My Maintenance Diary + food pics

How is the skin doing? I meant to ask yesterday.

Yeah it's not too clever tbh. I think I get it under control then something sets it off and it flares up again, is driving me insane!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: I took picture of it last night. Think I'm going to make an appointment with the doctor and if it's calmed down will be able to take the pic in to show how bad it gets. It's just so flippin' itchy, I wake up and realise I've been scratching away in my sleep. May have to invest in a mask :eek: - to wear outside too :8855:

PICT0877.jpg

I got hold of some aloe vera gel like you suggested. The skin on my face is really too sensitive and it stung although I have used it on the rest of my body and it was ace after I'd been in the sun. The rest of my skin, especially the bits that have seen some sun, is in excellent condition. I haven't tried the apple cider vinegar so will remember to put it on my shopping list. Don't know if I'd apply it direct to the skin, got a feeling that would sting like mad too.

I looked for some sun-dried tomatoes in Tesco yesterday, but you were right they were all in oil so I decided I'd leave it. May just try using some tomato purée instead to get an more intense tomato flavour. I think I've got the rest of the ingredients so may try that today (am excited).

I made some sweet potato wedges for supper last night and my version of tzatziki dip (soya yoghurt, garlic, cucumber, mint, salt, pepper, lemon juice, tsp granulated sweetener). Was yum.
sp wedges and tzatziki.jpg

I was up 'til gone-4 this morning having drunk too much coke and having too much coursework to do. Was up at 9:30 so pleased not to have too much of a lie in. I must abstain from going back to bed later though otherwise my sleep pattern will be right down the toilet. This always happens when I'm on holiday then I bug ger myself up for going back to work. So the aim for the day is to exhaust myself then go to bed at a 'sensible' hour.
Right, dragging myself out on the bike today. Have been too lazy this week and need to get my ar$e in gear (repeating myself having done nothing since the last time I said this :8855:)

Have you tried making your own sundried toms Andrea? It's really easy and syn free :D Just half your toms, put them on a baking tray. Sprinkle with a bit of salt, (i use sea salt) then you can either spray with olive oil frylight, hexb or syn some oil and then stick them in the oven on about 150c for ages..........until they have gone darker and shriveled somewhat :D Not very technical instructions, but I promise you they are absolutely delicious........such a beautiful and intense flavour :D

Yeah it's not too clever tbh. I think I get it under control then something sets it off and it flares up again, is driving me insane!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: I took picture of it last night. Think I'm going to make an appointment with the doctor and if it's calmed down will be able to take the pic in to show how bad it gets. It's just so flippin' itchy, I wake up and realise I've been scratching away in my sleep. May have to invest in a mask :eek: - to wear outside too :8855:

View attachment 51452

I got hold of some aloe vera gel like you suggested. The skin on my face is really too sensitive and it stung although I have used it on the rest of my body and it was ace after I'd been in the sun. The rest of my skin, especially the bits that have seen some sun, is in excellent condition. I haven't tried the apple cider vinegar so will remember to put it on my shopping list. Don't know if I'd apply it direct to the skin, got a feeling that would sting like mad too.

I looked for some sun-dried tomatoes in Tesco yesterday, but you were right they were all in oil so I decided I'd leave it. May just try using some tomato purée instead to get an more intense tomato flavour. I think I've got the rest of the ingredients so may try that today (am excited).

I made some sweet potato wedges for supper last night and my version of tzatziki dip (soya yoghurt, garlic, cucumber, mint, salt, pepper, lemon juice, tsp granulated sweetener). Was yum.
View attachment 51455

I was up 'til gone-4 this morning having drunk too much coke and having too much coursework to do. Was up at 9:30 so pleased not to have too much of a lie in. I must abstain from going back to bed later though otherwise my sleep pattern will be right down the toilet. This always happens when I'm on holiday then I bug ger myself up for going back to work. So the aim for the day is to exhaust myself then go to bed at a 'sensible' hour.
Right, dragging myself out on the bike today. Have been too lazy this week and need to get my ar$e in gear (repeating myself having done nothing since the last time I said this :8855:)

