my Calorie Counting essentials

Discussion in 'Calorie Counting' started by RachBlue, 19 September 2011 Social URL.

1. RachBlue

RachBlue Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(9.36%)
    Diet:
    Cal Counting @ 1550cals / day + following Dr Stephen Gullo's theories about knowing your weaknesses
    This is my CC-ing kit, in case anyone's new to the idea & interested - please add your own if you have other "tools of the trade"!

Salter digital scales that add in 1g increments - important to be that detailed for things like butter, oils etc where going 3g out could be 24cals;

scrap paper held with a bulldog clip to note cals on foods as I'm cooking, plus its own pen - I use the back of letters and printed waste, torn into A6 size, this pad gets the occasional food/damp stain because I use it while cooking;

binder for noting my daily cals, lives in my front room, I got an A5 binder with a solar-powered calculator included, and added an A5 graph paper book, with a column for "Name:" (ie what I eat/drink) and a column for "N°s:" - the calories. I keep a 15cm ruler & a seperate pen in the binder so I never can't find one and let something slip, and I have columns for 3 days a page so I can see how I'm doing in general;

a couple of cal-counting books + (sorry to keep mentioning it! :D) The Calorie, Carb & Fat Bible book, which is huge and comprehensive;

a list of weights measured dry & empty for all the plates, bowls, saucepans etc I use - useful for things like canned toms, I can just empty them straight into a pan, pick out the stalks & skin etc, then weigh the pan and subtract it from the total, it felt a bit obsessive doing it but it actually saves faff in the long run;

bookmarks for other info, eg USDA food database, it has a lot of American-centric foods and offers measurement by "cups" but also thankfully by 100g, and it's useful to know amino acid breakdowns as well if you're into that;

a Word doc on my PC's desktop with cals & other info for things where I had to write to the manufacturer, eg Sainsbury's bakery loose jam doughnuts, a once-in-a-blue-moon thing if I have an early start, and also a quick-view of things I can have for under 100cals, eg a Milky Way bar or how many crackers & cheese, etc;

list of my winning recipes, or plans for certain types of days that have stood the test, in a nice A4 display book (with the clear pockets) from Rymans... :eek:

I think that's all my "must haves", of these only the scales & daily note book are essential I guess, but I get inspired when stuff looks great and love fancy notebooks etc, other people might be less into that stuff! :8855:

Also, I plan to keep CC-ing throughout maintenance, ie potentially permanently, so these are things I want to really work long term... ;)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. thatlittlebit

thatlittlebit Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    8st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st12lb(36.76%)
    Nice kit. I agree with the scales. I use the tare button a lot so I don't need to worry about bowl weight etc.

A lot of your kit is negated for me because I use myfitnesspal which has an awful lot of info on there. Apart from that, I don't have much stuff to do with calorie counting. Over the past few months I've learnt lots of counts off the top of my heads.

4. hannata

hannata I can haz cake?

Start Weight:
    280lb
    Current Weight:
    249.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    208.5lb
    Lost(%):
    31lb(11.07%)
    Diet:
    ADF
    iPhone with my fitness pal

kitchen scales (with tare)

polar FT4 heart rate monitor

5. bubblensqueak

bubblensqueak Loves Slimming world!!

Start Weight:
    18st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    16st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11.5lb(9.9%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Extra Easy
    Do u think my fitness pal is gd??

6. hannata

hannata I can haz cake?

Start Weight:
    280lb
    Current Weight:
    249.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    208.5lb
    Lost(%):
    31lb(11.07%)
    Diet:
    ADF
    i think its brilliant, it has a freakin barcode scanner...! *scan food...double check...add to day* I mean how much more simple could it be? Forget points/syns/free food, writing stuff down, subtracting or multiplying. :p

7. thatlittlebit

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    8st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st12lb(36.76%)
    My fitness pal, oh it is amazing! I dont know where I'd be without it. I used to have a spreadsheet with calories and was reluctant to move over but now I have I love it!

It's also good because even though I'm not, or wasn't, watching carbs, fat, protein etc it gives you the breakdown, so if you do want a better nutritional balance you have the possibility of being able to adjust it, rather than just calories. I only did this when my losses completely slowed down, well stopped.

8. redmel

redmel Dreamer

Start Weight:
    13st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st5lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Rachblue fantastic post x

My ESSENTIALS kit.

Salter digital kitchen scales.
    - self explanatory.

Pen and scraps of paper in the kitchen.
    - for jotting down qty of ingredients as I make a family meal, I am a 'lob it in' cook so pointless setting exact recipes up with calorie content etc.... The same dish could be made a thousand ways in my kitchen lol.

