Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

Hello hello

Yep fine, just an exhausting weekend (if you've followed me for a while you'll know leaving the house in general is exhausting/painful) which I'm still recovering from, followed by two deadlines = no procrastination time.

Does anyone here shop at morrisons? I got some steak from there yesterday and it's really delish.

Food today (will edit if anything changes):

Tiger prawns and mayo

Steak and scallops

Broccoli with cheese and mayo

we have a new morrisons just opened. i liked their cooked chicken. i find a lot of their products quite salty!

I saw pork belly on their hot counter but not crackling. I'll keep a look out! I adore salty food so that's fine by me.

Food today:

Venison steak and spring onion

Roast chicken salad

Scrambled eggs and cheese

i think that where the other supermarkets have taken so much salt out of the food due to health pressures, i first found them insipid but obviously over time the taste buds get used to it, i usually add salt to my food anyway, but have to remember to taste anything from morrisons first!

My parents worried about how addicted I was to salt as a child (I'll happily eat it neat) and always told me that if I just stopped eating it my tastebuds would soon change. It didn't work: food tastes better salty.

Mum even changed to 'lo salt' for a while which lead to me smuggling salt packets from restaurants. Lo salt is bitter and gross.

Honestly I spent my whole childhood being told salt would kill me and here I am as an adult with chronically very very very low blood pressure and people suggesting I eat more salt! Turns out the salt myth is about as wrong as the low fat one - salt causes high BP? Nope. It's worth cutting back if you *already have* high BP, that's all.

Mmm salt.

I always salt my food the way my mother did, i never listen to all the food myths and fads just enjoy what i want!

Hello!

Sorry to hear about the lack of sleep still...

Re: salt. I agree it makes food taste much nicer - especially curries. Makes a huge difference.

Jx

I wake up every night too, often more than once i hate it! Even if i get back off i wake up tired due to broken night sigh! Can imagine how you must feel!

Sorry so sparsely around, have a cold now and still caught up in deadlines. Hopefully will be back around properly end of next week? Need to shop as almost out of food and will soon be living off eggs! Hope alls well xx

Yummy egg muffins with tomato, spring onion and cheese.

image-1665361703.jpg

image-2229489831.jpg

I have stewing steak, broccoli and celeriac in the slow cooker for a stew tonight and a bag of beef marrow bones in the fridge to make stock when that's done. I've been reading up on the nutrition levels and micronutrients in bone broth - for the calcium levels alone I'd like to try and have some every day but I think it could improve my deficiencies all round. First attempt at the beef broth tonight so hopefully it will work.

Woke at 3am to find my brain had problem solved the structure of something I've been stuck on for a while. Got to love theta state.

Food yesterday was

Leftover beef/celeriac/broccoli stew

Small piece steak, lots of oyster mushrooms in butter

Smoked prosciutto ham with 1/2 avocado mashed with cream cheese and 2 scrambled eggs

Your food is looking and sounding lovely - how was the beef stew? And how are you getting on with your slow cooker? Gotta say that I'm loving mine since I moved up the carb ladder - lots of hearty meal options to enjoy - though I do wish it were larger. 1.5 litres doesn't allow for cooking whole chickens or batch-cooking, which is a pity.

Hope the cold is clearing up - this time of year is rubbish enough without being ill :(

*twiddles thumbs and waits for spring...*

I don't think I could bring myself to slow cook a whole chicken because it seems such a waste of the skin - best part!

Beef stew was pretty nice, loved the soft broccoli and celeriac with it, but I'll probably stick with brisket in future as it just seems to have more flavour.

Weight wise, after getting to 10st 8, I'm still a little up from birthday weekend a couple of weeks ago and have another one mid march so I'm just not expecting much, loss wise. It's much harder for me to lose gains these days, even when they must be water weight.

I'm going to look at my menus and adjust slightly from next week - I'm biting the bullet and trying bacon again.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with the chemo cake effect - when you have chemo they tell you to eat 'naughty' foods because you'll feel awful later and will associate the awful feeling with the food you ate - similar to what can happen if you get bad food poisoning.

Well I inadvertentantly did it to myself with bacon after an infusion and haven't been able to eat it since. It's so useful for fat ratios etc though I'm going to give it another try next week.

Last edited:
Back