Hmmmm that's a surprise as it's a cooling aid hence why they use it on burns. I am surprised it stung. :( If you haven't tried the avocado and banana face mask give it a go. Do you drink a lot of caffeine? I only ask as that can wreak havoc with excema and I noticed you said you had drunk a lot of coke ;) Last week hubbie had a patch on his forehead. I asked him what he had done differently? Two coffees at work coupled with two bad shifts! :( The vinegar WILL sting. Try the castor oil or almond oil instead. Try to get the cold pressed version, has more of the goodness left in it. I know you cut out the dairy but look out for it hidden in other foods you may be having. Sorry if I am doing your head in. I will shut up if you want. :eek:

Sure experiment with the tomato puree, let me know how it turns out. Good idea of Corky's there to make your own but you do have to have the oven on for ages I would imagine. ((Sigh)) dehydrator needed again! ;)
Hope the bike ride went well! :D :D

Have you tried making your own sundried toms Andrea? It's really easy and syn free :D Just half your toms, put them on a baking tray. Sprinkle with a bit of salt, (i use sea salt) then you can either spray with olive oil frylight, hexb or syn some oil and then stick them in the oven on about 150c for ages..........until they have gone darker and shriveled somewhat :D Not very technical instructions, but I promise you they are absolutely delicious........such a beautiful and intense flavour :D

Ooh, didn't even think of making my own. They're in the oven now :) how long is ages? (I'm hungry :eating:). Thanks for that suggestion. x

Hmmmm that's a surprise as it's a cooling aid hence why they use it on burns. I am surprised it stung. :( If you haven't tried the avocado and banana face mask give it a go. Do you drink a lot of caffeine? I only ask as that can wreak havoc with excema and I noticed you said you had drunk a lot of coke ;) Last week hubbie had a patch on his forehead. I asked him what he had done differently? Two coffees at work coupled with two bad shifts! :( The vinegar WILL sting. Try the castor oil or almond oil instead. Try to get the cold pressed version, has more of the goodness left in it. I know you cut out the dairy but look out for it hidden in other foods you may be having. Sorry if I am doing your head in. I will shut up if you want. :eek:

Sure experiment with the tomato puree, let me know how it turns out. Good idea of Corky's there to make your own but you do have to have the oven on for ages I would imagine. ((Sigh)) dehydrator needed again! ;)
Hope the bike ride went well! :D :D

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I may actually be distraught if it's the caffeine. I love my diet cokes, have had two cans today already but since reading that have just had squash :( You are NOT doing my head in, I'm really grateful for your input, I would never have thought it was caffeine. In-fact when you suggested that the first thing I thought was that I don't have caffeine in my diet having cut out coffee and tea for a number of weeks now :doh: forgot about the coke :rolleyes:. I wouldn't care I nearly bought the caffeine free stuff yesterday but the Coke Zero was calling my name.

I think my version of your sauce is bordering on the ridiculous as I don't have all of those ingredients. Will be using white onion instead of red, yellow bell pepper instead of red, I don't have any fresh basil but I do have mint so that'll be going in (you may think that sounds a bit rank mint in tomato sauce but have tried it before and it's honestly really quite nice). I also don't have any more tomatoes as the only ones I had (cherry toms) are now "sundrying" in the oven, so may have to go and search for a tin. Apart from that it'll be spot on the same :8855: ooh, except that I won't be able to put in any olive oil as I don't have any syns left. Although, depending on the length of time the tomatoes take I may just leave it "meld" overnight then I could have the olive oil in as it will be a HEx for tomorrow. Soooooo, sorry I'm completely rambling now :eek:

The ride was really glorious. I went all the way down to Roker and back. The weather was beautiful and the route is so picturesque. It makes me feel really lucky to live where I do with countryside on the doorstep and the coast just a short ride away. You take it for granted really. I wouldn't live anywhere else. You can shove London where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned. I hate it, it gives me the creeps.
Anyway I took a few piccies so thought I'd share:

