My low losses

Girlygirl, you are a guru x

i know and i do understand. i've had some good losses over the weekend though, and as of this morning i was down 7lbs. just got on the scales now - same time of day as my weigh in tomorrow, and i'm only down a pound - if that. I've managed to gain 6lbs in one day. Have had a little cry.

I don't know if minimins is doing me any good. what's upsetting me is seeing everybody's losses, week after week. right from my pathetic 5lbs in week one, to the last two and likely this week. it's soul destroying to see the september thread and the christmas thread and everyone's diaries. this diet is exciting when you're dropping a stone a month. but when you're constantly reminded that everyone else is - or that their blips are only temporary, while mine go on and on... and it just makes me so sad. yes, i can go up to four packs a week next week... but what if it doesn't work, and i have a month of this kind of loss? longer?

i'm not strong enough to do this for a year or more. maybe surgery is the answer.

Dont give up we are all in the same position :(

Have you had your thyroid tested, just asked because 5 years ago I was a size 12 now I'm a size 24/26 and my eating and exercise hadn't changed much, turns out I had an underactive thyroid and PCOS - always worth getting it checked?

Big hugs
Lou x

Dont give up we are all in the same position :(

Have you had your thyroid tested, just asked because 5 years ago I was a size 12 now I'm a size 24/26 and my eating and exercise hadn't changed much, turns out I had an underactive thyroid and PCOS - always worth getting it checked?

Big hugs
Lou x

had it checked a few years ago. won't get to the doctor's now til half term.

spangles said:
i know and i do understand. i've had some good losses over the weekend though, and as of this morning i was down 7lbs. just got on the scales now - same time of day as my weigh in tomorrow, and i'm only down a pound - if that. I've managed to gain 6lbs in one day. Have had a little cry.

I don't know if minimins is doing me any good. what's upsetting me is seeing everybody's losses, week after week. right from my pathetic 5lbs in week one, to the last two and likely this week. it's soul destroying to see the september thread and the christmas thread and everyone's diaries. this diet is exciting when you're dropping a stone a month. but when you're constantly reminded that everyone else is - or that their blips are only temporary, while mine go on and on... and it just makes me so sad. yes, i can go up to four packs a week next week... but what if it doesn't work, and i have a month of this kind of loss? longer?

i'm not strong enough to do this for a year or more. maybe surgery is the answer.

Hun, u drunk all ur water today?? That's goin to weigh a lot. It's somethin like a lb per litre!! Don't be disheartened, I tend to weigh 1st thing every day before drinking my body weight in water... x

Hun, u drunk all ur water today?? That's goin to weigh a lot. It's somethin like a lb per litre!! Don't be disheartened, I tend to weigh 1st thing every day before drinking my body weight in water... x

i'd had about a litre and a half. which is 3 pounds, but only if i hadn't been to the loo. which of course, i have. :(

Yes, but the water doesn't just flush straight thru u, it hangs about to hydrate u for a bit, too x

i know. anyway, i just went for another little wee, took my (not especially heavy) trousers off, weighed myself and i'm down another 3lbs. grr. stupid, stupid, stupid!

and yes, I know - stop weighing. i never used to, but the last two weeks have come as such a nasty shock, i wanted to be prepared.

Yep the daily and many times daily weighing - not a good idea! For lots of reasons.

Everyone's body is different. Your body may not respond to VLCD-ing the way others' do. This might be a simple fact of biology. And if it is, there won't be much you can do about it.

In the meantime you might consider that extra pack, yes. But I sense that you are very scared of food, and to be honest that is a bit worrying. Food is inert, lifeless and has no will of its own. This might sound obvious (lol) but food has only as much power as WE give it.

Everything I have learned about losing weight and keeping it off was acquired the hardest way. Trust me on that one! I have stood where you now stand, Spangles. I have been anorexic and dangerously underweight, and I have been 20st 7lbs and dangerously overweight - and every damn point in-between.

I know what it is to fear food. But one thing I beg you - please, please do not go down the WLS route. It is not necessary. After WLS you will, quite honestly, be on a 'diet' of sorts for the rest of your life. The desire to eat does not magically go away. What does happen all too often is that you literally cannot eat without puking over and over, many times each day. I have friends who are post gastric bypass. One has such severe issues with malabsorption and malnutrition and loss of bone density that she is praying that some bariatric surgeon in the USA will agree to a 'takedown'. She fears she will die, otherwise. This is not as rare a scenario as those who sell WLS would have us think.

So whilst I agree that there are times when surgery is appropriate, I think ideally it is to be avoided at all costs. Just a personal opinion here, so please WLS patients, do not come after me. I am not seeking to insult or inflame anyone. I just think that there has to be a safer, more workable way to lose weight and keep it off. I have done this, MYSELF. So I do know what I am talking about.

There was a lovely gal on here a couple of years back. She had a bypass and for a while was walking on air. Last year she came back very briefly. Why? Because she had regained a few stones and was now on CD to try to shift the regain. I found myself wondering, rather sadly, what the so-and-so all her suffering had achieved. To be on a VLCD? After major abdominal surgery to lose weight? She vanished again after a few unsuccessful weeks of TFR.

Patients are often not told that in a great many cases the weight comes back. And that they will need to diet - yes, diet - for the rest of their lives, or get fat again. That is the truth. I read recently that a decent honest surgeon will say you may only lose around 20% of your weight, over time. Not 50%. That is one scary statistic for so much pain and so much severe tinkering with one's digestive system.

