Most embarrassing moments

being called a fact cow as I struggled to get on a train that was really busy- or all the times that pople looking for seats have taken one look at me and moved on. Or one of the GPs at my practice telling me I was the most obese person he had ever met (wish I had replied- you should get out more!)

Another that sticks in my mind is getting a waitressing job in and Indian restaurant and turning up for my first night to be given the uniform- a 'traditional' sleevless shiny top- it didn't come close to doing up, and I nearly ripped it across the back trying to get it on so I snuck out of the fire exit and never went back!

Well I had it for about 2 years and the weight gain was 3 stone in that time.
My mood swings were terrible but didn't get any bleeding what so ever. A month and a half ago I was due for my jab and then thought to myself whether or not my hormones and anger would benefit from not having the jab and they certainly have.
The pill is just as bad apparently and the coil doesn't have a good rep either. Won't be using any of these ever again.

xxxx

That's it then! .... contraception = hubby + 'snip'! ;)

I use to hate clothes shopping with my girl pals big time. They would all want to go shop in Oasis and top shop ... you know ... the sort of shops that scream out "We go up to a size 16.. and who says we don't cater for all!"... and other girls would look at me as if to say "what are you doing in here?"...

I would still rather order from a catalogue incase my big bum sticks out of the changing room but its getting better. xxxx

i get comments all the time on the wards,older patients dont think twice about making comments about your weight appearance etc . "your a big strong lass " ,"they make em big where you come from " etc . and thats the polite ones , it gets much worse and at times it is really quite hurtful,but how do you tell patients off, relatives would be in like a flash accusing you of allsorts. my favourite is " hes old he doesnt know what he is saying "

Oh Jazz im 100% with you there! I use to nurse aswell before hurting my knee. The old men were the worse by far! and i had the "big strong girl" one so many times.
I got very offended and don't think im wrong by doing so. Sometimes the staff use to hurt aswell... "Oh don't worry Sheila, Alex is big, she won't drop you!". *Shudder*

I have a few probably but the most recent ones I can remember the best.

I travel to work and back every day, and I used to take the bus (I take the train now - and always get one of the airline seats so I don't have to sit next to anyone). One night the bus was really busy, and the seat I was on had the seatbelts on, which takes up extra room on both seats. The journey is like 1 hour 10 minutes on the bus.

An older man came on and sat next to me, presumably no other seats, and said "You are going to have to move your fat arms I can't read my paper". So I sat leaning forward the whole way home, and was so upset I had to call the CDC the VERY next day. I mean it was totally uncomfortable and no one would ever have expected anyone else to sit like that, but because I felt so fat and usless I did it without complaining.

Second one is easy, my mother in law to be said "Where are you going to get a dress, do they sell wedding dresses in Evans, or my friend could make you one?"

I think she didn't intend to be horrible, but I felt like rubbish.

Infact she is great at insults

"You are really good at losing weight when you want to" (yep, aren't we all??)

"You and me are both going to have to go on a diet, I am so fat" (yep, all of a size 16 I reckon, REALLY fat....)

Doesn't help that her 2 daughters (my bridesmaids) are a size 8 and 10 respectively.

And finally at work, people try to be helpful, like telling me all the latest diets and stuff, but that just makes me feel awful about myself too.

Hmmf I am feeling more motivated already!!!

I have a few probably but the most recent ones I can remember the best.

I travel to work and back every day, and I used to take the bus (I take the train now - and always get one of the airline seats so I don't have to sit next to anyone). One night the bus was really busy, and the seat I was on had the seatbelts on, which takes up extra room on both seats. The journey is like 1 hour 10 minutes on the bus.

An older man came on and sat next to me, presumably no other seats, and said "You are going to have to move your fat arms I can't read my paper". So I sat leaning forward the whole way home, and was so upset I had to call the CDC the VERY next day. I mean it was totally uncomfortable and no one would ever have expected anyone else to sit like that, but because I felt so fat and usless I did it without complaining.

Second one is easy, my mother in law to be said "Where are you going to get a dress, do they sell wedding dresses in Evans, or my friend could make you one?"

I think she didn't intend to be horrible, but I felt like rubbish.

Infact she is great at insults

"You are really good at losing weight when you want to" (yep, aren't we all??)

"You and me are both going to have to go on a diet, I am so fat" (yep, all of a size 16 I reckon, REALLY fat....)

Doesn't help that her 2 daughters (my bridesmaids) are a size 8 and 10 respectively.

And finally at work, people try to be helpful, like telling me all the latest diets and stuff, but that just makes me feel awful about myself too.

Hmmf I am feeling more motivated already!!!

Mother in Law tales, now I could write a book on the things she has said over the last 6 years! The best one was when me and OH were going to be getting married, and I was on LL, and she started off by saying 'oh yes, she's losing weight, very proud, etc etc', then finished off by saying 'wait til the wedding, she'll be in front of that cake in binge mode!', and didn't really think that that was innappropriate. Did I mention she's a size 10? Or that when I was still a size 20 she bought me a size 10 top for christmas 'by mistake'?!!!

