My Journey To The Brighton Marathon 2012

AlexRoy

Hello all,

I wanted somewhere to share my experiences over the coming months and this forum looks to be a great place to do it.

My weight has been up and down over the last few years, ranging from 14st 7 to 17st 7 - I've decided that enough is enough and I'm going to do things properly this time, the diet & exercise will become a way of life. I think I need a little extra motivation so I've signed up to run the Brighton Marathon for Water Aid in April 2012!

I've got a mammoth task ahead of me over the next 5 months - I currently weigh 16st 4 (Down from 17st two weeks ago) and I can barely run around the block. I want to get down to 13st(ish) by race day and obviously I need to get my fitness up to the point of being able to run 26 miles!

So far, so good. I've been running & dieting for 2 weeks now; my weight has dropped significantly and the 2k run I've been doing has become ever so slightly easier. I'm not following any set diet, just cutting out all junk foods like chocolate, crisps etc and strictly sticking to 3 meals a day with no snacking. I usually have a tuna salad for lunch & something like chicken with rice or a baked potato for dinner. Trying to keep protein high & the carbs low (except before a run).

I've really enjoyed reading some of your stories today & am very much looking forward to contributing to the forum! I shall try to update 2/3 times per week :)

A

Thanks for the support guys. It was a colleague's birthday today and he bought in plenty of calorific treats, i went for the carrot sticks and low fat humous rather than the cakes and pastries which i was proud of. Went for a 2k run tonight and knocked 20 seconds off my best time so today has been a successful one!

Another run tonight and another minute shaved off by pb over 2k! Will have to start upping the distance soon.

Been eating well - no slip ups whatsoever. I've never really been a breakfast person but have been trying to drink a pint of milk every morning for the protein.. would be interested in opinions on this, suitable meal replacement?

Weighed myself earlier - down to 16st 2 which means I'm down a stone after 17 days :cool: I don't have a weigh in day - just do it as and when I feel like it which is what works best for me!

Hi there... as a veteram marathon runner can I suggest you look at the runners world beginners program followed by their beginners marathon training guide... Best way it to get some distance before you look for speed... Very best of luck with both the run and the weightloss... ;o)

Thanks Sam. I have printed a schedule which I'll start following soon - just trying to get my body used to exercise again for now :)

I think I've been the laziest person on earth over the last couple of years and when I first went out, I had to stop after about 2 miutes of light jogging!!

It's been almost 4 weeks now & all seems to have gone well so far. I'm down to 15st 13 now which means I've lost 17lbs in total.

Diet wise I've only had one slip up which was on Friday. I went out with work for an "Eat all you can" chinese buffet and decided to treat myself & not hold back. Stuffed myself to the point where it was difficult walk afterwards & when I got home I'd put 6lbs on! It's gradually dropped off since though as I'm always strict with myself - just goes to show that the occasional treat CAN be okay, something that's always been a problem for me in the past.

I've not been running much to be honest, going to try to get out tonight though!

Nice moving into those 15's well done, I need a shove on the exercise direction as well

Sent from the hand of BB via a mobile device

Thanks beanboy. Things have definitely happened quicker this time with the exercise thrown in there! It's very easy to loose motivation after a day or too off though.

You must be a similar size to me, being 6 3 as well - it seems you're catching up too!!

Good luck, hope you get to the weight you want and the marathon! What a brill target :)

Good luck, hope you get to the weight you want and the marathon! What a brill target :)

Thanks Ruth. I'd definitely recommend an exercise based goal along with weight loss to anyone - it has doubled my motivation! I went for a really good run last night and was left feeling even more determined afterwards.

End of week 4! Got on the scales this morning - 15st 10lbs.

20lb loss so far which I'm pleased with & my fitness is much improving, I'm actually looking forward to running tonight (for once).

Back