Banks of the wear.jpgStadium of Light.jpgRoker.jpg

Even got a few sneaky ones of the squirrels in James Steel Park coming back

Squirrel1.jpgSquirrel2.jpg

Having said all that, I did struggle for that last couple of miles. Did a lot of stretching when I got back but could feel the muscles seizing up almost immediately :mad: (can't believe that just a few days of being sedentary has had such an affect). It's quite a hilly route and I think it's more like interval training as you just get up one hill and have time to recover before the next one hits you, so it was quite punishing on the old knees too. Made sure I took a strong anti-inflammatory when I got back and am not feeling any pain now so hopefully will be recovered enough to go again tomorrow. :fingerscrossed: Not sure whether to do the same route or go back up to Consett.

Right, well all that's taken about 45 mins to type. Do you think they'll be done yet? :giggle:

Apologies for the long post :rolleyes:

Thanks Jo xx Nice to have you back. :)

Will update diary tomorrow as am knackered having done same ride as yesterday then sat and frazzled my brain with finance stuff since I got back, (and need to be up early to cycle to work) :crazy:

Night x

They need a LOVE button for the squirrel!!! He/she is ADORABLE!! Very pretty place too, gorgeous. :)
Experiment away with the dish, let me know what you think as the mint sounds unusual, also the pepper doesn't matter. I made it again tonight (!) and I used an orange one. I think as long as red, yellow or orange it will be fine. Not too keen on green ones. White onion not as sweet but again, why not? I posted this link to sun dried tomatoes on my thread.
Sainsbury's do them Sun Dried Tomatoes
Hope you aren't too sore today! I walked five miles today with the girls. Oh I was meaning to ask you do you ever get any pain down the tops of your thighs. On the outer bit after cycling? I feel it there, nowhere else but it's an odd pain, not had it before and only after cycling. Just wondered if it was me. :eek:
Hope you are well, will chip in for your sponsorship now. If I have any problems following the link will get back to you x

Gotta love the squirrels :D They do get a bad press but I love the little things.
The raw marinara was very delish although I did cheat a bit by having cooked quorn meatballs with it. The white onion was a bit on the hot side so would probably use red next time. The mint was ok too, didn't overpower or stand out that much just gave it a freshness (not that it wasn't fresh it being raw and all that :giggle:). I took leftovers to work for my lunch today. It did get heated in the microwave but was still pretty raw cos I had to chew it!

Pleased to report the old skin has cleared up no end. The magical cure... good ole vaseline. Mighty greasy but just what's been needed I think. I haven't let the skin dry out at all keep plastering it on throughout the day and have been trying to have minimal contact with it just in-case I was transferring something that was making me itch (especially things like chilli that I use so much of when I cook). Has all cleared now so am v pleased. And the bits of skin that were so dry now actually feel like there's a bit of moisture there so :fingerscrossed: I may have cracked it.

I've not been too sore today but my thigh muscles are definitely fatigued. It was a struggle on the banks today but I wasn't late getting to work so mustn't have held me up too much. I do feel it the most in my thighs, particularly down the front and especially just above the knee. I've never really been aware of pain down the sides of my thighs though. I just give in and take anti-inflammatory's can't be doing with pain and I feel it helps me recover quicker. I'm having a day off tomorrow. Three days in a row is enough but have a game of squash lined up for Friday as am determined not to get all lazy over the weekend like I did last week.

Just wanted to say thanks again for your sponsorship, made my week. :D :D

WI tomorrow and after a less active week and more naughty treats than I usually have, plus * week I feel STS coming on. Will be unhappy if I gain as I feel I've done enough in the last three days to cancel out the naughty food and lack of exercise but as I said last week, I'm at a loss to explain how my body is deciding to work atm. I got a huge surprise last week, I hope to be pleasantly surprised once again tomorrow but I seriously doubt it.

Book and bed time.