My mobile phone with my fitness pal app.
    - I record EVERYTHING on this app... I also use my phone as a calculator for adding up cals in a meal or dividing it by how many portions i need. Plus using my phone to google anything like recipes, calorie contents IF not on myfitness pal and to access minimins for support and inspiration.

They are my three essentials x

9. surfinbernard

surfinbernard Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st11lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11lb(23.64%)
    MFP on computer and android app- fab!
    Digital kitchen scales
    Roller skates, helmet and pads (sorry couldn't resist, but I do have them haha)

10. iwillsoonbeslim

iwillsoonbeslim Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st11lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(15.61%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting with the help of Myfitnesspal!
    MFP app; HRM; water :)
    Simples :)
    I do agree with the scales, obviously, but could MUCH easier go without scales than go without MFP :D

11. Squeezyweezy

Squeezyweezy Gold Member

Diet:
    Being healthy
    MFP - love it, couldn't cc without it
    Kitchen scales - I don't religiously weigh everything, but couldn't do without them.
    Minimins - the support is priceless, have some great friends.

12. Wickedwitch74

Wickedwitch74 Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st9lb
    Current Weight:
    16st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    4st8lb(22.15%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting and healthy eating
    Wow ! we could be long lost twins! ha ha!

i use lots of pretty notebooks and nice pens to write down my favourite healthy recipes....i have a thing for stationary!

i also calculate my calories in the kitchen...and i find it easier to use my little white board and marker pen on the back on my cupboard door!

that way i can erase all my calculations after every meal! saves paper i guess!

i also keep a file on my laptop with pre-calculated calories of snacks and small meals to save me recalculating every time or looking stuff up in my calorie data base!

i also keep a separate list of pre-calculated calories for things that have to be made up...for example x amount of gravy granules in x amount of water = x amount of calories!

my other essential items are...

my digital weighing scales to measure precisely per gram

my actifry cooker - i cook most all my veggies and oven chips in it without any kind of oil or spray

my hallogen oven...great for cooking chicken and other meats from frozen...which saves me from having to choose a less healthy option if i forget to take meat out to defrost in the morning!

my i-phone - great for looking up calories on mfp while out and about....great for using the calculator to add up what i am eating when on the go...i even have an app for the harvester restaurants so that if one of my friends suggests a ladies lunch i can work out what i can have within my calorie allowance before we even get to the restaurant!

i think thats it!!! these are the main pieces of my calorie counting kit anyway!

13. ChubLock

ChubLock Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.44%)
    Diet:
    SW/5:2
    Minimins, MFP and my 5g increment scales are my three top tools :)

14. Wish

Wish Silver Member

Start Weight:
    100.7kg
    Current Weight:
    64.9kg
    Goal Weight:
    70.8kg
    Lost(%):
    35.8kg(35.59%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting/Low Fat
    MFP
    Kitchen Scales
    Exercise Bike
    BMI Scales

15. thatlittlebit

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    8st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st12lb(36.76%)
    What are BMI scles? Just calculate your bmi for you?

16. happyhippo

happyhippo Silver Member

Start Weight:
    10st5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Good morning all - my tools are mfp on my phone, minimins on phone or pc, scales although i really need to use them more :rolleyes:

17. Liverbird52

Liverbird52 Gold Member

My lifesavers mfp, minimins, kitchen scales,weighing scales, calorie counter books, e.g rosemary conly or the food bible

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. kwardy

kwardy Member

Start Weight:
    77.6kg
    Current Weight:
    77.6kg
    Goal Weight:
    66.7kg
    Lost(%):
    0kg(0%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    I just came online to ask if you guys have any tips on how to calorie count and not lose track of what you have eaten. Have now signed up for MyFitnessPal! Thank you for sharing this info!

:thankyou:

20. Wish

Wish Silver Member

Start Weight:
    100.7kg
    Current Weight:
    64.9kg
    Goal Weight:
    70.8kg
    Lost(%):
    35.8kg(35.59%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting/Low Fat

Yeah the scales I have give me my weight, height, BMI, water content, fat content, bone density:cool:

21. RachBlue

RachBlue Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(9.36%)
    Diet:
    Cal Counting @ 1550cals / day + following Dr Stephen Gullo's theories about knowing your weaknesses
    That sounds fascinating - can you tell me what make they are please, or anything about where you got them? :)

22. thatlittlebit

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    8st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st12lb(36.76%)
    How do they do your height?!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.