Okay, enough. I do feel passionately about this subject but I shall say no more. Bless you Spangles, just keep going. If need be find a different diet. Whatever you do, don't lose hope.

Last edited:
i gain at least 5lbs in a day! Becoming allergic to the scales!!

At the risk of sounding unsupportive... If it freaks you out so much you need to stop weighing yourself. I do it from day to day and sometimes after drinking a lot of water to see how many lbs it adds... I keep it in perspective and for my own peace of mind, I know that Science will take over on those hungry/miserable/difficult or thirsty days... Sauce x

Yep the daily and many times daily weighing - not a good idea! For lots of reasons.

Everyone's body is different. Your body may not respond to VLCD-ing the way others' do. This might be a simple fact of biology. And if it is, there won't be much you can do about it.

In the meantime you might consider that extra pack, yes. But I sense that you are very scared of food, and to be honest that is a bit worrying. Food is inert, lifeless and has no will of its own. This might sound obvious (lol) but food has only as much power as WE give it.

Everything I have learned about losing weight and keeping it off was acquired the hardest way. Trust me on that one! I have stood where you now stand, Spangles. I have been anorexic and dangerously underweight, and I have been 20st 7lbs and dangerously overweight - and every damn point in-between.

I know what it is to fear food. But one thing I beg you - please, please do not go down the WLS route. It is not necessary. After WLS you will, quite honestly, be on a 'diet' of sorts for the rest of your life. The desire to eat does not magically go away. What does happen all too often is that you literally cannot eat without puking over and over, many times each day. I have friends who are post gastric bypass. One has such severe issues with malabsorption and malnutrition and loss of bone density that she is praying that some bariatric surgeon in the USA will agree to a 'takedown'. She fears she will die, otherwise. This is not as rare a scenario as those who sell WLS would have us think.

So whilst I agree that there are times when surgery is appropriate, I think ideally it is to be avoided at all costs. Just a personal opinion here, so please WLS patients, do not come after me. I am not seeking to insult or inflame anyone. I just think that there has to be a safer, more workable way to lose weight and keep it off. I have done this, MYSELF. So I do know what I am talking about.

There was a lovely gal on here a couple of years back. She had a bypass and for a while was walking on air. Last year she came back very briefly. Why? Because she had regained a few stones and was now on CD to try to shift the regain. I found myself wondering, rather sadly, what the so-and-so all her suffering had achieved. To be on a VLCD? After major abdominal surgery to lose weight? She vanished again after a few unsuccessful weeks of TFR.

Patients are often not told that in a great many cases the weight comes back. And that they will need to diet - yes, diet - for the rest of their lives, or get fat again. That is the truth. I read recently that a decent honest surgeon will say you may only lose around 20% of your weight, over time. Not 50%. That is one scary statistic for so much pain and so much severe tinkering with one's digestive system.

Okay, enough. I do feel passionately about this subject but I shall say no more. Bless you Spangles, just keep going. If need be find a different diet. Whatever you do, don't lose hope.

yeah - i know about relapse rates with WLS - not to mention the other potentially very nasty complcations. but that's what i've been referred for by my doctor, because my history of diets and binging has exhausted all the other options. And i really have done them all. Over and over and over again. And for the last few years every diet has lead to my gaining weight in very short order. You see, i'm not frightened of food - i'm just loathing of how i am around food when i try to lose weight. This is my last chance. And to have to accept that this doesn't work for me, is - you'll understand - high stakes.

If this doesn't work... If i have to give up, then I will never have a baby.I don't know if can be bothered with WLS. I'm only doing this to be eligible for IVF.

At the risk of sounding unsupportive... If it freaks you out so much you need to stop weighing yourself. I do it from day to day and sometimes after drinking a lot of water to see how many lbs it adds... I keep it in perspective and for my own peace of mind, I know that Science will take over on those hungry/miserable/difficult or thirsty days... Sauce x

yeah, i know - i've done the rest of the diet without more than two or three jumps on my scales. it's just that i wanted not to be so shocked this week. i wanted to monitor my progress. the result is just that i got upset tonight at home rather than tomorrow at my cdc's, as i have for the last two weeks.

Dear Spangles, I dont think I have lost anything this week and everyone keeps eating near me. Please accept this as an invitation to move into a cave with me? We can be hermits together, only allowed out to do occasional lessons and weigh. I am a very well behaved cave guest and think we would have fun!

RSVP. Lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Spangles, I dont think I have lost anything this week and everyone keeps eating near me. Please accept this as an invitation to move into a cave with me? We can be hermits together, only allowed out to do occasional lessons and weigh. I am a very well behaved cave guest and think we would have fun!

RSVP. Lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ooh yes - let's do that. can i have a lovely comfy bed and hot, deep baths?

But of course. We shall have a bathroom each, with great big tubs. And lovely lovely snuggly beds :D x

Ha ha you two! *please may I come.too?*
Spangles, I feel so so sorry for you-not in a pity/patronising/condescending way though, I'm sure that's the last thing you need!
I'm not well informed enough to give you any advice but if I could wave a magic wand for you I would. I hope your body pulls its finger out soon and sorts it out for you and gives you the results you bloody well deserve.
Hugs xxxx

Yep, Jess you are allowed too. But you've gotta bring your boot camp man and the 30day shred dvd :) x

Deal? x

Back