My Harcombe plan diary

Have you tried really dark chocolate? I'm a chocoholic but I've found 70% dark choc fulfills the need but I don't need much. I have a few squares and I'm done.

Yes I think it was the 90% chocolate I had what got me started on my sugar binge! I think I will steer clear for a few weeks until I am back on track again.

How are you getting on?

I am getting back on track. The pee stick turned pink, so I am back into fat burning. Plus I have noticed when I get back into it for the first fee nights I find it difficult to get into a deep sleep. I dream a lot more than usual and wake up several times a night. Beside the feelings associated with lack of a good nights sleep, I am feeling great.. I have energy and not feeling hungry at all.

I have also been experimenting with foods from the recipe book. I made the cheese sauce yesterday and poured it over some veg )leeks, carrot and cabbage), looked so disgusting, but actually so tasty I made it again tonight to go with my pork chops.

Glad you are getting back on track. I'm getting a bit disillusioned with the diet to be honest. Week three and Im looking at no loss this week. I'm giving it til Saturday then if there's no loss I'll just go back to calorie counting. I do know the diet work for people who eat mostly protein meals but that's basically Atkins and I don't get on well with that. So I dunno.

I think it is a common problem with this diet. In phase 1 people tend to lose a lot of weight in 5 days, but do continue to lose weight if they continue the phase. Once they start to introduce new foods into their diet (as in phase 2) their weight either stays the same or even increases. The advice given is to introduce one new food every 2 days so you can identify the food causing the problem. I know for me it is bread. It makes me hold water. If I stop eating the bread for a day or 2 then the weight drops again. For someone else it could be dairy or even things like tomatoes.

I do understand your frustration. I find it hard when I started off so well, I am eating the foods advised in the book and my weight remains static. I want to learn to listen to my body. Last week I ate foods not on the diet food list!! I had such a stomache ache afterwards, however it didn't stop me!

I hope you have success this week!

Well.. WI today.. I have put on 2 ½ lbs!

I have noticed some positives though. I have lost a dress size. In fact 2 pairs of my trousers look so baggy on me I have had to put them to one side (ready to take to the charity shop!) Also my skin is noticeably softer and smoother. I have always suffered from quite dry skin..not anymore. People have commented on my hair, asking me if I have just had it done. It is definitely more shiny.

I am going to carry on with the diet I feel good, not hungry AT ALL.

I haven’t slept very well this week, my daughter has been poorly. Normally I head straight for the sugar to keep myself going through the day. Although the cravings have been there.. I have resisted and I feel so much better for not bingeing. I just make sure I don’t miss a meal and have foods planned.
On with the next week!

I'm so glad to find your diary, I just got the book and wondered if there was anyone out there doing it successfully. Good luck

Hi Welshbrummie, I have been following THP for a couple of months now and am feeling great. After the initial weight loss from phase 1 it has been slow going, but I have realised it is no quick fix, more of a lifetime change. I am starting to feel what my body is intolerant to, bread definitely makes me bloat and hold water. If I do eat it, I weigh more the next day, but if I cut it out then my weight drops again. It is about understanding which foods hinder your weight loss, which can be really frustrating, especially if you are following the plan and your weight remains static. I think this is why many people give up. I know I have felt like giving up many times, but the book makes so much sense, there aren’t any other options for me if I give up.
Good luck.. keep posting, I look forward to hear how you get on!

I'm a couple of weeks in now and very gradually adding foods - porrage last wk, dairy this wk. I'm staying away from the scales at the moment because impatience could ruin all the good work that i'm doing. Already my skin is improved, the weight will come off in it's own time as long as i stick at it.
I dont know if you are aware of the Harcombe Forum. I't great - lots of success stories and support from very knowledgable (spelling?) people, as well as questions answered by Zoe herself. www.theharcombedietclub.com

Hi welshbrummie, yes I have seen the website and have found it very helpful, especially as my weight has remained static. Sfter reading the posts on there I have decided to go back to phase 1 to kick start the weight loss and cut out everything else I have added. I do think I have a problem with dairy so plan to be very careful, maybe try the lactose free milk to start.

I too have put away the scales for the moment and plan to weigh myself just once a week.

Good luck

Doh! i weighed this morning and after 2wks on phase 1, have gained 2lb. Clearly i'm doing something wrong.:sigh:

Maybe it's because prior to this i'd lost half a stone on lipotrim - 430cal/day....

Or maybe it's because i'm greedy, and when zoe says unlimited, i literally apply no limits!
Introduced cheese & cream in the last couple of days - will have to watch that.
Also, havent quite managed to cut out caffine yet.

So! i know what to do....better go do it:eek:

Oh it is so disheartening isn’t it? When you have been following it 100% and you don’t see the desired effect! I know it is difficult to see high fat foods as being 100% ok with this diet..it really is. However, Zoe does warn about intolerances, that if you find yourself craving for a particular food such as cheese, it is likely you are intolerant to it. Stay away from it for a while. Good luck!
I had complements from 2 different people today saying I had lost weight and how great I was looking. That is great motivation!!