Night x

Gotta love the squirrels :D They do get a bad press but I love the little things.
The raw marinara was very delish although I did cheat a bit by having cooked quorn meatballs with it. The white onion was a bit on the hot side so would probably use red next time. The mint was ok too, didn't overpower or stand out that much just gave it a freshness (not that it wasn't fresh it being raw and all that :giggle:). I took leftovers to work for my lunch today. It did get heated in the microwave but was still pretty raw cos I had to chew it!

Pleased to report the old skin has cleared up no end. The magical cure... good ole vaseline. Mighty greasy but just what's been needed I think. I haven't let the skin dry out at all keep plastering it on throughout the day and have been trying to have minimal contact with it just in-case I was transferring something that was making me itch (especially things like chilli that I use so much of when I cook). Has all cleared now so am v pleased. And the bits of skin that were so dry now actually feel like there's a bit of moisture there so :fingerscrossed: I may have cracked it.

I've not been too sore today but my thigh muscles are definitely fatigued. It was a struggle on the banks today but I wasn't late getting to work so mustn't have held me up too much. I do feel it the most in my thighs, particularly down the front and especially just above the knee. I've never really been aware of pain down the sides of my thighs though. I just give in and take anti-inflammatory's can't be doing with pain and I feel it helps me recover quicker. I'm having a day off tomorrow. Three days in a row is enough but have a game of squash lined up for Friday as am determined not to get all lazy over the weekend like I did last week.

Just wanted to say thanks again for your sponsorship, made my week. :D :D

WI tomorrow and after a less active week and more naughty treats than I usually have, plus * week I feel STS coming on. Will be unhappy if I gain as I feel I've done enough in the last three days to cancel out the naughty food and lack of exercise but as I said last week, I'm at a loss to explain how my body is deciding to work atm. I got a huge surprise last week, I hope to be pleasantly surprised once again tomorrow but I seriously doubt it.

Book and bed time.

Night x

Yup you gotta love the squirrels! :D Great your version turned out and you enjoyed it. It will always be raw but the intention is to preserve the nutrients hence the low heat cooking so microwaves are out :giggle:did you make the courgette pasta with your vegetable peeler in the end too? Glad your skin is feeling better.
Yup my thighs it's just down the sides. Think it's the vastus lateralis muscle Google Image Result for http://www.risingpianofire.com/thigh_muscles_superficial_anterior.png

You are welcome on the sponsorship, are your friends and family sponsoring you too?
A STS isn't bad, you will drop extra off next week no doubt! :) What book are you reading? I am reading a Lynda La Plante, Cold Shoulder it's called. Really enjoying it.

:eek::eek::eek: The courgette I had had gone a bit slimy :eek::eek::eek: so I made spaghetti :eek::eek::eek:.
Will definitely do it all again "properly" when I next go shopping. I feel like a right cheater!!

I have got some sponsors from work peeps and family although they have all just gone on the sponsor form to avoid the 5% just giving fee.

I sent a msg, pretty much the same as my sig on here, to all friends on fb but no takers as yet :( It's a difficult time for people and I think people are constantly doing things for charity and asking for money so I don't mind. I'm doing it primarily to raise the money but I'll freely admit that I'm doing it for me too. It's given me such a focus. There's a guy at work (not the most subtle of dudes) laughs every time I mention doing the bike ride (he cycles in to work every day but isn't doing it). He doesn't think I'll do it. He laughs and points when I rock up all red and sweaty after cycling in and tbh, it does hurt my feelings a bit ( I can be uber sensitive about certain silly little things like that) but just makes me determined to prove him wrong.

Sorry, I've gone off on one there.

Looks like you're starting a revolution over on your thread :) Has made me go off in search of vegetarian recipes and non-meat products (as was getting ready to turn in an hour ago then read your thread and I'm still here, having been perusing the recipes forum on here and following lots of vegan / veggie people on Twitter). This is why the internet is so *aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh* one thing leads to another, leads to another. V informative though but I could be here all night and I haven't had any coke to keep me awake this time ;) If you're ok with it would you post a link to your fb group so I can have a lookie?

