Motivation, and meals to share with partner!

Lauren.B

Hi all!

I have a really random question and maybe there is already a thread but I can't find it if there is :( so at the moment I'm on my 3rd week and I'm still really motivated with SW and it's literally all I think about, like my boyfriend thinks I've gone completely loopy and he is fed up of our slimming world dinners now! :( - but that doesn't mean I'm giving up!

...Either I am a REALLY bad cook, or he just doesn't like the food lol! So, I've told him I am sticking to this for my health and nothing is stopping me from giving up, he is complaining that I'm feeding him rabbit food! (I'm really not! Have you ever had a rabbit that had steak and chips twice in one week?) I think he is just being stroppy because I won't cook him a microwave meal lol! So my question(s) Do you have any recipes you could share or point me in the direction of googling, something that he would like which is not watery or anything I could add to stuff like curries which isn't watery? I find that stock makes things very very watery :( I mainly stick to completely free meals at the moment unless there's a small syn in something. I honestly just think I'm a bad cook!

Oh one more thing is, where I can I will cook the food and then take my portion out, and then continue to cook the rest of the food for him his way so sauces galore and butter (hmpf) so I already try that where I can :) Does anyone else have the problem? If not then I really am a bad cook lol.

My second question, is how do you stay motivated? or how long do you find you stay motivated? I find that group keeps me going and I just love going and hearing everyone's stories and the image therapy and also going to the gym is keeping me motivated I'm just scared that my motivation will wear off and I will slip back into my old pre SW ways and gain back the weight I have lost so far! Maybe I need some SW friends ;) I'm not loopy, honest :D

Lauren xx

I must be horrible, because if my husband complained about the meals I was cooking, I'd point him to the kitchen and tell him to make his own! :D If he is really yearning for a microwave meal, could you not just leave him to it, every now and then?

I'm sure you're not a bad cook! <hugs> I do personally find that some of the SW recipes are quite watery, particularly the curries - so I either use less water (just crumble a stock cube in to the recipe, rather than adding the 250ml stock, or similar) or cook it for longer to thicken it up.

I am not sure I am allowed to link to websites here yet as I am new, but google Slimming Eats and there's a really good recipe blog with lots of yummy meals to try. Everything I've cooked from there has turned out well. The Slimming World website is also packed with recipes if you go to group - if you like curry, the Curry Heaven recipe book from class is great. Could you not, say, do him extra sides? Like, if you're having a simple curry and rice, he could have a shop-bought naan/samosas to go with it. Or if there's pasta, he could have garlic bread & extra cheese.

Try other things like Burgers, kebab loafs and maybe stews and slow-cooked items.
You can slow cook things like beef to make fake burritos or make other things such as pulled pork which you could put on Sandwiches.

Pasta bakes are still very possible.

If your curries are turning out watery, try converting it into a Pilaf and you can bake any excess water out of your curry and also fluff your rice up.

lol I'm with dreamrabbit, I'd be pointing him to the kitchen!

For motivation I come on here a lot. I also read the success stories on the SW website and look at the inspirational photos thread on here. I figure that if so many different people in so many different circumstances can do it, then I must be able to as well!

I've bought a pretty summer dress 2 sizes smaller than I am currently for my holiday to Spain in August, which hangs on the outside of my wardrobe and gives my willpower a kick every time I go in the bedroom!

I've also taken all the clothes I have that are too small at the moment, hung them on my curtain rail, taken a photo I can look at when I'm struggling (there are some lovely things I can't fit into any more) and then hidden them all away under my bed. Once I've lost another stone half of them should fit me again, and I imagine how much fun I'm going to have getting them out and trying them all on!

Do you have a morrisons near you? They do reduced fat cumberland sausages that are only a syn each. So you could have sausage and mash and he wouldn't be able to tell the difference with that one. The sausages don't taste reduced fat at all - I've given them to all my family and no ones noticed!

If all he wants is a microwave meal, surely he can manage the 4 minutes it takes to go into the kitchen, press start, and then open the door again ;)

Get him told!! haha. Good luck xx

I must be horrible, because if my husband complained about the meals I was cooking, I'd point him to the kitchen and tell him to make his own! :D If he is really yearning for a microwave meal, could you not just leave him to it, every now and then?

