My CD journey from start to finish

OOOOHHHHHHH, Josan, HK, my dream place, I loved it there, Mind you at 6' 1" I was a giant, I used to tower over everyone on the MTR. LOL

I lived on Pilgrims way (Gai Pak A Sando) in Kowloon Tong. Ah, I love Hong Kong. Paradise on earth. I haven't been back since we handed it over in '97. I'm scared to go back in case it's changed.

Jim, I went back in Aug-98 and Dec-08 and it hasn't changed that much to be honest. Hong Kong still very much has it's own style. I think many Hong Kongers were afraid that China would start imposing rules on the HKG way of life, but it doesn't look like it.

I stayed in a hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui when I was there in Dec-08. Only 5 mins away from Harbour City shopping mall! I love Hong Kong....the only thing I didn't like was the amount of people there. I felt like I was being carried by the swarm of people everywhere I walked!

You should go back there, Jim! The plane tickets are quite cheap now. Although the currency rates are not as good as they used to be! They were $16 HKD = £1 GBP at one point. Now it's only about $11 HKD = £1 GBP if you're lucky!

PS: I just worked out why you put "Josan" on your post....doh! Hee hee! Good morning to you too!!! :D Do you speak the language, Jim?!

Hi Lisa, I picked up a little Cantonese, enough to order food and drink, but It's all gone now really. I suppose that makes me a Cheesie Gwailo :)

We are going back, Colleen and I plan to have a 2 week holiday in 2011, 1 week in Hong Kong and 1 week in Singapore to go and visit all our old haunts. Those that survive that is. :)

Hi Lisa, I picked up a little Cantonese, enough to order food and drink, but It's all gone now really. I suppose that makes me a Cheesie Gwailo :)

We are going back, Colleen and I plan to have a 2 week holiday in 2011, 1 week in Hong Kong and 1 week in Singapore to go and visit all our old haunts. Those that survive that is. :)

Aww....that sounds lovely, Jim! HKG is a place which constantly changes though...depends how long ago you last went back! I don't know how many "old haunts" will get through the global recession!

Ha ha ha! "Gwailo"! Do you know what that literally means?! It means "Ghost Person" literally. At least you know the word "Gwailo" so you know when people are talking about you!!!

Wow, you can order food in HKG! That's really good! If you told me you could read it as well, I'd be even more impressed! :D

I'd love to visit Singapore. Also Tokyo, Shanghai (I've been to Bei Jing but not SH) and Seoul. I'd love to visit more cities in Asia...

and Cheesie means crazy Lisa, I got called that a lot :D

Seoul is great as well, I absolutely love the Far East, I had a great job, I covered HK, Singapore, Korea and Malaysia so got to do some real travelling and lived in great places.

and Cheesie means crazy Lisa, I got called that a lot :D

Seoul is great as well, I absolutely love the Far East, I had a great job, I covered HK, Singapore, Korea and Malaysia so got to do some real travelling and lived in great places.

Cheesie?! You mean "Chee Seen"?!! Haaa haaa haa!!! Yes, "chee seen" means crazy! People really called you a "Chee Seen Gwailo"?!! That's not very nice! But Hong Kongers are quite direct! They probably said it in Chinese, thinking you didn't understand...that's the "polite" side of them! :D

What job did you used to do, Jim? I'd love to have a job that involved travelling around Asia. I speak Cantonese, but I'm trying to learn Mandarin at the moment (finding it very difficult).

I was in the Army originally Lisa, that's when I first went to Singapore and then Hong Kong, Later I was IT Projects Director (Far East) for a big international. Great Job and I loved it. We were based in Singapore, but I also had company apartments in Seoul, KL and HK.

You can't beat living somewhere as opposed to tourism for really getting to know places and people.

That and the food, which was my downfall. LOL

Ha ha! You felt tall at 5ft 2"?! Imagine being 5ft 8" and over 14st! Not the typical slim Asian girl....well, not in Hong Kong anyway.

Have you been back to HKG recently? I went back in Dec-08 to visit my family (have uncles, aunts and cousins over there). Where about's in HKG is your mum from?

To be honest, one of the reasons why I really wanted to lose weight this time around was because of my trip to Hong Kong. I had a lovely time seeing family, sight-seeing and eating food etc but I really wanted to go clothes shopping. I avoided it cos I knew I wouldn't fit into anything. I swore to myself that when I am there next time, I will go shopping!

Dim sum is my favourite! Omg...so many tasty dishes! :D

Do you speak the language, Serena?

Hello

Sorry for the late reply!

Not entirely sure where my mum is from to be honest :eek: somewhere near Tsim Sha Tsui I think. I haven't been since 1989 because the family moved to Toronto a year or two after that because of the Chinese handover. Sadly I don't speak Chinese, can only understand the odd thing as my gwai lo father ;) just wanted us to focus on speaking English correctly. I can understand the odd snippet though, "yum cha" being my favourite! :D

I am sure you will wow your family next time you visit them :)

OOOOHHHHHHH, Josan, HK, my dream place, I loved it there, Mind you at 6' 1" I was a giant, I used to tower over everyone on the MTR. LOL

I lived on Pilgrims way (Gai Pak A Sando) in Kowloon Tong. Ah, I love Hong Kong. Paradise on earth. I haven't been back since we handed it over in '97. I'm scared to go back in case it's changed.

Hi Cheesie Jim :D

I think my life must be stalking yours in some kind of parallel universe type thing (minus the stint in the army LOL).

As well as the HK connection I remember reading in one of your threads that you once lived in Folkestone and Hythe of which I've also lived in both, sorry to quote such a cliche but it really is such a scarily small world!

Reactions: Jim
Josan Serena, hey lo ma?

That is strange isn't it, what a coincidence. I liked Folkstone, I lived in a flat on Bouverie Road west. Great place to live, well it was in the '60's.

Yum Cha indeed I'm drinking mine now. :D

Cheesie Gwai lo

Josan Serena, hey lo ma?

That is strange isn't it, what a coincidence. I liked Folkstone, I lived in a flat on Bouverie Road west. Great place to live, well it was in the '60's.

Yum Cha indeed I'm drinking mine now. :D

Cheesie Gwai lo

Hey lo ma? Lost me there... (or is that lei ho ma?? In which case "gai ho" I think!!)

I live just outside Folkestone now, I expect it's changed loads since you were there (I've only lived round these parts since 1994 so not sure) but I do like the area :)

youve done really fantastic serena, loved reading your story, i too am on sole source plus, 2 shakes, 1 bar and a 200 cal meal and have lost 17lb in 3 weeks.

ah yes, got it the wrong way round. LOL

:hijack:

Just realised, sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread love. :)

I cant see your pics but sounds like you did amazingly well. I start on CD tomorrow.

Hi Serena A! I just wanted to say how fantastic you look - amazing! Our stats are incredibly similar - same height, goal ,starting weight etc and if I can look anywhere near as good as you at 9 stone I will be one very happy lady!! Well done!

Don't know about that Tom, but I lost well over a 100 on Atkins mate.

Well done. You've done so well. What an inspiration. :)

Well done, you look so gorgeous!!

Back