I'm ok with the STS. Am loving the 5lbs sub-thread going on with the tinselers :D

How are your thighs? Are they loosening up any or are they always just as bad every time you cycle? The only thing I could possibly think of is the angle of your legs when cycling. Don't know how to explain really but when I see some people out cycling it looks as though their legs are at five to one, or even ten to two (like the clock face). I make a concious effort to have mine at twelve o'clock which may be why I feel it more in the knees. Have you asked your hubby?

I'm reading "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton atm. 200 pages in to 650 pages. It's an easy read, just long but the chapters are fairly short so getting through it ok. I had a bit of a compulsive moment in ASDA tonight. Went in for a couple of bits and ended up coming out with five new books!! I have so many to read already but they had 2 for £7 or 3 for £10 and I can't pass up a lovely shiny new cover (especially if a bargain). I only went down that isle to see if they had the first of the "fifty shades" books that everyone's raving about. Needless to say that of the five I bought the fifty shades = none :sigh:. Like there isn't enough time in the day already!! Ah well, at least my compulsions have moved from sandwiches, crisps and chocolate to literature. I can live with that I think :D

Night x

P.S. When it's late at night and I'm sat here in the dark I don't half get a flippin' fright when Esther Rantzen suddenly pops up out of nowhere. Those bliddy teeth of hers! Scares the 5hite outta me... GO AWAY ESTER!!! STOP STARING!!! *End*

Note to self:
ASDA Meat Free Meatballs: :sign0137: :yuk::9529::cry::brushing teeth::spit: :brushing teeth::spit: :rolleyes: :sigh2: :zz:

Night x

Sorry for being a bit absent but there's a football tournament on ya knar!

Disahhhhhster (spoken a la Craig Revell Horwood) happened today.

My bike is broke
:cry::cry::cry::mad:

Kaput. Finished. Gone to the big cycle heaven in the sky (or rather will be going back to Argos and I'll be getting me money back tyvm).

Still a pain in the ar$e though!

Right, second-half's about to start so cheery-bye

:eek::eek::eek: The courgette I had had gone a bit slimy :eek::eek::eek: so I made spaghetti :eek::eek::eek:.
Will definitely do it all again "properly" when I next go shopping. I feel like a right cheater!!

I have got some sponsors from work peeps and family although they have all just gone on the sponsor form to avoid the 5% just giving fee.

I sent a msg, pretty much the same as my sig on here, to all friends on fb but no takers as yet :( It's a difficult time for people and I think people are constantly doing things for charity and asking for money so I don't mind. I'm doing it primarily to raise the money but I'll freely admit that I'm doing it for me too. It's given me such a focus. There's a guy at work (not the most subtle of dudes) laughs every time I mention doing the bike ride (he cycles in to work every day but isn't doing it). He doesn't think I'll do it. He laughs and points when I rock up all red and sweaty after cycling in and tbh, it does hurt my feelings a bit ( I can be uber sensitive about certain silly little things like that) but just makes me determined to prove him wrong.

Sorry, I've gone off on one there.

Looks like you're starting a revolution over on your thread :) Has made me go off in search of vegetarian recipes and non-meat products (as was getting ready to turn in an hour ago then read your thread and I'm still here, having been perusing the recipes forum on here and following lots of vegan / veggie people on Twitter). This is why the internet is so *aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh* one thing leads to another, leads to another. V informative though but I could be here all night and I haven't had any coke to keep me awake this time ;) If you're ok with it would you post a link to your fb group so I can have a lookie?

I'm ok with the STS. Am loving the 5lbs sub-thread going on with the tinselers :D

How are your thighs? Are they loosening up any or are they always just as bad every time you cycle? The only thing I could possibly think of is the angle of your legs when cycling. Don't know how to explain really but when I see some people out cycling it looks as though their legs are at five to one, or even ten to two (like the clock face). I make a concious effort to have mine at twelve o'clock which may be why I feel it more in the knees. Have you asked your hubby?