Haha I have done this too, on valentines night I told him if he would prefer to not have his dinner cooked for him then he can make his own! He didn't like that! I do sometimes leave him to it, Mondays are SW group night and it runs quite late so I usually tell him to get himself a pizza and have a night off haha! :D I'm new too so I can't do much either :) I will have a look for the blog though thanks :D I've printed off about 1 million recipes from the SW website, I really like them and I find them tasty but definitely watery! I will try adding less stock or do what you said to put the stock into the recipe instead! I think that's his main problem with it really that its watery for him, maybe I could let him off and let him have a microwave meal too haha I just wish I had his 100% support with this but I will have a go and see how it goes :)

Do you have a morrisons near you? They do reduced fat cumberland sausages that are only a syn each. So you could have sausage and mash and he wouldn't be able to tell the difference with that one. The sausages don't taste reduced fat at all - I've given them to all my family and no ones noticed!

If all he wants is a microwave meal, surely he can manage the 4 minutes it takes to go into the kitchen, press start, and then open the door again ;)

Get him told!! haha. Good luck xx

I have a Morrisons sort of near me but I'm always at my boyfriends house and he lives in the middle of nowhere so it's Tesco or Waitrose for us when we're there:( Maybe I could pop in next time i'm home and take them to his to cook, he probably wouldn't notice! You would think it would be eeeeasy for him to just go and do it all himself but I'm too nice to him so I think he's so used to having his dinner made and brought to him, usually he's like "Lauren's making dinner!" I joke to him and say if I weren't around he just wouldn't eat ;) (I know he's just lazy really haha) :p

lol I'm with dreamrabbit, I'd be pointing him to the kitchen!

For motivation I come on here a lot. I also read the success stories on the SW website and look at the inspirational photos thread on here. I figure that if so many different people in so many different circumstances can do it, then I must be able to as well!

I've bought a pretty summer dress 2 sizes smaller than I am currently for my holiday to Spain in August, which hangs on the outside of my wardrobe and gives my willpower a kick every time I go in the bedroom!

I've also taken all the clothes I have that are too small at the moment, hung them on my curtain rail, taken a photo I can look at when I'm struggling (there are some lovely things I can't fit into any more) and then hidden them all away under my bed. Once I've lost another stone half of them should fit me again, and I imagine how much fun I'm going to have getting them out and trying them all on!

The clothes idea is great! I do have a pair of trousers which I bought last year and they are too small but I didn't send them back hoping I would lose weight so I hope I can get into them soon, I can use them as extra motivation :D I love those trousers :( haha That will be amazing when you can try them all on! It will feel great! I'm going to try my trousers on after I have lost my first 1 stone and see if I can get them on :D

I do a lot of testing of SW meals with a consultant friend who likes to try things out of the magazines and books so she can recommend them to her members (or not).

We nearly always find there is too much liquid and now we start off with about half and see how we get on - you can always add a bit more. If something needs thickening we often use cornflour as that can be used at the end of a recipe by mixing it with a little cold water and stirring it in until it thickens. OK, it adds a few syns, but worth it.

On other threads, people are saying nice things about the new SW/Iceland sausages, so perhaps you could try those.

If you weren't there, what would he do - starve? No, thought not! He is perfectly capable of feeding himself, so introduce him politely to the microwave ("it's that oblong white thing in the corner") and tell him to get on with it!

Check out the recipe section on here, loads of good ideas! Here are two threads I have found particularly helpful: Kathy's thread: http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/317773-delicious-meals-minimum-ingredients.html Pete's thread: http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/250434-petes-recipe-book.html Also, try the Leek and Macaroni Cheese Bake from the last but one SW mag - proper stodgy comfort food, not watery at all and absolutely delicious!
thank you I will take a look at these threads :D

On other threads, people are saying nice things about the new SW/Iceland sausages, so perhaps you could try those. If you weren't there, what would he do - starve? No, thought not! He is perfectly /QUOTE]

I'm definitely going to be trying the new SW sausages v v v exciting especially as I heard they are completely free? :D and I'm so glad everyone agrees with me about the boyfriend and the microwave situation lol! I'm just too nice and do all the cooking and everything for him haha isn't he just a lucky one :/ lol

I too would tell him to make his own if my cooking wasn't good enough - last time my OH complained about a meal I took the plate off him and emptied it into the bin! He hasn't complained since, lol.

