Muso_Girl's journey to confidence and happiness ;-)

Muso_Girl

Hello!

I've posted elsewhere a couple of times but thought that keeping a diary might help me through the next few months.

I started my journey on the 3rd January with Lighterlife. I lost a stone in my first 4 weeks. I have subsequently swapped to Exante for financial reasons and I didn't really enjoy the group therapy sessions with LL. I have decided to do CBT therapy, one on one, alongside Exante and am starting sessions on Friday with a lovely lady who needed a case study for her NHS qualification so she isn't charging me for CBT! It can only help surely?!

I have been on TS for 5 days now and I have been concerned as I bought a batch of ketostix off the net and they have registered as beige every day so I have thought that I am not in ketosis yet. I also have a cold so I have no idea what I am tasting. Anyway, I am now thinking that maybe the sticks are faulty (apparently this can happen) as I weighed in today (my fifth weigh in) and I have lost 5lbs this week! Something is working even if it's not ketosis!

My start weight on the 3rd January was 14st 10lbs. Today I weigh 13st 3lbs.

A very happy start to Exante! :)

Hi Muso Girl :)

You've done really well with weight loss so far :) Well done! The first VLCD I ever tried was LL (about 8'ish years ago), and I still recall some of the CBT from then and still apply it these days. Found it really good. Thankfully the group I was in was excellent, and I found it a great support. Lost about 5 stones, but didn't quite make the 100 days as went to New York and things went wrong - OMG the Deli's! lol :D

Ketostix can be faulty, but also it could be that your body is utilising all the ketones you are making for fuel, or they could be very diluted from the water you are consuming, etc. Lots of reasons. If you are 100% you will be fat burning :)

Not long until the 12's for you :) Wonderful!

Thank you Jayne! I am really excited to get into the 12's! I'm hoping maybe next week!

Weirdly I tried a ketostix this morning and it registered as the first shade of pink. Maybe it just takes me longer to get into ketosis than I thought!

When I was low-carbing - I ate less than 20g carbs per day for many months - I never once turned the ketostik more than the palest pink. That's quite common and doesn't mean the stik is faulty or out of date. A pal of mine, on the other hand, went on Cambridge (about 45-60 carbs per day) and within three days was registering dark purple!

If you feel like you are in ketosis - appetite low, cravings gone, improved mood, more energy etc - then you probably are. Good luck Muso. Give it your best shot and keep posting x

Well, just a little diary update.....

It's been a really good week! Firstly, I had my first CBT session yesterday. It was very much an introductory session but she really pulled on some very valid reasons for my overeating and I was 100% honest with her about everything and we discussed a lot of things which I hadn't' even considered were an issue. I have my next appointment on Thursday so looking forward to continuing it. It is really important to me, now that I know the VLCD is working and that I can stick to it, that I have all of the tools that I need to go into maintenance when the time is right, change my attitude to food and keep the weight off.

But, all of that aside, this week has been the first week that people who haven't known about the dieting have noticed my weight loss. Firstly, on Wednesday I went to see my best friend from school, I hadn't seen her in two years and the first thing she said when she opened the door was "God you look skinny!". On Thursday I had coffee with another friend who I hadn't seen since starting the diet and she said "You look very thin!". I am not sure skinny and thin are the right words to describe me right now, but I'll take it!

Yesterday one of my orchestras was back at work for the first time since Christmas. Admittedly I have a new haircut and a lot of people commented on that, but nearly everyone said how fabulous I looked, that I was half the size I was before, where's your weight gone, how are you doing it, what diet are you on, you look hot... Etc etc.

I am not used to so many compliments! It got a bit much after a while to be honest!! But I did drive home with a massive grin on my face.

I can see the weight loss, but looking at myself every day I don't think it's that noticeable! Apparently it is!

There's no escaping it now, everybody knows I'm on a mission to lose weight so it's motivated me even more to keep going!

Weigh in tomorrow!

I'm delighted that you're doing so well. And feeling so much better!

You're a musician? How wonderful.

Having a structure to each day, food-wise, helps a lot. We can be chaotic around food, yet disciplined in most other areas! Good luck for your WI x

Yes I am a violinist. It is a great job, but it does mean that structure with food is a problem as I work strange hours and every day is different! One thing I really have to do is find the time to have a shake for breakfast before I leave the house. I have never been great at eating in the morning, but I know it will help.

I weighed in today. 4lbs off! I'm in the 12s finally! Can't quite believe it.

Next goal is to lose 3lbs this week. I will then have lost 2 stone in total and will be half way to my holiday weight goal with 10 weeks still to go!

(Aiming to have lost 4 stone by the time I go on holiday on the 2nd May)

Back