed it to a friend who is also my height and similar build (and who has a rugby player boyfriend lol). We were all classified as obese not that long ago.

I'm aiming for a BMI of 20 purely to take into account the little bit of weight you always gain when you start relaxing things. My ideal would be 22, or 11 stone..

B xx

I'm pretty sure bmi 20 would be too low for me - I have tiny tiny bones so if I'd never been overweight I could pull it off but having been bigger if I got that small I think I'd look awful. BMI 23 would be good for me, I think.

That said you can't really know until you get there and I've never had that kind of bmi - I'm currently at the lowest weight in my adult life.

Food today - more nuts than was probably a good idea but not too bad.

Venison steak, 2 fried egg yolks, spring onion

Toasted hazelnuts

Spoonful peanut butter

Salami and mushrooms

Thank you for the BMI run down i had never considered it before, nice to know imam not too far from it tho!

I know from some of the clothes I've hung on to from yesteryear that I've been a fair bit smaller in my adult life than I am now.

I have a size 14 pencil skirt from the mid 90's which used to be quite loose then, but is at least a couple of inches too small to even do up. I didn't really weigh myself much back then, so I don't know what I was, but probably in the 9's!

If I was, I have no ambition to get back there. My face has just about survived gaining and losing all the weight, but I'm in my mid-forties, and I would be risking looking very haggard if I were to take my weight that low I suspect. Plus, if I couldn't sustain that weight then, I almost certainly couldn't now that I'm 20 years older and everything is starting to slow down.

I'll settle for a BMI at or around 25 - anything less would be a bonus.

Hi, I would love to get to around 23 bmi, like others have said, the face would def suffer if I went any lower. Also I am now going to the gym to try and firm up the wobbly bits (lots). I think I firmish body at 23 would look a lot better than a flabby one at 20, and I would def gave lots of loose skin if I went that low.

Anyone here on the pill? There's a lovely lady in the main forum who has been told she has to come off it unless her bmi is 24 which isn't advice I've ever heard ( I certainly know lots of heavier people on it) so wondered if anyone else had that experience?

Nhs guidelines seem to say up to bmi 40 is ok.

Oof so much for sleeping

Food yesterday

Big bowl of broccoli with mayo & Parmesan

Pork belly with 5 spice & spring onion

Venison steak & egg

May be scarce for a bit as off for a birthday weekend (not mine) and fitting work in around it xx

Oh enjoy the weekend, I had the pork belly yesterday, it was lovely.

Hey ML, I've been on the pill on and off for years and no-one has ever said anything like that to me. Perhaps she had another risk factor for blood clots, like a family history, or was a heavy smoker..or maybe it was a blood pressure thing..who knows!

Hope you have a great weekend!

B xx

Hi, I hope you had a lovely weekend with lots of sleep.

Back