In regards to wateriness, most of the time adding mashed potato and/or cauliflower to a dish will thicken it. Also, if it's gravy you're after, try water with a stock cube and throw some mushrooms and onions into it. When the veg are soft, put it all in a food processor and blend the whole lot together - makes a lovely thick tasty gravy.

As for motivation, have you considered setting yourself mini-goals and planning specific non-food rewards for reaching them? Works for me - I'm just 2lbs away from a lovely pair of purple Ugg slippers now!

On other threads, people are saying nice things about the new SW/Iceland sausages, so perhaps you could try those. If you weren't there, what would he do - starve? No, thought not! He is perfectly /QUOTE]

I'm definitely going to be trying the new SW sausages v v v exciting especially as I heard they are completely free? :D and I'm so glad everyone agrees with me about the boyfriend and the microwave situation lol! I'm just too nice and do all the cooking and everything for him haha isn't he just a lucky one :/ lol

Well, no, I don't think that someone who has everything done for them is lucky, really. They may think so, but sooner or later we all have to do things for ourselves. And people who have had things done for them then find out that they can't manage.

Well, no, I don't think that someone who has everything done for them is lucky, really. They may think so, but sooner or later we all have to do things for ourselves. And people who have had things done for them then find out that they can't manage.

Love this!

Unless he's genuinely useless and would rather starve than cook for himself he's probably just being lazy, and I'm afraid I'd leave him to cook for himself! Maybe next time just cook for yourself and if he asks where his is, tell him exactly why you've not bothered!

Motivation wise, before I went to America and was almost at my target, I hung up a dress on my wardrobe in the bedroom and another one on the kitchen door, so I saw then when I woke up, and when I went to raid the fridge, it definitely put me off snacking, I might do it again actually!

Ha...my husband knows better than to complain about my cooking...he knows I would tell him to do it himself!!
We don't always eat the same though as he likes pies and stuff like that so I do cook different meals often for us. And that's not just because I eat 'diet' food but we just have really different tastes in food. I love curry, he really doesn't like spicy food. So when I cook myself curry, I'll do him a meal he likes! Things like roasts and shepherds pie etc obviously we both eat.
I know some people wouldn't dream of cooking separate meals and its a case of 'like it or lump it' but honestly, if I'm in the kitchen and the oven is on, I don't have a problem...
Plus, he will cook for himself or both of us so its not like I am pandering to him ;)

Check out the recipe section on here, loads of good ideas! Here are two threads I have found particularly helpful:

Kathy's thread: http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/317773-delicious-meals-minimum-ingredients.html

Pete's thread: http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/250434-petes-recipe-book.html

Also, try the Leek and Macaroni Cheese Bake from the last but one SW mag - proper stodgy comfort food, not watery at all and absolutely delicious!

Aww, thanks for promoting us, jogirl! :)

For your info, Lauren, Pete's thread has lovely colour photos but mine, sadly, doesn't, cos I'm rubbish with technology! :D Anyway, hope you find them both useful and welcome to Mini's, where you'll find all the motivation and support you could ever need! Good luck.

Kathy x

Thank you everyone :D i'm hoping to make a chicken curry tonight so I'm going to try adding blended cauliflower to the sauce to thicken it up as I saw this on someone's recipe for curry mmm! I think for a mini goal for me I would like a new bikini for my holiday so if I lose 1.5 stone by May-june then I shall treat myself! My boyfriends mum also told me last night that she promises me a new outfit if I lose a stone so I'm very much looking forward to that! Motivation for me is still high at the moment!

The clothes idea is great! I do have a pair of trousers which I bought last year and they are too small but I didn't send them back hoping I would lose weight so I hope I can get into them soon, I can use them as extra motivation :D I love those trousers :( haha That will be amazing when you can try them all on! It will feel great! I'm going to try my trousers on after I have lost my first 1 stone and see if I can get them on :D

I put on a pear of jeans this morning that had gotten to tight to go over my thighs and they fit me! I love being able to wear old clothes i used to fit into, its like going shopping for free! thats my motivation :)

Back