I'm reading "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton atm. 200 pages in to 650 pages. It's an easy read, just long but the chapters are fairly short so getting through it ok. I had a bit of a compulsive moment in ASDA tonight. Went in for a couple of bits and ended up coming out with five new books!! I have so many to read already but they had 2 for £7 or 3 for £10 and I can't pass up a lovely shiny new cover (especially if a bargain). I only went down that isle to see if they had the first of the "fifty shades" books that everyone's raving about. Needless to say that of the five I bought the fifty shades = none :sigh:. Like there isn't enough time in the day already!! Ah well, at least my compulsions have moved from sandwiches, crisps and chocolate to literature. I can live with that I think :D

Night x

P.S. When it's late at night and I'm sat here in the dark I don't half get a flippin' fright when Esther Rantzen suddenly pops up out of nowhere. Those bliddy teeth of hers! Scares the 5hite outta me... GO AWAY ESTER!!! STOP STARING!!! *End*

What is Esther doing in your house?!!? ;) Hubbie said that he thinks I rock but I don't think I do. I can't adjust the seat any more than it has been, being a titch will do that! That book is supposed to be rather racy, but prefer mine gritty tbh :D
I didn't know that you had to pay a 5% fee, it's for CHARITY ffs! :mad: I should have sent you a cheque :(
I admin in a few groups most for vegans already, but the one I think you mean is Vegan Sanctuary - Making the transition. It's a secret group so you won't find it. To stop the trolls and there are many on FB! I would have to friend you and then add you. As for recipes, what kind are you after? I have tons. Sorry to hear about the bike, what happened? Ignore the idiot who is bugging you, I am EXACTLY the same, uber sensitive doesn't mean he has the right to be a d!ck though. :( Let the 5lb sub team down. I STS! Typical my head is all over the place. :( x

What is Esther doing in your house?!!? ;) Hubbie said that he thinks I rock but I don't think I do. I can't adjust the seat any more than it has been, being a titch will do that! That book is supposed to be rather racy, but prefer mine gritty tbh :D
I didn't know that you had to pay a 5% fee, it's for CHARITY ffs! :mad: I should have sent you a cheque :(
I admin in a few groups most for vegans already, but the one I think you mean is Vegan Sanctuary - Making the transition. It's a secret group so you won't find it. To stop the trolls and there are many on FB! I would have to friend you and then add you. As for recipes, what kind are you after? I have tons. Sorry to hear about the bike, what happened? Ignore the idiot who is bugging you, I am EXACTLY the same, uber sensitive doesn't mean he has the right to be a d!ck though. :( Let the 5lb sub team down. I STS! Typical my head is all over the place. :( x

That god she's not in my bliddy house. That'd get me out of here even quicker I think!

I think the fee is an admin thing. Makes me :mad: too as they describe it as a "small fee" on the website and I don't think it's small at all. They do claim all of the gift aid on behalf of the charity though. I looked into all the different ways of donating and you can do it straight to the hospice's website but then they have to claim the gift aid which costs a fee or paypal charge a fee or something so it's all relative in the end. I will put the 5% back in myself on your behalf.

The rear wheel gear has gone. The chain is turning but it's not moving the wheel and when I took a closer look the ball bearings in the rear axle of the bike had started to fall out. :rolleyes: :sigh: It's probably what contributed to the chain keep falling off. It's going back tomorrow :cry:(have become quite attached) but I should be getting a full refund so, now that I'm really into it, am going to get something brand new that's a bit better as I think it'll be money well spent. Am also going to go on a course to learn about bike care so I have a bit more of a clue if anything happens in-future.

You did not let anyone down!! There's no way I'm going to get close to a 5lb loss either this week, it was a pipe-dream but worth a try anyway. I think you've done really well to STS when you've had an off-week. I was where you are last week and yes, I felt disappointed, but I took that disappointed feeling and thought "I don't want to feel like this next week" and it has motivated me. Just a shame other factors have got in the way instead, but that's life, 5hit happens. Look at your overall achievement, you've done so well. Go take a look at that first page from the Team Tinsel thread. How many people have lost more than what you have? (I can count them on one finger). Also do you see the pattern in your STS's? Might be something, might be nothing... Have you done your measurements again this week? Hope you're ok and not too disappointed.
:bighug:

Last edited:
Back