Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

I won't be trying it until Tuesday or so but I hope so too. I need to get over feeling nauseous just thinking about it!

Had roast pork for lunch today (leftover roast chicken from yesterday for breakfast!) with lots of veg.

Everyone else is having a yummy frangipani tart so I'm having a yummy almond microwave cake.

Hi ML

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble sleeping. I went through a long period of sleepless nights last weeks and it's totally exhausting :-(

I haven't heard of the chemo food association. I must tell my mum... She has just finished her three months of chemo but faces another three months after her op.

I hope you like bacon again. It would certainly be easier on Atkins and can add such a lovely flavour to so many different dishes.

I also hope you have a good nights sleep tonight xx

Oh, good luck with the bacon - can't imagine life without that :eek:

I've not heard of the chemo cake effect, but I know all about aversion from food poisoning. I couldn't eat crab meat for many years after a nasty poisoning incident in my late teens - just the smell of it was enough to make me queasy! Pity it hadn't been chocolate - might never have needed to diet again... :rolleyes:

It's funny, I have a total aversion to black beans just because someone else was cooking it (for them) on a day when I was recovering and the strong smell of it made me retch. That was 5 years ago now. The mind just sets up these pathways even though rationally I know the black beans had nothing to do with it.

But I don't need black beans, I need bacon!

Bacon is especially fab for Atkins because it's fat to protein ratio is ideal. And it's one of the few non lean meats I (used to be able to) tolerate.

Planned food today involves my weekly treat of steak and scallops with spring onion (very low fat to protein ratio so I cook in lots of butter!) and I think some kind of courgette/broccoli/cheese frittata. Nomnom.

Oh that reminds me, I've been reading a site called nomnompaleo - you need to be careful as she uses things like sweet potato, but there's still a lot on there that we can use.

It's also made me want a sous vide cooker!

Broccoli, spring onion, feta cheese, cream cheese, eggs, salt, pepper.

image-4113997066.jpg

image-2201951379.jpg

It's very yummy! I used 2 eggs and 100g soft cheese so it's amazingly light and fluffy.

I cooked the broccoli and popped it in the bottom of my dish, put a layer of feta and spring onion on, whipped together the cheese and eggs with salt and pepper and poured over, then topped with more feta and spring onion.

Well mission bacon: achieved.

I had a few slices with mushroom and egg today. Wasn't bad but my stomach feels a little unsettled now - probably psychosomatic.

Home made cauli cheese for tea.

Lots of work done today, hooray. Just finishing off the last of this project in a mo.

Food today:

Salmon fillet and pan fried courgette

Salmon fillet and pan fried courgette

Microwave almond cake

-no that's not a typo I had the same meal twice. Such is the peril of living alone and buying a two pack of fish fillets. They weren't packed separately so I had to eat both and didn't want to just leave one sitting in the fridge after unfreezing it. Luckily it's nice salmon but I must admit two fillets in one day is pushing it. I could have cooked it two different ways - buuuut I'm lazy and pan frying is fast!

I'll be eating the same thing (pretty much) today and tomorrow, too.

Bacon and mushrooms

Beef brisket and broccoli

Flax porridge

- have totm so doing more than throwing things in a pan is too much of a chore.

Well I've come to a decision - though bear in mind my decisions don't always last. I had an off plan weekend last month, and I have another two this month, and my usual pattern with these things is that the water weight piles on to a spectacular degree and then I cut right back to hardcore induction for a week to get rid of it.

Which I don't think is a bad thing when I'm only doing it once every three months, as I did last year. I do think it's a bad thing when I'm doing it three times in two months - but I've been on induction very nearly a year now and have turned down a lot of things and it's getting much harder to justify now I'm closeish to my goal (although maybe it should be easier to justify for that reason - I do know I could take this last stone off given a good couple of months run at it).

Anyway I've decided on an experiment I was thinking about doing before Xmas but never got around to.

I'm going to take myself out of ketosis and experiment with my own mix of a high-rung owl / paleoprimal way of eating. I want to see

A) if staying out of ketosis but eating moderately low carb will mean I avoid the huge water weight gains when I do go off plan

B) whether this works for maintenance in general.

I won't be expecting to lose but if I do it will be a nice bonus. Then I'll reasses after Easter and see if I carry on this way or if I take another good (uninterrupted) run with ketosis and my usual >30g carb induction/owl mix.

I do need rules though. These will apply to my on plan days (as I'll still be taking my planned off-plan breaks - they can be the 20 of my 80/20 approach).

So here is what I'll do.

Less than 100g carbs per day
Less than 30g carbs once per week
Calorie range between 1500-1800 (slightly flexible)
No wheat or grains except flax so-
No bread
No pasta
No rice
No oats etc
Potato/ sweet potato very rarely (probably Sundays)

Carbs to come from:

Vegetables - including butternut squash, carrot, peas
Fruit - including berries, apple, banana
Quorn products
Maybe full fat natural yogurt (undecided)

I'll probably still use soya milk instead of regular.
I'll still eat 60% fat or higher
No low fat / high sugar frankenfoods
No substituting honey/agave/maple for sugar and pretending it's healthier (it's not).

I will continue to use artificial sweeteners - aspartame and sucralose - and continue to avoid sugar alcohols.

Treats:
Occasional chocolate or ice cream

So! Mainly I'll be increasing my carbs by eating carbier veg like squash and introducing some higher owl level fruits. I reckon anything above 50 will take me out of K so I shouldn't need to add too much and I don't want to use this as an excuse to eat mountains of potato for example.

As always, a very well thought through and thorough approach to your next step, ML.

It all sounds really sensible and doable over the long term, hun. and I think the yoghurt is a good idea, I've had a much happier tum since re-introducing it :)

Val and I are big fans of Easiyo yoghurt - have you tried it?

I haven't, nope. I'd probably go with unflavoured natural and add my own flavourings - but I had an odd reaction to yogurt last time I added it in so I might leave it a while. Also I find it easy to overeat!

Back