Thought I would do a quick check in. I ate 3 (quite large) cookies at the weekend after having no wheat and hardly any sugar for the past few weeks. I felt awful afterwards; headache, bloated stomach. I am only just learning to associate foods to feeling unwell after many years of eating until I felt sick. I am hoping to change the way I view foods. Don’t get me wrong, I still wouldn’t mind a bar of chocolate or cakes even if it does make me feel ill. I just need to reprogram my brain!

I have lost a further 3lbs this week... getting there slowly...

Hi, I started this diet yesterday (although not doing it properly until Thursday as heading for a midweek girlie break tomorrow!) It feels achievable and I hope it works for me. I suffer from episodes of bloating, gas and IBS so thi would bf a godsend!

Good luck!

Hello. I've stocked up to start Phase 1 on Monday and am really excited. I bought the book after reading an article about someone who followed the HD before Christmas and for the first time in ages I'm almost daring to feel hopeful. I've become more and more ill over the last year. I've been off work for a few months, am taking medication for depression, having endless tests for dizziness, loss of vision, nausea and a variety of other really debilitating symptoms. I'm not that old, early 50s, and yet I struggle to get through every day. Zoe seems to know me! I'm more than 3 stone overweight, have been on every diet known to woman, have a garage full of equipment, a house full of dvds and books and I'm heavier now than I've ever been in my life. I'm determined to give this a go - the theory makes sense. I'm so hoping that it works for me.

Hi Therealme, I did THP for 3 months. I had really good results initially, but lost motivation, and suffered really badly with sugar binges. I hated myself for them, it disgusted me!! I managed to keep 9lbs off after losing 1 stone, but I could see a pattern of yo-yoing which I felt was not good for me at all. It did make me think about the effects certain foods (ie lactose, wheat) had on my body, but I just realised I am not strong enough to lose the weight on my own. I know there is no quick fix, but I really want to lose 2 more stone to get to a healthy bmi.

It certainly hasn’t been a waste of time; I will keep the book, and refer back to it once I have lost the weight. I wish you lots of luck on your journey.. fingers crossed it will work for you!
I am off to try something else....

Thanks for the encouragement motherof2, and I really do wish you the very best of luck with your search! Keep us all updated - those of us that struggle need all the help we can get! I'll post as regularly as I can.

Just a note about something weird this last week - I've not changed any habits at all over the last week other than to try something my mother-in-law used to do in the late 1970's - one mug of hot water with a teaspoon of honey and a large teaspoon of cider vinegar. I don't know if it's coincidence, but almost 3lbs have gone off this week. I can't continue during phase 1 obviously, but I may well pick it back up again as soon as I can.

Anyway, all the very best - we will find our way.

Hi Jules.. just popped by to see how you are going. Start a diary, I am really interested in how you are getting on.

Will do - I've put something on my blog but will try to do it here instead (I'm a bit of a technophobe!!)

Hi Jules, you and i have similar stats so would be good to compare notes.
I've been looking at THD for a while now -In the beginning i started phase one 4 times in as many weeks but kept losing the plot at weekends. now am doing really well.
After having abused my body doing SW for 2 years, my metabolism was so low that even 1500cal per day wasnt shifting the weight. I was so deficient in fat soluable vitamins that i had all kinds of problems with dry skin to the point of needing steroid creams, i had very poor night vision, an intollerance to reverberation which meant that my hubby couldn't play his music very loud. I had athlete's foot, constantly cold feet and an obsession with food that meant i was eating every 30 mins and went nowhere without some low fat snack in my bag.
After trying the atkins for a bit and now following THD for only a couple of months, all of those problems are just memories, i feel fantastic and the weight is coming off slowly - it's taking time for my metabolism to recover.

I no longer obsess about food and my weight, am just enjoying eating well and not weighing myself everyotherday, just trusting my body to shed excess fat (my jeans are a lot looser). and i'm a bit fitter- still have a long way to go, but this is likely to be how i shall eat from now on, and how i shall bring up my two boys - hubby much happier too...

I hope you get involved and love it as much as i do

Cheers, Lorna

PS. I've just finished Zoe Harcombe's new book "The Obesity Epedemic" - what an eyeopener.

Hi Lorna - sorry I haven't responded earlier. Thank you so much for the post, it's really encouraging to hear how well you are feeling. I did SW for a while but was getting nowhere fast, really resenting paying almost a fiver a week just to get weighed and not feeling at all well. Although I stayed for the 'motivation' talk, it so wasn't (motivating that is!). It was just a few seconds on each person, a bit of applause if they had lost weight and nothing more.

This is working so much better for me. It makes sense, which is half the battle for me.

Thanks for the tip about the book - I'll definitely get it!

I'd be really interested to follow your journey - have you got a blog or another thread here?

Back