morrisons extra lean steak mince

Quins

Gold Member
my morrisons has just started putting extra lean mince steak on the shelves, the packaging says typically not more than 7% fat.

Anyone else fretting over this?

I did ask at the butcher counter what the lowest fat mince they could do would be. The youngster said it would be the same as it has to have some fat in it to go through tne mincing machine. ......

I don't think there is any need to get snippy after all I don't see anyone else here trying to help you!

Although it says typically less than 7% fat the packaging should have a more detailed breakdown of calories, protein, fat etc per 100g which will give you the exact amount. An Asda one says typically less than 10% but when you look at the detailed info it actually has 5g fat per 100g so 5%!

Out of here ...

I keep telling you it says typically but more than 7%, that's the nutritional info on the packet.

A lot of them say "typically" to be fair. They do in Tesco and Sainsbury's as well. Its always just guidelines - at the end of the day you cant know the exact number of calories/syns in anything, just pick the one you think will be lowest.

2% difference is hardly anything to be fair. If there's nutritional info on the back let us know what it is and we can calculate the syns for you.
If there isn't any nutritional info on the pack it's up to you, you can either count it as lean and syn accordingly or count it as extra lean and use it freely. Lots of people on here 'tweak' and use lean mince as free anyway. I dont personally, but lean mince is not many syns - up to 12% fat is only 2.5 syns per 100g, so 7% fat is hardly going to break the syn bank. :)

Well like I said its up to you - at 7% you can either think its so close to 5% you're going to count it as free or you can count it as 2.5 syns per 100g and know you're well within those syns. Its not going to make any difference to your weight loss as we're talking a miniscule difference in calories here.

Goodmorning Everyone

The other day i bought Morrissons Extra Lean Minced Beef thinking is free on EE. I did look the packaging & it does say per 100g it has 6.8g of fat. I text my consultant then to say if was free. She said to me that there was a big debate about it at the moment on the consultant page. But she did say also that it was not free & for 500g, it would be 4 syns, which is not too bad. If your making a family meal with that, just have to divide the syns for the meat :) But i going to take a trip to Asda today to buy there extra lean minced beef. :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the debate might be as SW are clear that it has to be under 5% fat to be free. unfortunately I don't think there are regulations on how low in fat it has to be before it can be called extra lean in the shops. :)

that one does have syns im afraid i worked it out a few months back the pack will have nutritional info on it somewhere but its quite teeny (sometimes its on the back of the label on the inside of pack pffft will try look it up for ya

just checked its half a syn per 100g so a 500g pack is 2.5 syns its on syns online

i buy aldis 10% fat aberdeen angus steak mince its 9 syns a pack and £3.60 :) ot bad when i make a big batch of chilli or bolognese that feeds 10 only a syn a portion asdas 5% fat stuff is v pricey at £4 a 250g pack:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: id rather use one or two of my syns plus a little fat gives such a good flavour to my spag bol n chilli

Ive noticed the leaner the mince the less flavour
Yes i agree peggy, i think is the fat that gives the flavour. & i think you need fat in also, as the butchers cant to mince it. I did in slow cooker was nice, but when i done on stove tasted different.

Yes i agree peggy, i think is the fat that gives the flavour. & i think you need fat in also, as the butchers cant to mince it. I did in slow cooker was nice, but when i done on stove tasted different.

You can mince beef without fat i have in my mincer but it tastes crap ..... Lamb on the other hand Is fab minced

Just noticed the extra lean mince in morrisons has been repackaged and now says typically less than 5% fat, that must bring it into free range on original now? I've been on their customer services bemoaning that they have toyed around with their own meat free products and that they should research sw to get a slice f that market, I hope they start stocking L Mc red onion sausages and give up tinkering with their own products for the worse.

Back