One of my most embarrassing moments NOT involving psycho-chops was at work when an old dear patted my tummy and asked me when the little one was due!!!

I'm ashamed of myself
embarrased that I can't lose this weight I've gained
embarresed that I keep coming back but nothing ever changes
and embarresed that I can't spell embaressed!!

Oi lady - if you're 'embarrassed' (always the teacher, me! lol) then I am too.

My weight is up and down like a yo-yo! I can't explain it - just sometimes I go through phases of wanting to eat everything in sight, then one morning I wake up (like today) and think - no more!

I think we just have to accept that it's going to be an everyday struggle and that lessons learned have to be re-learned over and over again.

For some people, it's easier to maintain than others - just one of life's unfairnesses - like slim people who can eat what they want, when they want, as much as they want.

I have to accept that I'm not one of those lucky people and that I'm never going to be able to weigh the same day after day. Swings and roundabouts. At least we know that we have the tools to lose weight when we're in the right headset to do so - that's something!

xxxxx

I can't really think of any embarrassing moments, although I think over time I was most professional at never putting myself in a potential nightmare moment. What I mean is, I would never even attempt to squeeze in a McDonalds chair with the fixed table, avoid all non Florida theme park rides like the plague etc.

As a man, I think we get treated (to our faces at least!) differently. Frankly, I am not a violent man, but if somebody had said to me what some of you good ladies of Minimins have endured, the person would still be looking for their teeth.

Arh, but Mrs Brad (bless her) has just reminded me of an incident in a pizza hut. I was testing out their "all you can eat" lunchtime buffet menu (or challenge as I used to consider it :D) when a little girl of about six said "look at that man's fat tummy". What was funny was, I looked behind me to see who she was talking about :eek: :sigh: :eek: :sigh: - alas, it was me. I was only on my 19th slice of pizza and that little brat almost put me off my garlic bread and ice cream factory, but not quite.

To be honest though, even though these type of incidents people have described have truly been horrid and incredibly hurtful, I am sure they have in a positive way contributed to us all taking that first step to a healthier and hopefully longer life. So, in a round about way, these thickies (not the child I hasten to add) have actually done us all a favour. If the world was completely tolerant and embraced obesity, we would probably have not lost or been in the process of losing the weight in the first place.

I'll stop now, I feel as though I have written a novel :character00148:

Blimey, Brad - that must be your longest post ever! Think you need to go and have a little lie down now lol!!

But seriously, though, hun - you speak wise words, Oh great one!

And Eric likes ya Spongebob sig, so he's got his priorities right! xxxxxxxx

I also would avoid all situations where I would feel embarrased, we always drove through at mc`ds instaed of trying to get in at a table. I didnt even contemplate getting on the free fair rides on holiday I just sat on the sidelines...peed off because of all the fun I was missing out on.

I could write a BOOK about embarrassing moments and hurtful comments - but the strange thing is, I have had them for years and it seems like my weight was almost irrelevant! (I say that because I have put on 7 stones in the past 14 years - and at 5'11, 7 stones ago I wasnt exactly THAT huge - about 13 stones - anyway!
When I was getting married a woman at my work said "Ooh I hope you aren't getting married in white - that would make you look even more enormous!" Also on the wedding vein - I went into a shop and asked the assistant (quietly) if they had any larger sized dresses eg size 18 and she SHOUTED at the top of her lungs across the packed shop "Hey Jeanie, whats the name of that company that makes the enormous dresses?!?!" Needless to say I slunk out and didn't darken the door of another shop - had the damn dress made for me instead.
When I was a student I asked a very tall handsome rugby playing type to excuse me so I could squeeze past him on my way to the loo... he obviously thought I was trying to chat him up because he looked at me and said " F***k off, I don't talk to fat birds"... whereupon I slapped him, threw my pint in his face and kneed him in the cojones before fleeing in tears. Didnt venture out for weeks afterwards. Another time I asked a guy to dance and he said "No thanks I dont dance with fat birds" - I replied "I was only asking you to dance, not to have your children and anyway you are ugly, have a big nose and a receding hairline but that didnt stop me asking you to dance , did it?" He ended up apologising. A friend of my sisters said to me - "Is your husband heavy as well?" I replied "No - is your husband thick as well?" So you see I am exactly shy when it comes to speaking my mind - but these things still HURT hurt hurt.... anyway enough for now -
Mrs Pink

well I have had lots of comments/arguments over the years...but my problem is I cant just take it lying down, it always turns into a slanging match, I will not take it from anyone!!
as for that man on the bus saying move your fat arms.....boy what i would have done with that paper i can tell ya:eek:
actually a big plus side of losing weight is it may cut down on my number of arguments with random strangers on buses

ps im not aggressive by the way just assertive haha

Ha ha Mrs Pink, you are hilarious, wish I was as quick witted as you!!!!!

Back